Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:47:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWobbledogs
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: Wobbledogs  (Read 232531 times)
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: May 15, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »

Man, this game sure has come a long way since I last read through this thread (when it still had the scary dog face).

As for new ideas for gameplay, this game needs to have teaching tricks, with procedural results!  Cheesy

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: May 16, 2017, 01:38:36 AM »

I can totally imagine the 3D eyes being produced by accidentally or intentionally radiating the dogs.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:35 AM »

As for new ideas for gameplay, this game needs to have teaching tricks, with procedural results!  Cheesy
Oooh, dog training sounds pretty cool yeah!
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: May 28, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

Man, this game sure has come a long way since I last read through this thread (when it still had the scary dog face).

Oooh, dog training sounds pretty cool yeah!

I'll talk about that a little in this post!

I can totally imagine the 3D eyes being produced by accidentally or intentionally radiating the dogs.

Ah, that'd be great. I'm thinking more and more that I want the gameplay to be based around uncovering secrets and new mutations like this, tbh.

---

I was going to hold off a bit longer on unpacking my prototyping but I've stepped away from it for a bit and I think if I wait much longer things will start to slip from my mind so I'm gonna talk a little about my thoughts and experiments surrounding the game's direction.

So, I tried a few different things. I know I want to keep the pen gameplay around so everything's kinda stemmed from that. I feel super strongly about having a core, customizable, space to come back to and chill out in, but I've been frustrated that there's not much of a goal to guide your overall experience.

A while back I tried out dog racing. There was a lot of fun there but ultimately it was the sort of thing that, while interesting in the short term, did not have much scalability. Watching a group of dogs race slowly through an obstacle course is fun at first but it doesn't hold up as well as you might think. It becomes tedious after a bit, even more-so once you're rooting desperately for a specific dog to come out on top, so I decided not to revisit that.

The first new thing I came up with was to have a sort of adventure campaign. I'd build levels for you to go explore with your dogs and these levels would result in you finding new items, mutations, and lore. By mutating dogs in specific ways you'd unlock new ways of progressing through these levels, and so there'd be a little loop of adventuring to find mutation unlocks and then using those mutation unlocks to adventure deeper than before. I spent a few days setting up a movement and layout prototype with a test level but it quickly became clear that there were some issues.

This isn't the test level I built but it works well enough to illustrate my point. Watching dogs "physic" around is super fun when you're not in control of them or if you don't particularly care where they end up, but as soon as it's something you're trying to direct, things fall apart. The dogs move around well enough but they aren't the quickest. Again, this is fine when you're observing, or when you have the ability to just pick a dog up and plop it down manually, but when you're dealing with RTS-style controls it's really painful.

So I moved on.

The second thing I experimented with was procedural tricks (cheers). It's something I'd thought about back during the first few weeks of the project but never really explored so seeing your guys' posts got me thinking some more. I did some quick tests, but once again I ran into some issues.

I did some testing with mapping drawn screen-space lines to AnimationCurves that apply targeted torques to different limbs. To be honest, there were a few interesting things to come out of this but it still had some core problems. I was able to get the dogs to do a few simple tricks (rolling over, sitting, jumping, etc) but the limits of their physical setups became apparent pretty fast. The way I built them just isn't that conducive to a wide range of motions. Their bodies really just want to keep that default pose and most of their movements don't deviate too far from that. Anything they do that's more complicated is the result of conditional programming, not just raw AnimationCurve values. Procedural tricks is totally a valid system, but not for these boys I'm afraid. To really make a trick system that feels satisfying, I think I'd need to rely on hard-coded tricks mapped to learned inputs rather than anything legitimately procedural. The other issue here is that even if I got this system working perfectly, I don't think it's enough to carry the entire game experience.

And so I moved on again.

The last big thing I tried was arena battles. I actually don't have any good gifs of this because I didn't record any while I was building the feature and I recently broke it it pretty badly while working on save/load (more on that in a minute). I might go back to it at some point but for now you'll just have to make due with description!

The basic idea was that dogs would have different abilities they could learn based on genetics and you could train them over time to bring those out and improve base stats like HP and stamina and all that. Then you'd plop 'em in an arena and they'd duke things out. This came the closest out of all my prototypes (it wasn't polished but things felt like they had potential, and there was a concrete tie between the pen and arena game modes), but I decided to scrap this too for a few reasons. First of all, although it was starting to feel okay, I really think I needed another month or so of prototyping on it to know for sure that it'd work, and that's a lot of time. Second, even if I was able to make it work I wasn't in love with the idea of battling being the main gameplay. Not only is fighting something that most games already include, it also felt against the spirit of what I've been building. Violent games are great, I have no issue with playing or making them, but I don't think this is a game that needs that. That isn't to say that I was planning on making this game mode particularly brutal (I had some ideas on how to make it cute), but I just don't think it's the right fit for this project.

The two biggest things this little prototyping spree cemented for me were:
  • Watching something struggle is cute. Being in control of that struggle is not.
  • The less deterministic your simulation, the harder it is to apply traditional game mechanics to it. e.g. it's hard to build an upgrade system around increasing move speed when the best working version of your movement simulation is already fairly unpredictable and the rig setup is procedural.

Maybe somewhat obvious in retrospect, but I still kinda needed to prove these things to myself. So where does this leave me? Well I'm not 100% sure, to be honest, but I do have some thoughts.

Right now my idea is to build the game based off what already works. The game as it currently stands has no goal but is fun to look at and experiment with. I can honestly say that even now, after over a year of active development, I still find it entertaining to jump into the pen and watch the dogs go about their business for a bit. There's not a ton to actively do but it's fun to direct the simulation a bit. So rather than try and inject additional modes and control schemes into the game, I'm considering making it more about experimentation and discovery. Drip-feeding new objects, mutations, and bits of story to the player as a reward for experimentation.

First of all I'd like to give more direct control over genetics. Breeding through multiple generations is super fun so there's no reason to gate it as much as I am currently. Maybe eggs, once laid, are resources that you can hatch instantly whenever you choose, and maybe you can assign whichever parents you want and preview the results. Maybe you can modify a dog's genetics in real time with genetic injections. Maybe you unlock genetic modifiers for unlimited manual use after discovering them.

Second, I'm thinking that finding genetic modifiers could be the point of the game itself. Inbreed a dog to the point that it loses its eyes. Feed a dog a specific fruit that causes it to sprout vines. Keep a dog in the anti-grav room for long enough and its legs get super weak and spindly from lack of use. etc, etc. Maybe specific combinations could result in handmade specialty dogs like some of the wilder one-offs I've posted here before.

With a big enough variety of genetic parts, a bunch more objects and room modifiers, a bit of story, and some way of teasing the hidden unlocks and tracking progress, I think it could be a compelling experience. I'm still working things out, but we'll see. My next goal is to write out an overview of my vision for, say, the first 20 minutes of the game and then see how I can scale it from there.

Anyways, that's mostly it for now. I spent last week working on the game's save/load system (it works now and just needs UI!). I was gonna write about that too, but this post's gone on for long enough so I'll save it for next time!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2017, 12:13:47 AM »

Well, one way to think about this is: do you want this to be a game or a toy? Where "game" is defined as having a goal, usually a win-condition, and a toy is something to play with, but doesn't have either.

I think this is a great toy already, and maybe it doesn't need to be a game?
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2017, 04:14:47 AM »

I think Wobbledogs is exactly what its name suggests a game about wobbling dogs. Trying to wrap gameplay around it might lose the core of what makes it so fun for me at least which is the dogs themselves. Still a wobble dog arena sounds pretty over the top.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »

I'm less concerned with making it explicitly a "game" than I am with making sure people know how to interact with it, if that makes sense. I personally have trouble getting into things when they're overly sandbox-y or completely unguided and I don't want this to fall under that category. Even if it's loose, I want it to feel like an experience.

I feel pretty strongly about games like this giving their players permission to play with them. I sort of ran into the same thing with my last game, Animal Inspector. You had to decide whether certain animals were good or bad and I had a feature where people could write comments about the animals they were judging. That feature by itself would've been pretty uninteresting unless people got into the roleplaying mindset and approached it seriously. To encourage that, I had the game force people to write those comments and built a little system that did some basic comprehension and checks against the submitted strings to call people out on the most common types of laziness or mistakes (gibberish, misspellings, curse words, repeated comments). That minimal amount of structure was enough to get a lot of people who otherwise would've ignored the comments to start engaging with that system, and most responses to it I saw after release involved people assuming it was way more complex than it actually was and making up their own rules for the system.

So those are the types of things I think about when looking at this project too. I think just presenting a completely open system is a huge missed opportunity. There's a gigantic player base that has the potential to have fun with stuff like that but needs some amount of structure and context, at least in the beginning, and I think it's important to provide that. People are already concerned with games wasting their time so if they feel like the game doesn't even have an internal point, it's super easy to just write it off. A new player has no way of knowing for sure that there's anything interesting about this project, so why should they have to take my word for it and then spend their own time figuring that out when I could actually just show them! Ultimately that was the point of all my prototyping. Exploration, racing, and fighting were just attempts at providing context and direction for the systems I already have. They were ways of allowing me to drip-feed unlocks, tease new content (dog mutations you didn't know about yet, new abilities, etc), and give you a goal to work towards if you need it.

Anyways, kind of a longer post than I expected so to sum it up in one sentence, I just want to provide enough structure that you always have SOMETHING to fall back on if you're not really in the mood to make your own fun. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »

I think that makes a lot of sense, and I think you are approaching it the right way. You can always have a "free play" mode, or whatever, but I know I'd appreciate the other little modes, mini-games - however you decide to package and present them.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Goddamit, how did i miss these wonderful doggos, i have to read all 25 pages of devlog, i'm intrigued!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

So basically, you don't want the game to be like Goat Simulator: "the player controls a goat aimed at doing as much damage as possible around an open world map, without any other larger goals."

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: June 01, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »

Maybe this can just be a breeder simulation where the goal is to win at Breeder Cups. For this you will need to no only breed a species, but also to train it and love it until it can perform at its top level. The game can have several cups to win, with different minigames.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:14 AM »

The game can have several cups to win, with different minigames.

I think a talent show format could work, but the actual competitions need to be random and dysfunctional, i.e. it can't be straightforward races or rhythm-game style button mashing. And it can't have real winners. Instead, you get strange and random awards for seemingly nonsensical categories. It would still be an achievement-hunting style of game, but there aren't clear goals and there's no pressure to grow/train your doggo in some "optimized" way.

E.g. A "Fruity Loops" competition where there's a big hamster-wheel with a few fruits on it. You give your doggo a few commands or drag a few things here and there. After say 15 seconds your turn is ended. Out of the three competitor doggos, there would be awards for "Touched bananas more times than any other fruits. Healthy!" "Most rolls on the wheel. Agile!" "Slowest to react to commands. Proudy!" "Shiniest skin among the dogs. Shows your owner cares!" "Purple. My mother always love purple. 10 points from me."

Might not be what you look for. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Also: Games like Poly Bridge has a video/gif sharing function that seems pretty in line with the game's goofiness. I think many people will just be glad to have a pet simulator game and chill with their doggos with shenanigans and share some weird pictures or videos online.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 01, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/xAmco9g.gif&v=mkBS4zUjJZo&s=91

(click show video)

Did you do this on purpose?
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »

Goddamit, how did i miss these wonderful doggos, i have to read all 25 pages of devlog, i'm intrigued!

I'm glad you like my dogs!

So basically, you don't want the game to be like Goat Simulator: "the player controls a goat aimed at doing as much damage as possible around an open world map, without any other larger goals."

I've never actually played Goat Sim, but yeah, I wanna make sure this has some overarching goals to it.

Maybe this can just be a breeder simulation where the goal is to win at Breeder Cups. For this you will need to no only breed a species, but also to train it and love it until it can perform at its top level. The game can have several cups to win, with different minigames.

The game can have several cups to win, with different minigames.

I think a talent show format could work, but the actual competitions need to be random and dysfunctional, i.e. it can't be straightforward races or rhythm-game style button mashing. And it can't have real winners. Instead, you get strange and random awards for seemingly nonsensical categories. It would still be an achievement-hunting style of game, but there aren't clear goals and there's no pressure to grow/train your doggo in some "optimized" way.

E.g. A "Fruity Loops" competition where there's a big hamster-wheel with a few fruits on it. You give your doggo a few commands or drag a few things here and there. After say 15 seconds your turn is ended. Out of the three competitor doggos, there would be awards for "Touched bananas more times than any other fruits. Healthy!" "Most rolls on the wheel. Agile!" "Slowest to react to commands. Proudy!" "Shiniest skin among the dogs. Shows your owner cares!" "Purple. My mother always love purple. 10 points from me."

Might not be what you look for. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Also: Games like Poly Bridge has a video/gif sharing function that seems pretty in line with the game's goofiness. I think many people will just be glad to have a pet simulator game and chill with their doggos with shenanigans and share some weird pictures or videos online.

Yeah, these are fun ideas!

Also, an internal gif sharing function is something I've thought about before and I really like the idea of having that but gif compression and capture isn't something I know a lot about so no promises. I have an internal gif recorder I'm using in case something cool happens when I'm not recording, but it's extremely slow to save out so it wouldn't be usable in the shipping game. Might look into it more further on down the line! There are a few other issues I'd have to solve too though. For Poly Bridge I'm assuming there isn't really any "editing" they need to support since you're saving gifs of your solution. For a general purpose embedded capture here I'd probably have to support some sort of internal gif editing, or at least come up with a good design to bypass that, and that's not super straightforward either I imagine.

Did you do this on purpose?

EVERYTHING I do is on purpose.

---

Ok, so, I finally have save/load working with a full UI flow surrounding the file select screen. Phew. Way more work than I expected (as always). Still a few more things it needs (for example, files should probably sort by last played date), and there are some design aspects I want to revisit or improve at some point, but I'm super happy to have this in.

Before even starting in on the UI I went through and actually implemented the guts of the save system. This by itself took about a week and I'm very happy I did it now instead of waiting too much longer because I had to refactor a huge amount of the game to make things work. The main issues I ran into were with objects, parts, and other misc things not being uniquely identifiable. As a first pass most of my references to things were stored as full GameObjects so I had to convert things to ID refs in a ton of different systems. Some obvious places like objects, but also stuff like dog pathfinding and association nodes.

Save/load also forced me to shore up my flows for dog creation and game initialization, which I really appreciate, and I had to come up with some way of save/loading physics objects. For dogs themselves I'm just storing the room they were inside of and respawning them in the middle of it on load, because they're way too complicated for it to be reasonable to try and preserve their specific behaviors and positions, but for physics objects like food it would be super irritating to spend time putting them in specific locations and stacks only to have them reset the next time you tried to load into the game.

The main issue with saving those physics objects is that I don't want them to have any physics freakouts on load, which is unsurprisingly a very easy situation to set up for yourself. I created a serializable class structure for these guys that automatically trolls through their hierarchy and saves off all relevant physics/transform/gameobject data, but the real final piece of the puzzle involves me setting them to be kinematic for a single frame before restoring their rigidbody info. I don't know exactly why it's necessary but I suspect there's something internal that checks a few things on instantiation. In any case, I actually have safe and clean loading for all my physics objects, regardless of placement, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to do.

After the core system worked I wanted to actually put in some UI for it. It'll be helpful for testing to have multiple files I can pick from, and I also really wanted to get this in so the game felt a little more "real", if that makes sense.

My initial concept for the screen was a take on those gradeschool activity pin boards where everyone writes their name on a construction paper cutout of a shape.

The texturing is obviously very different than what I do anywhere else, but I wanted to get a mood across for the concept. Things simplified a LOT as I worked on this and I ended up removing most elements but I'm very happy with where it's at now.

Every aspect of this flow is functional, and I've added a few new ease types to my repertoire. Probably the biggest thing I want to change (not now, just at some point down the line) is the scrolling bg. Scrolling bg squares are pretty common so I'd like to either change them to be something more thematic, or come up with some other effect.

I did some shader experimentation for a bit today but mostly I just ended up making myself a little sick. There's a much nicer version of this with very subtle pulsing but I was finding that any visible amount of this was enough to disorient me.

ANYWAYS... like I said, I'm happy with things for now.

As usual, I'll leave you with a classic dog gif. I left the game running for a bit and when I came back to it, two dogs had explored their pen and found the food I put out for them and the third dog had decided to go throw a temper tantrum in the corner.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:51:01 AM by ActualDog » Logged

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: June 06, 2017, 01:16:34 AM »

I read the whole log, i must say i'm amazed, you put a lot of work in this. Genetics and breeding stuff is great.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: June 08, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »

I read the whole log, i must say i'm amazed, you put a lot of work in this. Genetics and breeding stuff is great.

Ah, thanks! Here's hoping the next 25 pages are just as interesting.

---

Not-too-substantial update today but I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow and wanted to get some stuff written before the end of the week.

Now that the file system is in place and accessible I'm moving back towards mechanics and gameplay prototyping. The idea right now is to try and get in a few things that really encourage you to micromanage the dogs and do things moment to moment. I have a bunch of ideas of things that I want to try out, but the first thing I'm throwing in is trees. The rough idea is that they'll grow over time and maybe like, do tree stuff like drop fruit. The catch is that if dogs hassle them too much they'll die, especially when they're smaller, so you'll probably wanna keep an eye on them. This might also be a good lead up feature for a real implementation of dog scolding and dog praising since the connection there should be pretty obvious.

This is just a super rough pass at them for now. Just some prefab art and they don't have all the functionality I mentioned above yet. For now they just snap to the pen wherever the trunk first touches.

And of course I added some basic physics and let the dogs go to town. Some like the trees better than others.

I have them breaking apart if bitten too much but there are some other issues I want to solve before showing that off. That said, even in this basic form I'm kinda already into the trees. They don't do much right now but just plopping a few down really helps the pen feel fuller and I'm already pretty much sold on having a variety of stuff like this to personalize your space with, even if it doesn't all do too much (though obviously I prefer that everything has SOME purpose).

In other news, I also discovered by way of Many Eggs that my debug visualization for dog brains is super not adequate SO I'll probably be improving that sometime in the near future.

The system itself works fine with this number of objects, it's just that my debug view of it is unusable.

And one final gif of a pair I liked.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: June 14, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »

Not where I wanna be with plants yet but it's getting kinda big so I'm gonna post what I have so far to split things up a bit.

Anyways, I'm working on the full life-cycle for trees and I'm making it as generalized as possible so it's easy to add more plants in the future. They start as seeds that take root as soon as they hit the ground. At the moment they can grow on any surface tagged as the stage, so that includes walls and stuff, but in the future it'll probably be floor only.

Then, they slowly sprout upwards over time.

As they get closer to the height of their final form, they also evenly transition through different phase models I throw into a list, which you'll see in some of the gifs below.

At this point the biggest problem I was running into was space. With no spacial awareness and no rigid tile-based placement system, plants were getting a little overcrowded and flipping out a tiny bit.

To fix this for the time being I'm doing bounding box checks at each growth update and only allowing things to proceed if the plant has space. This works pretty well for now but I'm probably going to tie this into either eventual plant death from overcrowding or some sort of dwarf plant model hierarchy for plants that have less room.

Plants have also pushed the limits of my pathfinding system a bit. Right now dogs have no concept of the size of their bodies. If they can see something they assume they can get to it. This is easy enough to fix I think (I can probably just use body-size boxcasts instead of linecasts for this stuff), but it's pretty funny and kinda dog-like so I'm considering leaving this in for dogs with lower smarts (once I get around to implementing that concept).

Anyways, that's about where I am for now. I still need to let dogs bite and kill growing plants and I'd like to also try out fruit growth on the trees for a sort of self sustaining life-cycle (and potential way to make cash), but I'm enjoying the way things are coming along and can see a lot of potential for more types of plants in the future.

For the time being, I'm just happy that a little tree grove makes sleeping dogs even cuter than they were previously.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:18:58 PM by ActualDog » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #497 on: June 14, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

Great work as always.

I really want there to be dogs that have less smarts, it would remind me of my own dog  Cheesy
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »

It'd be interesting if they could squeeze a little, changing their scale a bit, to try to pass through places smaller than their bodies! I think it would add to the cartooness of it and is also something that sort of actually happens considering fur and soft tissue and all.

Anyway, looking good!

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 15, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »

I mean dogs can do that right.

I'd actually prefer to see the bamboos/trees to bend instead, but simply making the dogs get frustrated and give up is fine too.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic