Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:15:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWobbledogs
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: Wobbledogs  (Read 232435 times)
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »

hahaha I like the idea of them walking over and attaching themselves to the hands for breeding

Caravan: devlog | website
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »

hahaha I like the idea of them walking over and attaching themselves to the hands for breeding
Yeah that gif is great. I don't even know what the actual gameplay will be, but this looks amazing.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »

This devlog is work of art.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:01 AM »

Gomez

bjxrn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »

I am so loving every single GIF in this thread.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »

Hey you should export to HTML5 and make a Wobble Dog art park
http://electricobjects.com/
so people can put their dogs on display in their homes as virtual zoos

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2016, 12:30:59 AM »

Oooh, this does sound like the kind of game that would work best with a community where people could share their wobbledog stories and breeds

Also:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »

how did they miss the opportunity to call it pneumutt(ic)
awful name upthinker people

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2016, 01:37:11 PM »

how did they miss the opportunity to call it pneumutt(ic)
awful name upthinker people

Ahem.

Pnefoundland

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »

Super happy that gif's funnier to more people than just me. I'm trying pretty hard to blend Tech and Goof.

Hey you should export to HTML5 and make a Wobble Dog art park
http://electricobjects.com/
so people can put their dogs on display in their homes as virtual zoos

Yooo this is neat. I don't know if it's going to end up being reasonable to export this game to HTML5 (I've had a rough time with the unity HTML5 exporter in the past), but I really love the idea of having some persistent wobblers just hanging out on the wall. At the very least it'd be easy enough to put in a mode with needs disabled so the dogs didn't need you to take care of them, and maybe some simple auto camera functionality.

Look at him go! I love how janky that thing is. Hardcore agree with you all on the missed naming opportunity though.

---

Tiny update. Got the beginnings of the familiarity stuff hooked up to objects. This means that dogs are wary of stuff they haven't seen before.

Still lots to do with this system but it's fun to see it start to fall into place! Still need to hook this stuff up to dogs as well, and then I gotta do balancing and some minor polish. After that I think I'll be ready to start working on dog/dog behaviors again. Some of you might remember that I had some play behaviors working a few months back, but I had to rip those out when I refactored the AI system to be real and I haven't had a chance to revisit those since. Very excited to get that stuff back though.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »

This devlog brings warmth to my cold and bitter heart.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »

This devlog brings warmth to my cold and bitter heart.

I aim to defrost and inspire.

---

Little update since I've been quiet for a bit.

The familiarity stuff isn't done yet but I've got it hooked up better and the beginnings of dog/dog associations are in. Right now dogs get mad at other dogs for barking when they're trying to sleep. Additionally, dogs are now less likely to interact with things they're afraid of. This is easy to translate to other emotions, but there's a lot of balancing that needs to go into it.

My current energy, however, is going back into dog pattern generation. I had started to get into it a while back but it wasn't super straightforward so I had put it on the backburner. I'm back at it now though, and I've got a strategy that's working pretty well!

There's a decent amount of info here even though I'm not done yet, so gather 'round...

My initial pipe dream was to evolve the patterns similarly to how they might generate in nature. I did a little research into this but my dreams were slowly crushed under the pressing weight of Math.

I landed on this page (http://www.theshapeofmath.com/princeton/dynsys/pattern) and although it was super interesting, it was also a little above my mathematical skill level and getting this working and controllable to the level I need wouldn't be the best use of my time.

Thankfully, I came up with another way of making this stuff work. This is probably really obvious to anyone who's tried to do this sort of thing before, but I was pretty pleased when I came up with it. It's basically just image compositing. I pre-draw some simple shapes and combine them into a single image according to a dog's genes and some special rules for each type of pattern. The result looks pretty good and is super easy to control and extend, so I'm really happy with it.

My pool of example textures is pretty small right now so you can notice some repeating patterns, but it's super easy to add more so I'm not too worried.

Spots are real easy. They have pools of different sizes to choose from, and the resultant images can be flipped in any direction and placed at any location.

Stripes are a little more complex but still not that bad. They're built from connecting segments (6 types of base segments and currently only 2 variations of each type) so they can be any size, and they can change horizontal placement, shorten themselves, or flip upside down right now.

Obviously I plan on having more types of patterns and per-pattern variations than just these, but this is where I am so far and even just this basic set of stuff is giving me a nice variety of dog looks.

The other aspect to this that took up a decent amount of my time was figuring out how to seamlessly and dynamically set up textures for these guys. I drew out lots of complex diagrams to try and figure out how best to set up UVs and generate textures that would seamlessly loop in all directions, but in the end I decided to simplify things and avoid having any patterns generate on the front and back faces. I might still revisit in the future, but for now I'm pretty ok with how things are looking, especially since their faces cover the front body face and they might eventually have tails in the way of the back one.

ALSO, it's worth noting that not all dogs will have patterned bodies; it's a gene thing just like everything else. The basic dog, for example, is still the same as ever.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »

Good progress on textures.

In the last post they were generated based off random values but now they're coming completely from genes, which means they interface nice with breeding.

Those gifs were actually recorded before stripes were completely working through genes, but I just really like the dogs that were generated...

Also, you'll see that there's some slowdown now when dogs are mass generated. I've optimized a lot since that was recorded, but it's still not ideal. There's a lot of ways of dealing with this, but it's something I need to keep myself aware of.

While doing all this I noticed I had some issues with my core gene -> value conversion code and I had to spend a long time fixing that up but now it's working nicer than ever and it even let me shorten these guys's gene sequences a bunch. I also did some good pattern stress testing and I'm feeling real solid about everything that's in right now.

With that stuff taken care of, I'm ready to start adding additional pattern types, varieties, and combinations!

I leave you with one particularly nice pattern I got. This one is completely gene-based, so it's nice to see!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:57:34 PM by ActualDog » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »

Now they start to remind me of cows. Specifically, that way cows jump around in spring when they first move into the fields again:

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »

Now they start to remind me of cows. Specifically, that way cows jump around in spring when they first move into the fields again:

Cows are dogs too.

---

Tiny update before the weekend. Added a new pattern type with two varieties (so far).

Got everything spaced evenly regardless of dog body size with a lil' trick. If the patterns don't directly line up with the final edge then I add increasing pixel offsets to the earlier patterns to bring them up inconspicuously.

Looking forward to adding some more variety to this pattern structure. Very easy to support new sizes and shape sets.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »

New pattern variation for the kitschiest of dogs.

I also laid the groundwork for getting patterns to blend into each other. It works right now but it looks pretty bad so I have to think more about how to make it look nicer. It isn't a huge deal if I can't, but it'd be really cool to have and it'd add a ton more variety.

Lastly, I made some slight changes to how patterns and genes interface. Generating completely random dogs always created good patterns since the genes were so diverse, but when I evolved dogs naturally from the default dog, their patterns would always come out looking same-y and uniform like this.

While I like how that looks, it's not acceptable for that to be the default first pattern evolution 100% of the time. It also has worrying connotations for long-term breeding.

Gene values starting at neutral defaults and slowly easing into extremes works out well for body modifications since they're just that, modifications, but patterns are generated from scratch and it looks really weird to see them evolve in uniform ways like this.

My solution was to add a seed value to the beginning of each dog's gene sequence. The initial value is hardcoded but it can mutate over time the same way any other gene can mutate. Once I have this seed value I can give each dog an appropriate random number generator using that seed. Then I can use an appropriate "random" offset for certain values, like pattern placement, frequency, graphics, etc. Since it's a seeded random and the genes hold that seed, the patterns are still 100% reproducible but the patterned dog above turns into this!

The first, uniform pattern is still totally possible to generate, but it now represents a pretty extreme and guided case instead of a default one.

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »

how am i not following this incredible glorious thing already

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2016, 03:21:25 AM »

Wobblemudskipper!
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2016, 05:27:52 AM »

This is incredible. I was just thinking how the world needs more Cubivore and along wobbles Wobbledogs.

CANTATA
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »

Thank you for liking this project!

---

I've been feeling antsy about the game's graphics for a while now. I've been working on it for over 5 months but the look hasn't really evolved much and it seems worthwhile to at least start to define a real style. That's why I've been spending some time on dog body patterns recently and that's also why I've decided to spend a little time on the rest of the look.

This stuff still is definitely not final (it's just part of a day's work), but I'm liking the direction of this little overhaul so far! I've been thinking about the look for a bit and been feeling pretty inspired by bug/animal habitats. Obvious stuff like hamster cages:

But also stuff like these fake bug zones:

As a kid I would see these in catalogues and I always wanted one. I would look at the pictures and imagine having my very own bugs crawling around the plastic environments, moving from room to room. To me there's just something exciting even now about watching a critter wander around and explore, and these colorful little biomes really invite that feeling, I think. Of course, I do have to imagine that these sorts of plastic cages aren't the best places to raise real bugs, but this is a video game and I can do what I want. Anyways, given the direction this game is moving towards, those childhood feelings of vicarious bug discovery seemed really appropriate and it just feels like the right visual direction to move things towards.

Hopefully in the next few days this stuff will polish up a bit more!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic