Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:08:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSon of a Witch: An Action Roguelike
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Son of a Witch: An Action Roguelike  (Read 19026 times)
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:23 AM »

I made a new trailer:

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »

I think your trailer is too long. And unless your game is meant for like... babies... the delay between the orc boss holding up her club and actually attacking is far too long.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »

the delay between the orc boss holding up her club and actually attacking is far too long.

Did you miss the fact that she was frozen by the ice weapon? That was the whole point.

I guess I need to pop up some big text that says "FROZEN" so people don't miss it?
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »

Did you miss the fact that she was frozen by the ice weapon? That was the whole point.

I guess I need to pop up some big text that says "FROZEN" so people don't miss it?

Oh wow haha, I did completely miss that somehow! No need to be super passive-aggressive about it, xP

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:15 AM »

Oh wow haha, I did completely miss that somehow! No need to be super passive-aggressive about it, xP

Actually maybe it would be a good idea. I have seen some other games add text as well. It seemed dumb to me at the time (while playing), but if you missed it, so will some other players. Or maybe a frost icon instead of text. Thanks.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »

I like the visual style. Smiley

I agree that changing the orc boss' color to blue doesn't give the "full" feedback that she is frozen.  At first I thought it may be a glitch.  In other games, in some form ice is drawn over frozen characters.  Maybe placed in a block of ice or color change + icicles.  Or as mentioned, having an icon or other indicator show up.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »

Here's the updated trailer:

I replaced some of the scenes with better ones where it's more clear what is happening and added some text captions so the viewers know what's the focus of the scene.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »

The 4th level is ready. You descend into the dungeon where all the prisoners have been set free from their cells. Three new enemy types await you: a thief, a bandit and an assassin.

The thief tries to jump on your back. If he succeeds, he starts stealing away all the items from your inventory. If he finds a bomb, he will immediately use it. You can knock him off if you use a rage attack, or find some way to hit him - including meteors, bouncing orbs or via a voodoo doll. Also, if anything knocks you down, he will fall off as well. The thieves use a curved dagger, which is a new weapon with a throwing attack and backstab damage bonus that you can also use yourself.

The bandit is quick and uses a Morning Star that does a lot of damage. You also use this weapon if they drop it. The bandits will try to surround you from two sides, so watch them carefully.

Assassins have a short poisonous sword and a shield. They move and attack similar to the castle Guard Captains, but poison attack makes them really dangerous.

To counter all the shielded enemies, there's a new weapon in the game: The Excalibur. You can sometimes find this legendary sword in a forest, stuck in a rock. Once you retrieve it, you can cut through enemy shields as if they weren't holding any.

The dungeon features a new level style, with a couple of new trap types, a new treasure chest type and new music theme as well.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

The game has had a big influx of new players recently. One of the popular Twitch streamers played it live, so many people got the game. Some of them recorded live streams on Twitch and some on YouTube. I watched all of those and see that many players coming from simple brawler games often miss the subtle clues about weapons. They just run and gun and don't want to experiment, so they have a sub-par experience as they miss out on fun. On the other hand, as more levels are added the loading times are getting longer (esp. when you first start the game) so I'm planning to add some tips/hints to the loading screen. There will be about 30-40 of those, each showing some interesting mechanics or just explaining how stuff works. The game will pick one randomly for every "loading" screen. Here's an idea what it might look like:

What do you think? Is it clear or did I try to cram too much information in?

Any ideas how to make it even better?

Thanks.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

The game name has been changed to "Son of a Witch". Updated trailer:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2017, 05:09:46 AM »

'm working on the Catacombs level. There will be necromancers that who skeletons. Once you defeat them, you can take their staff and animate your own army of undead:

Beside the skeleton warriors I plan to add archers and mages as well. There will also be a new music theme, traps and a bunch of new items, weapons and mechanics.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »

A new version is available with a lot of new content:

• The 5th level, Catacombs, with 5 new enemy types
  • New hero: Undead Skeleton Ranger
  • Unlocking the new hero is done via a special quest in the old part of the catacombs which is a really dangerous place
  • 2 new bosses
  • 3 new special areas in the forest
  • 1 new mount (zombie pig)
  • 1 new pet (finds hidden runestones)
  • Blue color skin for the sorceress character and achievement to unlock it
  • Elemental altars where you can get some powerful items and weapons
  • A dozen new weapons and items
  • Improved game engine performance
  • Darkness now increases your stats
  • Item and weapon drops are now slightly affected by starting heroes (ex. you are more likely to get magic items when playing with mage)
  • Avarice doubles coins
  • Fixed Amanda's AI on the final screen so she doesn't get stuck
  • Fixed problem with chat not being available on the character selection screen
  • Co-op death countdown now starts from 60 during boss fights
  • Increased lightning damage for the sword
  • Bow descriptions update after damage upgrade
  • Balanced runestone drops from rocks
  • Rebalanced poison to make the Druid hero more viable
  • Added more stats to pause screen
  • Status effect icons show up in two rows in co-op
  • Fixed many bugs
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

I finally made a website for the game. It's here:

http://sonofawitchgame.com/

Please tell me how you like it and let me know I have some typos or bad grammar Wink
PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »

Website looks good. I'm not sure if you made your own icons for the core features part but it may look better if you made them look like assets that come from the game. Right now they look like stock icons from the internet. Also it may look better to add a dungeon-esque background to the lighter parts like the hero section. Right now those parts feel a bit bland. Maybe a light colored dungeon wall background could work.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »

Website looks good. I'm not sure if you made your own icons for the core features part but it may look better if you made them look like assets that come from the game. Right now they look like stock icons from the internet.

Yes, I used the icons from the Font Awesome font. You're right, replacing those with some icons from the game would be better.

Also it may look better to add a dungeon-esque background to the lighter parts like the hero section. Right now those parts feel a bit bland. Maybe a light colored dungeon wall background could work.

Great idea. I felt like it was bland, but had no clue how to improve it. Thanks!
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »

Meet Ugh and Ogh, the cyclops. These brothers are a new boss in the forest. Cyclops is the weakest of all bosses, so there are two of them to make the fight fun.

Since the catacombs update I focused on adding new content to existing levels and bugfixing any problems. I also added 10 new achievements to make the game interesting for players who completed all the levels.

Another new boss is the Ringleader. He sometimes shows up in the dungeon instead of the Simerian Butcher. The Ringleader can jump on you similar to the way the thief does - except that he is faster and has greater reach. If he finds any bombs on you, he would use them immediately. He also steals and throws your other items around.

I also added a new themed area in the forest - a long jump competition. You get some items as rewards for jumping certain distances. To jump even further, you can find some speed buffs like The Rabbit Amulet, Blur Potion, etc. There's also a Steam achievement if you manage to jump really far.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »

The Winter is coming...

A new version of the game is up with the Ice Mountain level:

- slide and glide across the snow as you fight - unless you have a mount
- 3 new enemy units
- 2 new ice weapons
- 1 new boss (Crazy Santa throwing exploding presents)
- added music and sfx volume adjustment to the pause screen
- fixed Mom Books drops for altars to match the achievement unlock description
- lightning now shoots through metal shields
- adjusted mana cost and base damage for some magic wands
- Fire sword now has 100% burn chance
- spawning minions no longer give you mana via Warbreaker (this is to prevent getting infinite number of points in daily challenge)
- fixed a couple of translation related bugs
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:27 AM »

A new version is up with a new boss, the Yeti Elder who is a huge beast whose jumps cause ice to fall from the top of the mountain. He can also spawn smaller Young Yeti minions who also show up in various parts of the ice level.

• Yeti Elder boss
  • Young Yeti enemy
  • Achievement you can win when you defeat the Crazy Santa boss
  • Fixed the pause overlay size for non-English languages
  • Improved the death animation for the Crazy Santa boss
  • Fixed the Reindeer pet name
  • Fixed the Snailbite arrow name
  • Added new graphics for the synergy of Dark Orb and Freezing Orb
  • Fixed the gamble scroll - now it can be used multiple times in the same room and enemies would always change
  • Added all the enemies into the Gamble scroll pool
  • Fixed Fog and Toxic Cloud drawing for screens bigger than 1920x1080
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2017, 03:13:50 AM »

A new version is up:
- 17 new items with unique mechanics
- 5 new weapons with unique mechanics
- 4 new potion effects
- a new scroll: Confusion
- a new quest area in the forest where you can play baseball
- 6 new achievements
- all bows now come with a low-damage knife as a strong attack. You can use the knife to quickly break barrels and boxes and stay alive if you run out of arrows
- get a special reward from the shopkeeper if you buy all the items
- fireball + dark orb synergy now works
- fixed returning bow animation for the Archer
- fixed swoosh animation for melee swing attacks
- all Mom's Books can now be duplicated for increased effect (double poison/fire damage, double freeze duration, etc.)
- added a note showing which sword attacks are quick in the weapon description
- removed the Catacombs Shortcut from the daily challenge
- reduced the mana cost for the Bottomless Bag of Bombs
- show current run time on the pause screen
- fixed the Slime King boss netcode bug
- fixed bug when a player would get sticky feet if he walked into another player that had the effect
- added an option to show the timer during the game.

PvP fixes:
- sudden death timer is no longer running when the game is paused
- using twilight staff spell only increases power for the caster
- turret staff clones now shoot at other players and cannot harm the caster
- fixed the dead animation glitch for the winning player after he gets smashed with the huge hammer
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2017, 02:21:12 AM »

One of the new achievements is getting into the dungeon in under 5 minutes. Better pick a good starting item for that.  Here are a couple of quick runs with the Undead Ranger. One with the Rainbow Horn, which enables you to one-shot enemies when your health is low:

And another with the Bottomless Bag of Bombs. You can create bombs to skip tough rooms:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic