Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:11:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWobbledogs
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: Wobbledogs  (Read 232012 times)
newbeings
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »

So cool!

Aceba1
TIGBaby

Maker of random stuffs'

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »

Remember the Voxel doggo?

Also, here's a more AI focused question:
    If doggo gets dropped out on elevated ground, let's say, on top of a horizontal pipe, will doggo make proper memory of it?
    If the doggo falls off, will doggo know how get back on top?
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: September 07, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »

Looks like you got some great feedback!

Yeah it was really useful! I think it'll be a bit before I'm ready to show publicly again but it was a good experience.

I really dig how the eyes of the dogs let you understand their feelings. That makes it super nice when you take a screenshot of a bunch of them. You should definitely make sure that the hilarious part of the game doesn't get lost while you work on it Wink

Thanks, I'm happy with them too! Making sure the game stays goofy is one of my highest priorities, so definitely don't worry about those aspects getting lost.

wait waitwait are you gonna make the dogs actually fuck
that would be an important addition

lol, well not like, super explicitly or anything but it'd be pretty funny to work the physics into their reproduction ritual somehow. I have a few ideas for how to get it to work but we'll see.

So cool!

Thank you!

Remember the Voxel doggo?

Also, here's a more AI focused question:
    If doggo gets dropped out on elevated ground, let's say, on top of a horizontal pipe, will doggo make proper memory of it?
    If the doggo falls off, will doggo know how get back on top?

Yeah, I doubt voxel boy's coming back at this point but it was fun to try out. As far as AI goes, dogs remember their paths through the world and the places they've been but at the moment they can only really remember how to get to connected areas that they can traverse on their own. If you physically drop them places they couldn't walk to then they wouldn't know how to get back, but they would still remember being there.

--

Phew ok I've been kinda all over the place since last update. I've been working on lots of different things because testing out ways of giving players unlocks is useless if there's no variety in what I can give them. So, bigger things I've been working on:

Started working on genetic pills that'll mutate the dog who munches them in whatever way I set up. I made a cheat command to spawn items by name so that testing this was easier, and then because of all the Dog Builder work I did for the recent demo, I already had a lot of code in place to modify specific sections of a dog's genetics! Getting these working wasn't too bad though it'll take some more work to make them easy to set up on my end for more complicated mutations, and as usual there were still a few issues to solve along the way.

I decided on pills rather than something like injections or special machines or whatever else because I like the slight unpredictability that pills give me. With a pill you have to actually wait for the dog in question to eat it, you can't really just force it on them. Plus, if you're not careful, another dog could end up stealing it away from you.

I also spent some time experimenting with an accessories system.

The hat can fall off if there's enough force, which seems important, and putting this in gave me a good idea of what work's required for a full-featured version to exist. The answer is "a lot", by the way. Besides just general implementation and system requirements, dynamic head and snout setups make it hard to guarantee that any hat can fit any dog. There's probably no way I'm going to be able to reasonably avoid clipping and wonkiness for a feature like this. If I end up going full steam ahead with accessories, which I'd kinda like to at some point, I think I'll just have to deal with the fact that certain dogs just won't look that great with many of them. To an extent I think that's ok because of this game's tone, but I'd still like to minimize that stuff if possible so I'll probably be thinking about it some more.

Then I started working on some new GUI stuff. The original inventory screen I made was nice but super disruptive. The more items I've added, the more it's been an irritation to have to travel to an entirely new screen to switch between them and so I've wanted to add something like this for a while.

Still very WIP obviously but you get the idea. Right now I'm imagining this'll completely replace the previous inventory screen, though there are a few other things I'll have to add to it before that can be the case.

And finally, I took a break from the above GUI work to throw together some dog barfing.

Still lots to polish here but the very base is in. If dogs eat too much they'll barf. Barf is a liquid just like anything else so it spreads and mixes just like anything else. Barfing makes them hungry again and gives them some anxiety. Eventually it seems like it'd probably make sense for dogs to be able to eat their own puke, because dogs are gross and that's something they do, but getting dogs to interact with liquid puddles is a bigger piece of system work so I'll leave that alone for now. I'd also eventually like barfing to give a negative association with the food they'd just been eating.

That's it for now! This has been a pretty gif-heavy post so I won't drop any random ones at the end this time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:31:50 PM by ActualDog » Logged

0koko0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:10 AM »

the pills are a nice idea. and they made me think about that i don't know whether i want to take care of the dogs as pets or experiment on them. that could be a gameplay thing, like getting rewards for doing tests and dog experiments, but the rewards shouldn't be big important things so you can play without having to do all that if you don't want to. and breeding specific kinds of dogs could be an optional goal too.
also, i like how the hat just says DOG on it.
Notafox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 11, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »

I made an account just to comment here... I've been following this thread FOREVER and I absolutely love your doggos!! Every minute this game gets closer to being a game I can play at home the more excited I get : D

Your more recent update has me a bit worried though, I've always been really excited to share this game with friends of mine who aren't into shooters/beat em ups etc, but the addition of dog vomit has me concerned.. I am the sort of person who has a like, reaction to hearing/seeing vomit that also makes me SUPER sick, and I know a bunch of other people have had the same problem with Rick & Morty (Which is why they've toned it down)... so I worry dogs puking will make me unable to enjoy the game as much : ( 

Just food for thought, as its something you may not have considered! (Not here to tell you what to do/not to do, just in case you hadn't considered this viewpoint/that this is something some people have)

SO HYPED FOR PETTABLE DOGS!! GONNA PET EM!
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »

the pills are a nice idea. and they made me think about that i don't know whether i want to take care of the dogs as pets or experiment on them. that could be a gameplay thing, like getting rewards for doing tests and dog experiments, but the rewards shouldn't be big important things so you can play without having to do all that if you don't want to. and breeding specific kinds of dogs could be an optional goal too.
also, i like how the hat just says DOG on it.

haha, thanks. I've actually got some stuff cooking that might hit some of those points you brought up. We'll see how it shakes out in the next week or two!

I made an account just to comment here... I've been following this thread FOREVER and I absolutely love your doggos!! Every minute this game gets closer to being a game I can play at home the more excited I get : D

Your more recent update has me a bit worried though, I've always been really excited to share this game with friends of mine who aren't into shooters/beat em ups etc, but the addition of dog vomit has me concerned.. I am the sort of person who has a like, reaction to hearing/seeing vomit that also makes me SUPER sick, and I know a bunch of other people have had the same problem with Rick & Morty (Which is why they've toned it down)... so I worry dogs puking will make me unable to enjoy the game as much : ( 

Just food for thought, as its something you may not have considered! (Not here to tell you what to do/not to do, just in case you hadn't considered this viewpoint/that this is something some people have)

Glad you like the dogs so much! You bring up some good points re: dog vomit. Although real life dogs are gross (they're great but they barf on your carpets and eat poop etc etc) and I want to capture some of that, my intention is DEFINITELY not to make people sick and what I'll say baseline is that I really don't expect dogs to be barfing all over the place. The idea behind the feature is that it provides a bit of pushback towards dogs overeating. One more thing to keep an eye on with some real systemic feedback if you don't notice. THOUGH I do also want dog sickness at some point so it could make an appearance there as well, I'm not sure.

I want it to be a little bit gross, but I also don't want it to ever be a reason for someone to not play. One thing I'd been thinking about is making the barf the color of whatever the dog had just been eating. That might help lessen the gross out factor a bit, especially if I mixed that with some sparkle particles or something. Also, I'm sure the eventual sound design will have a big impact on how things come off so I'll be sure to be wary of that when the time comes!

Amora
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:09 AM »

Hi, I'm in the same boat re: making an account just to comment here. I've been following Wobbledogs for a long time and love all of what's going on!

I was curious how in-depth (if at all) any genealogy might be? Some way to keep track of all of a dog's ancestors on a family tree or something? Or a way to commemorate them (pictures or something) without having to make your own family tree in a separate program? I have no idea how hard that'd be to code, and would definitely understand if that's not a possibility. Tracking family trees was just always one of my favorite features in the Sims and I was curious if it'd show up here, too!

By extension, will related dogs able to breed? Will there any penalty for this? Or will I just have to keep super close watch on my dogs if I don't want that happening?

Thanks a bunch for all the work you've done so far, I love every one of these goofy dogs I see!
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2017, 04:44:09 AM »

dynamic head and snout setups make it hard to guarantee that any hat can fit any dog. There's probably no way I'm going to be able to reasonably avoid clipping and wonkiness for a feature like this. If I end up going full steam ahead with accessories, which I'd kinda like to at some point, I think I'll just have to deal with the fact that certain dogs just won't look that great with many of them.
What about giving accessories different sizes, so a dog wouldn't be able to equip them if, say, their head is bigger than a certain number?

Although real life dogs are gross (they're great but they barf on your carpets and eat poop etc etc) and I want to capture some of that, my intention is DEFINITELY not to make people sick and what I'll say baseline is that I really don't expect dogs to be barfing all over the place.
I remember old FPSs sometimes had alternate graphical options for blood, like "green blood" or "blood made of smiley faces". I think something similar would be effective - vomit made of sparkles and candies and unicorns or something.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Notafox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 13, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »

Glad you like the dogs so much! You bring up some good points re: dog vomit. Although real life dogs are gross (they're great but they barf on your carpets and eat poop etc etc) and I want to capture some of that, my intention is DEFINITELY not to make people sick and what I'll say baseline is that I really don't expect dogs to be barfing all over the place. The idea behind the feature is that it provides a bit of pushback towards dogs overeating. One more thing to keep an eye on with some real systemic feedback if you don't notice. THOUGH I do also want dog sickness at some point so it could make an appearance there as well, I'm not sure.

I want it to be a little bit gross, but I also don't want it to ever be a reason for someone to not play. One thing I'd been thinking about is making the barf the color of whatever the dog had just been eating. That might help lessen the gross out factor a bit, especially if I mixed that with some sparkle particles or something. Also, I'm sure the eventual sound design will have a big impact on how things come off so I'll be sure to be wary of that when the time comes!

Yaaay! Thats a relief : D Glad you're keeping it in mind!! I'd suggest something like just having them getting bloated and flopping over but then you can't have dog vomit-eating-mechanic I suppose. Good point with the sound too, the sound is usually what triggers the WORST bit of empathetic-nausea, the like, gushing glorby liquid is also really bleghblegh, could do Cotton-Candy-Fluffy-Puke-Mode :D

SO EXCITED to show this game to my friends who dont normally play games!! I know theyre gonna be hyped to take care of weird-puppers : >
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2017, 05:10:24 AM »

The current UI, including the font, is such a throwback to the original Sims game—which is fitting, since IIRC you said you've worked on one of those? Tongue

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »

You're mad dog. Keep this project going!

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

The current UI, including the font, is such a throwback to the original Sims game—which is fitting, since IIRC you said you've worked on one of those? Tongue

Oh interesting, I hadn't realized that until now but you're totally right

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 15, 2017, 02:53:46 AM »

@Prinsessa: I noticed the same thing a few pages back. That means there's two fans of the style by now ActualDog, you can't go back Tongue
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »

Hi, I'm in the same boat re: making an account just to comment here. I've been following Wobbledogs for a long time and love all of what's going on!

I was curious how in-depth (if at all) any genealogy might be? Some way to keep track of all of a dog's ancestors on a family tree or something? Or a way to commemorate them (pictures or something) without having to make your own family tree in a separate program? I have no idea how hard that'd be to code, and would definitely understand if that's not a possibility. Tracking family trees was just always one of my favorite features in the Sims and I was curious if it'd show up here, too!

By extension, will related dogs able to breed? Will there any penalty for this? Or will I just have to keep super close watch on my dogs if I don't want that happening?

Thanks a bunch for all the work you've done so far, I love every one of these goofy dogs I see!

Glad you like them!

I haven't given a ton of thought to the nuances of genealogy yet but some sort of family tree could be pretty cool. I don't want to promise any features at this point but I'll definitely keep that in mind cuz I can totally see why people might want something like that.

As far as breeding goes, I probably won't stop related dogs from being able to breed but I dunno yet if there'll be specific inbreeding penalties.

The specifics behind breeding and genealogy in this game will need a very in-depth pass at some point later. The systems are baseline functional at the moment but they're not very well integrated into the full experience. All these points are great things for me to keep in mind when I get deeper into this stuff though!

What about giving accessories different sizes, so a dog wouldn't be able to equip them if, say, their head is bigger than a certain number?

Maybe, but it's not quite that simple. Head size isn't actually too big of an issue; the bigger deal is snout size/rotation plus the fact that I plan to eventually have multiple head types. It's just hard to define in-code what will and won't clip with all these variables. I have a few ideas but ultimately it might just be easier to live with some clipping and let the players decide if they want their dog to have a wonky hat or not.

Yaaay! Thats a relief : D Glad you're keeping it in mind!! I'd suggest something like just having them getting bloated and flopping over but then you can't have dog vomit-eating-mechanic I suppose. Good point with the sound too, the sound is usually what triggers the WORST bit of empathetic-nausea, the like, gushing glorby liquid is also really bleghblegh, could do Cotton-Candy-Fluffy-Puke-Mode :D

SO EXCITED to show this game to my friends who dont normally play games!! I know theyre gonna be hyped to take care of weird-puppers : >

Glad to hear it!

Oh interesting, I hadn't realized that until now but you're totally right
@Prinsessa: I noticed the same thing a few pages back. That means there's two fans of the style by now ActualDog, you can't go back Tongue

lol, well I'm TRYING not to make it too similar but yeah, there's definitely some inspiration. To some extent I think the similarity is kind of a good thing because it gives people a specific initial impression of how things function but to that end I also think things will start to drift a bit more as time goes on and I'll end up adapting the UI to be better suited towards this game's specifics. Part of the similarities come from the fact that the game doesn't have a super defined loop right now to inform the functionality.

You're mad dog. Keep this project going!

It's going! It's tough to work on sometimes but it'd be even tougher to shelve. Gotta finish this thing...

--

No huge update today but I have been working on some new stuff. I know I JUST said that I was gonna double down on the sandbox elements of the game going forward but I had an idea literally pop into my head out of nowhere late one night last week and I've been working on defining and prototyping it since. It's, unfortunately, a lot of UI work (like everything I try to do in this game) so it's not too exciting yet but we'll see where it ends up. At the very least it's absolutely the closest I've gotten so far to something legit and it checks off all the boxes I've been trying to hit with the gameplay loop. I know I'm being cryptic but hopefully I'll have more to show soon.

In the mean time, a collection of loose-leaf gifs I hadn't previously posted here.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

I plan to eventually have multiple head types.
I misread this and pictured dogs with multiple heads for a moment. It was glorious.
(Also, please bring the original head back as a secret/rare head or something. Please.)

lol, well I'm TRYING not to make it too similar but yeah, there's definitely some inspiration. To some extent I think the similarity is kind of a good thing because it gives people a specific initial impression of how things function but to that end I also think things will start to drift a bit more as time goes on and I'll end up adapting the UI to be better suited towards this game's specifics.
I think the similarities with The Sims' UI could actually play in your favour, because Wobbledogs looks like the kind of game that can also appeal non-gamers. And The Sims is, by definition, the game even my mother tried to play once. So by looking similar it could actually feel less "menacing" and complicated, and help you reach a bigger audience  Gentleman

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »

I misread this and pictured dogs with multiple heads for a moment. It was glorious.

We need Cerberus the Wobbledog!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2017, 04:15:45 AM »

this game looks good

alek214
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »

a system where identical twins could be born out of one egg and in rarer cases conjoint twins would be really interesting
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »

I think the similarities with The Sims' UI could actually play in your favour, because Wobbledogs looks like the kind of game that can also appeal non-gamers. And The Sims is, by definition, the game even my mother tried to play once. So by looking similar it could actually feel less "menacing" and complicated, and help you reach a bigger audience  Gentleman

Yeah agreed, it's something that's worth leaning into to a certain extent.

this game looks good

Thanks!

a system where identical twins could be born out of one egg and in rarer cases conjoint twins would be really interesting

lol you guys are figuring out all my secrets... I've had this on my project tracker for a while now to try out at some point (we'll see what I can make work). If I do end up putting it in I probably won't show it off before release though. Gotta keep some mystery going.

---

Ok, I think it's time to unpack some stuff. Anyone who's kept up with this thread is probably at least somewhat aware of how much of a tough time I've had trying to figure out what specifically you do in this game. I've tried a bunch of stuff, none of which has really stuck, and at more than one point I even said I was just gonna ignore gameplay all together in favor of a sandbox-first approach. I think I've finally found an approach that works so I wanna go over everything I've tried before, explain why I gave up on those ideas, and then go over what I'm gonna try to do instead.

So first of all, the failed prototypes.

Failed Prototype #1 - Dog Racing

Concept: Breed and train dogs for their racing prowess and watch them compete.

Positives:
  • Fun to watch
  • Takes advantage of physics
  • Once the systems are in place, courses should be quick to make
  • Could add a track editor for user-generated content
  • Casual gameplay

Negatives:
  • Only fun to watch the first few times or in short bursts. If your goal is to win rather than just observe it becomes even more tedious
  • Very hard to tie the pen gameplay together with the race gameplay. How do you meaningfully raise a dog to do better at certain courses when their performance comes down to their base physics?
  • My physical movement makes for very random outcomes even for more optimized dogs

Let me just start by saying that this prototype is still the closest to my heart. I honestly loved watching the dog races. The main problem, however, was still that the moment you needed a specific dog to win things stopped being entertaining. Races could take a while and retrying them was annoying. They were only really fun to watch if you didn't have much of a stake in who won. With my inconsistent movement physics I just don't believe I could've made this mode stay interesting for a whole game.

Failed Prototype #2 - Economy

Concept: Build and optimize a self-sustaining economy around your hive of dogs and their unique assets.

Positives:
  • Complex automation gameplay
  • No additional game modes needed
  • Near infinite gameplay

Negatives:
  • No moment-to-moment goals
  • Potentially conflicting audiences
  • Moves focus away from the dogs and their personalities

The idea here was to use the dogs to build a little self-sustaining economical system. Stuff like having the dogs lay eggs which auto-collection pipes would suck up and move to incubation chambers which you could then hatch or sell immediately. The main issue was that it took the focus away from the individual dogs and turned it to a larger overarching system. I also never came up with great ideas for more interlocking systems beyond the eggs. There was some stuff I floated around like the idea of breeding dogs for extra legs or fur, etc, but nothing ever really clicked. I think ultimately there's a disconnect between how long it takes the dogs to do things (because of their physical movement) and the efficiency you actually want for stuff like this to feel right (sort of a recurring theme with my prototypes). Anyways, I scrapped this as a core gameplay concept but there are elements I might still re-use, like the eggs themselves.

Failed Prototype #3 - Wilderness

Concept: Explore hand-crafted puzzle environments with your dogs.

Positives:
  • Puzzles and exploration
  • Opportunities for deep discovery and lore

Negatives:
  • Very time consuming to set up levels
  • Trying to directly control or issue commands to these dogs is aggressively not fun

The last point says it all, I think. Watching a physics dog try to do something on its own is entertaining even if (or especially if) they have a tough time doing it. Trying to get a physics dog to do a particular thing is extremely not entertaining if they have even the slightest bit of trouble.

Failed Prototype #4 - Arena

Concept: Dogs gain abilities based on their genes and then you send them to an arena to duke it out with other dogs.

Positives:
  • Character and story opportunities
  • Wonky physics aren't a huge issue because abilities can be hand-crafted and magical and separate from the dogs' movements.
  • Fun opportunities to import and battle against other people's dogs.

Negatives:
  • Violence, even if cartoony, felt a little at odds with the rest of this game's mood
  • Prototyping was extremely time-consuming and slow. I didn't believe I'd have a good idea of whether or not this concept would work without at least a month of dedicated time.

This just didn't feel right. I couldn't get over the fact that forcing you to fight your dogs felt wrong for this project and I didn't want to spend an extended period of time on a prototype that might not even pan out.

Failed Prototype #5 - Tricks

Concept: Teach your dogs tricks.

Positives:
  • Fun moment to moment possibilities
  • Player-Dog bonding

Negatives:
  • Couldn't come up with a meaningful way to implement this system
  • Even if implemented perfectly it wouldn't be enough to drive an entire game

Thinking simultaneously too large and too small. Procedural physics-based tricks would be a huge huge complex system but even if I made it work it probably wouldn't be enough to drive the entire game.

Failed Prototype #6 - Dog Streaming

Concept: Each dog's life is being livestreamed to an in-fiction twitch platform. Gameplay revolves around keeping your viewers happy and collecting donations.

Positives:
  • Funny concept
  • Potential for funny choices. (Your viewers love it when you put squeaky shoes on your dog but it drives you crazy. Your viewers love a super fat dog but it's too fat to move so you have to painstakingly take care of it. etc.)
  • Good high level goals

Negatives:
  • Hard to define the system feedback loop
  • Moment to moment gameplay still lacking
  • Wasn't super excited about building it

Getting closer to something, but this didn't quite pan out. Ultimately I couldn't reconcile the actual goals with the player's desire. If the stream was always running you felt no pressure to do specific things. You just let the dogs do what you'd always let them do only now you don't even get to try specific things you might want to because you're beholden to "the viewers". If the stream only goes live at certain intervals then those specific moments would require boring setup from you (make sure the dogs aren't sleepy, put them in the right clothes, change your pen's wallpaper, etc) and you'd probably just end up dreading it.

Failed Prototype #7 - Capsule Laying

Concept: Dogs lay capsules periodically. Depending on a dog's genetic makeup a capsule will have a different pool of items it could potentially contain with corresponding rarities.

Positives:
  • Simple
  • Slot machine feedback loop
  • Good high level goals (breed certain dogs to get certain items)

Negatives:
  • Zero moment to moment engagement
  • Hard to define which genes should map to which items/rarities

Not much to say about this one. It just ultimately wasn't super interesting. Good UI could've helped that a bit but it would've only wallpapered over the boring interior.

Failed Prototype #8 - Custom Scenarios

Concept: Click through a list of hand-crafted scenarios and poke around with them as much as you'd like before moving on. After viewing a scenario you unlock all the items used within it.

Positives:
  • This is what I do anyways for setting up a lot of my gifs
  • Can show the player the limits of all my systems

Negatives:
  • How do you know how long to engage with something before moving on?
  • What's the incentive to actually engaging with anything?

So close, but not quite. I had a bit of an epiphany at one point and thought to myself why not try to merge the game and the gifs I've already been making? Why not just set up a bunch of scenes that are literally just the scenarios I already create (sometimes on purpose and sometimes on accident) and share with everyone? Ultimately, it's still a little aimless and not quite worth going forward with, but this'll lead me to where I am now.

Current Concept - Commercials

(FYI: the graphics for the systems in this vid are almost entirely placeholder)

Concept: Raise your dogs and periodically employ them as actors in various commercials.

Positives:
  • Funny concept
  • Potential for a cast of characters and an actual story
  • Show the player the limits of all my systems
  • Drip-feed new items and unlocks as payment for commercial participation
  • Casual, scaleable, and played out in very short bursts
  • Gives breeding a point (certain commercials could have requirements)
  • Space for fun and meaningful choices (e.g. we want your dog for this commercial but have to dye its fur first)

Negatives:
  • Lots of work!

This is where I am now. You can probably see that this concept borrows a bunch of things from previous concepts I've explored, though it took me a while to get here specifically. After a few weeks of thought and prototyping I'm still feeling good about it too. It hits all of the major points I wanted my gameplay to hit and it just feels like the right direction to take things. The idea popped into my head late one night a few weeks ago and it immediately felt right to me. With this structure you'll always know your next goal, it'll slowly give you new objects over time, and you'll get a steady stream of funny scenarios that your dogs can literally star in.

Like, really, these types of things should just be in the actual game IMO, and with this structure they can be.

There's more I can talk about in terms of specifics but I think this post has gone on long enough. Basically, this feels like a game I know how to structure and make. It's gonna need a lot of work but there are some ways I can make things easier on myself, so I'm not overly terrified. I'm sure this concept will warp a bit over time, and it's possible I'll throw it out entirely, but it's absolutely the closest I've come to something legit so far and for now I'm gonna forge on ahead and see where things end up!

0koko0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 26, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »

i love the idea of dog commercials, i haven't seen anything like it before!
if you add a sandbox mode i hope we can make our own custom commercials
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic