Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:38:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOUL HEALER: A 3-player Coop Action RPG, inspired by Secret of Mana
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: SOUL HEALER: A 3-player Coop Action RPG, inspired by Secret of Mana  (Read 10973 times)
HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »

Phew, back guys! Game isn't dead. I've just been working on improving my art skills. Finally starting working in earnest on the game recently, so I'm back with some new art. I'll respond to your kind comments first, though. Sorry for taking so long!

Very reminiscent of the SoM spells, obviously. Nothing wrong with that, I know that's what you're going for. I  like the effect - but I think the time after the lightning strikes, before motions resumes again, is a bit too long. I might try to cut that down by .5 seconds or so.

Good eye! I might cut down the time a bit. I forget if I just didn't bother doing it yet, or if it's at the length it is because that's when the thunder sound effect fades out. Either way, I'll cut it down if I show it soundless in a trailer. You're right that it seems to hang a bit too long in this gif, for sure!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Looks Great!
Btw, I noticed the destructible fence posts, and that with the hint on flooded deserts has me excited. I always like games that have a world that changes with plot progression, and you can interact with it.

Thanks, oddcat! Yes, I'm looking forward to making a game that constantly surprises the player with how much you can do with it. I have a notebook full of little ideas and scenarios to catch the player off guard and to impress them, make them laugh, or otherwise make the game better. I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my girlfriend has never really been a gamer, so she doesn't appreciate core RPG mechanics as much as most of us probably would. Whenever I make something new, I try to think about making something that will surprise her or make her smile. I really think this way of thinking about things is going to make something really refreshing for all of us old-time gamers. And of course I'm going to polish the main gameplay loop till it sparkles! I do love my traditional games, hahah! :D
Hey hey ! Definitely keeping my eye out for this one ! Smiley looks immensely good !

Thanks M2M! Appreciated! =)
Looks good, not sure about the gameplay though...

Glad you like the graphics! Guess I'll just have to sell you on the gameplay too, heheh! =D

Looks good, not sure about the gameplay though...

not sure about your comment...

This game looks amazing! Post more gifs! I love me some 16bit-ish ARPG's.. I believe the genre has plenty of untapped potential. I'll believe that until the day we have 1/10th as many ARPG's as we have side scrolling platformers..

Thanks a lot, Delta! I agree with your sentiment - not nearly enough ARPGs out there! And I think mine is going to be a refreshing change for us, even compared to this mostly untapped genre!:)

Beautiful pixels Kiss
Thanks, flip! I'm trying, hahah! :D

Alright! Now, for some new art! =)

First up, we have some evil fish bones, for the desert area. They rise out of the sand if you venture too close! Tread softly, hahah! Grin

Second up, we have a house, for the seaside town I'm currently working on!

And lastly, we have a creepy wolf/tentacle abomination. Just finished him today:

He lurks in the Forest of Rot. Because the entire forest is blanketed in a noxious miasma, nothing natural can live here. Things unnatural are happy to haunt the place, though. Fighting is not an option here, as the player is inflicted with [BLIGHT] upon entering the forest. Your only option is to run (limp) away, as fast as you can! Grin

Here's the song sketch for the Forest of Rot. Play it along with the wolf, if you have the nerves! (hahah!)
Warning: Crappy upload, high volume. Turn down your speakers before you click!
https://soundcloud.com/james1012yahoo/forest-of-rot

Thanks for looking, as always, guys. Will be updating more often from now on. Working on this every day again now! Beer!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:31:24 PM by HIDEJI » Logged

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »

That monster design is really amazing and the forest of rot sounds delightfully grotesque

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »

Thanks, jct! Smiley

Small update for today:

Skeleton for an old castle. When he's done, he'll be tossing that scythe around everywhere, smashing columns, breaking tables, and just being an all-around asshole in general, hahah. Should be fun. :')

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »

Very (very) dark hallway:

And the direct link, since this forum can't display pictures wider than like 200 pixels for some reason... https://zippy.gfycat.com/GoldenTintedCygnet.gif

Yes, the game will have gamma and brightness settings, hahah!

ollipekka
Level 0

spacegamedev

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »

As a Secret of Mana fan, this looks great. I think you have captured the aesthetic really well.

I remember SoM as huge game (almost too huge and it was easy to get lost). What sort of length have you been thinking about for the story?

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »

Thanks, olli! I'm looking to make something around the same length as Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, so twenty to twenty-five hours long for the main story. =)

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:49 AM »

Yes, this game is still alive! Been practicing a lot for the past few months, and I'm redoing all the main character's sprites right now.

I think she's adorable! :'D
More soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic