Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:23:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSon of a Witch: An Action Roguelike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Son of a Witch: An Action Roguelike  (Read 19003 times)
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »

Each level in will have one or more locked rooms with treasures.

You can unlock the rooms with keys or blast the doors open with bombs. Or you can use magic scrolls that open doors magically.

Unlocked doors are not controlled by monsters, so you can use them to escape from tight battles.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »

Hey I've been checking this out periodically - all sounds good with how you've described the game. You might also take some inspiration from some of Dragon Crown's progression systems - specifically their loot multipliers where, the longer you stay in, the better the loot gets.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 06:17:48 AM »

Hey I've been checking this out periodically - all sounds good with how you've described the game. You might also take some inspiration from some of Dragon Crown's progression systems - specifically their loot multipliers where, the longer you stay in, the better the loot gets.

Thanks. I will look into Dragon Crown, I haven't played it.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »

Presenting Goblin Berseker:

This goblin combines ranged and melee into a single unit. His rage increases even without hitting an enemy and when the rage is full, he throws the axe towards the player. When up-close we uses the axe to fight in classic melee strikes.

Goblin Axe is a very desired weapon for warriors. It can be thrown from a distance. If your rage meter is full, the thrown axe is unstoppable and flies across the screen knocking everyone down.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »

Due to my mistake parts of two goblins got mixed up:

This looks so funny, I just had to post it. Anyway, the axe throwing works now:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »

I got the multiple shots working. Reminder, it's an effect of one of the potions:

You get more shots, but each orb is weaker. When you start a game with mage you make 6 damage per orb. When split, each orb does 5 damage, but you fire two orbs at once, so that's 10 damage, a nice increase. Of course there are other ways to increase damage back up:

A good combo is when you add poison to it. You can easily poison multiple enemies at once:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »

I'm testing my game engine to see how it behaves in big battles:

Two players, 15 enemies and it works as smooth as with an empty screen. The game will run on a 10-year-old Core2Duo CPU with integrated Intel graphics card at 60fps with smaller resolutions like 1366x768. For HD screens it pushes about 53 fps on that config, but if you have just a little bit stronger CPU or dedicated GPU like nVidia or AMD it will work just fine. It only requires OpenGL 1.1, so even some really old hardware will be able to run the game.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »

As promised, you can pick up enemy weapons and use them. Goblin axe has a simple overhead strike attack mapped to fast attack button. Pressing Strong attack button throws it:

When your rage meter is full, you can use the sweeping mega throw attack:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 01:08:27 PM »

Here are the magic scrolls. Of course, first comes the less interesting part, like picking them up, storing in inventory, etc.:

And then comes the fun part, i.e. using them:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:48 AM »

Here's the first boss: Ogre Mom:

She can be challenging, especially for beginners. She will have several different attacks, the main one hitting you with that huge club:

It shows zero damage, because the player is invulnerable during testing Wink
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 05:11:18 AM »

Here's the gruesome animation. I still need to work on some dust effects on the ground where the club hits:

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »

That thing she does with her head right before attacking is very weird and jarring.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »

If you try to pass behind her back, you might get smacked in the back:

I'm also planning an arena for the boss fight. There will be a small building for goblin warriors to come out and help the Ogre and there's a catapult that you can use when the battle is over

The boss room will have a distinct door which cannot be blasted with bombs:

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 12:59:39 AM »

That thing she does with her head right before attacking is very weird and jarring.

I wouldn't say the head animation is in itself weird and jarring.

I'd even say it's important for the animation, to give it life - she shouts before she attacks and leads the strike with her head.

What is jarring specifically is the pause between her head movement and the strike - they should be part of the same motion.

Also jarring is how linear all the movements are, the parts are either entirely still or moving at a singular speed.

I'd recommend either using some ease-in and ease-out (depending on the motion, the end of the strike should absolutely not ease out) OR embracing the stiffness and snap between poses and moves more!

This kind of paper doll animation is tricky. I got paid to do it for 2 years and I never really learned to love it!
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 01:30:17 AM »

What is jarring specifically is the pause between her head movement and the strike - they should be part of the same motion.

Actually, it was a single motion at first, but it felt weird in some way. Maybe I just need to reduce the delay.

Also jarring is how linear all the movements are, the parts are either entirely still or moving at a singular speed.

Thanks. I'm still learning the craft and this kind of feedback is awesome!
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »

The first level ends when you catapult yourself into the King's Castle:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 12:20:02 AM »

There will be shops on each level, where you can buy various items like potions, bombs, scrolls, weapons, etc.

I plan to have a special potion shop that only sells potions and a pet shop that sells... well, pets.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »

I got so many new elements, I guess it's time to build some variety of levels. Currently there are 15 different level layouts for the forest, but I plan to have at least 60 for the first alpha version:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »

It's time to play with fire. One of the playable characters will be a fire mage, so I decided to play with various fire effects. Wands can shoot fireballs which explode and enemies can players can be set on fire and lose a lot of health while burning:

Here's some animated action. The mage is still using the Snake Staff to fire fireballs, but there will be a special Fire Staff in the final game:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »

Here's a cool combo. If you get both the Snake Staff (poison) and the Fireball Staff (fire), you can buff the Fireball Staff with poison to shoot poisonous fireballs:

Enemies that get hit will be set on fire and poisoned at the same time. Somehow the burning animation is missing here, I need to fix that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic