Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:10:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSon of a Witch: An Action Roguelike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Son of a Witch: An Action Roguelike  (Read 18995 times)
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »

Campfires are the first hazard in the game. If you step on it, you are set on fire for a couple of seconds, which is enough to deplete 80% of fully healed hero. At least, until you buff your hit points. The fire does not kill you ever, but it can lower your HP to just one point and then a single enemy hit will bring you down.

Enemies try to stay away from it, but with some skill you might be able to push them into fire by a well placed sweeping attack.

P.S. unlike this .gif, the animation doesn't skip frames in the real game Wink
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »

Bombs

Bombs have three different purposes in the game: 1. blast the rocks to find some items hidden underneath and to open some blocked passages. 2. blast doors to escape tough battles or locked doors when you don't have a key. 3. blast your enemies. This 3rd use is hard to do because the enemies are constantly on the move, but it's great for bosses because most of them will be stunned for a couple of seconds if the bomb hits them.

Yeah, those exploding barrels are really in the game, but they have a special role. It's secret you will have to discover while playing.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »

So many ways to escape when things go south: blast a door with a bomb, use a scroll to open doors, use a key if some of the doors is locked... but now there's one more. A magic scroll that teleports you to a random location somewhere else in the forest:

It never teleports you into a boss fight, but anything else is possible.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »

During the adventure, you will be able to upgrade your weapons as well. The upgrade material are the runestones, magic stones of unknown origin that can be used to improve damage and range of your weapons. There are different runestones for melee, magic and ranged weapons.

The upgrade animation is still work in progress, but I'm getting there:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2016, 01:12:39 AM »

On every level there will be some areas that are behind locked doors or simply blocked paths. If you manage to find keys or blast your way through (or teleport across, or ...) you can get inside and loot all the chests. Well, maybe not all. Some chests are locked and you need a key to open those.

This beautiful gold chest is a drawing by a new artist on the team who will be contributing some more art to the game in the future.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »

You might discover rings that give you special powers of the second sight. For example, the blue one allows you to see inside locked chests.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »

Does this look cute, silly, or ...?

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »

It looks kind of weird. o:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »

Here's another environmental hazard:

I call them SpikeBalls. Does anyone know the real name?
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2016, 04:40:36 AM »

Apparently a good name for spike balls is "Caltrop".

Moving on, the character selection screen has some basic stats like Archery, Melee and Magic proficiency:

Those numbers are percentages. For example, if a Sword does 12 damage, a hero with 100 Melee will deal 12 damage when he hits, while a Hero with 50 Melee will only deal 6 damage. Those skill numbers can increase and decrease during game with various potions and artifacts.

The character on this screenshot has both Magic and Melee at 100 for testing purposes, but there won't be any such character in the game... Actually, one class (Paladin) will be close, but it will have something like 100/70/30 for Melee/Magic/Archery.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2016, 05:56:24 AM »

While I don't think there's anything wrong with that system, it seems like it would discourage variety during play sessions which seems like it would go against the variety you're trying to enforce with all of the weapons. You might just know something I don't, though.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »

While I don't think there's anything wrong with that system, it seems like it would discourage variety during play sessions which seems like it would go against the variety you're trying to enforce with all of the weapons. You might just know something I don't, though.

The main reason for this is that I expect the game to be played by multiple players, each using a different class of character. This way they won't compete for items.

Although, you might be right for a single player game. This could create a problem. You would still be able to use the special attacks even if it's outside your class ability, but then you would use it as a secondary weapon and it would take one slot (inventory slots are meant to be limited). I plan to have one class that is fairly balanced (70/70/70), so players can pick that one if they want to be able to use all items effectively.

I guess the only way to tell would be through play testing.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

The goblin shaman's main weapon is the Meteor Staff. I'm testing how the meteors work:

Looks like I forgot to limit the meteor count Wink
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »

If you attack a shop keeper, you can snatch any item for free. However, he has a bodyguard:

There are various ways you can defeat him though, but it's often very risky:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »

Here's a video of some co-op gameplay. You can see how we robbed the shop  Grin

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2016, 01:09:11 AM »

Here's a first trailer:

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »

Cool stuff! Though, I feel like the trailer could be half as long and spend less time on the individual clips. It seems to just kind of drag on--especially with the fairly slow and disinteresting music which doesn't really sound like it fits

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »

Cool stuff! Though, I feel like the trailer could be half as long and spend less time on the individual clips. It seems to just kind of drag on--especially with the fairly slow and disinteresting music which doesn't really sound like it fits

You're right. I have some more dramatic music for the boss fights, so I could use that. Combined with shorter cuts, it would be more engaging.

Thanks!
Pixel_Squid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »

Looks amazing,sign me in for the beta Wink
But really,the art is very good and the gameplay and overall ideia seems to work on may levels,at least for me  Gomez
Keep up the good work
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »

Looks amazing,sign me in for the beta Wink

Thanks. If you want to get notified when a first playable version is available, there's a way to submit your e-mail at the top of my blog http://bigosaur.com/blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic