Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:56:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSon of a Witch: An Action Roguelike
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Son of a Witch: An Action Roguelike  (Read 18852 times)
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11:08 PM »

I  have some cut-scenes planned for the final game, but currently a couple of placeholder images will do the job of showing the game plot:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:26:27 AM by bigosaur » Logged
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »

I was always very curious about the name. I guess now I know! :'D
Looking good.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »

Sometimes a special kind of room will be created in the maze: a potion shop, pet shop or a quest room. More on quest rooms later, but here's the potion room:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »

Here's the second playable character: A Knight

The Knight is fully animated, programmed and ready to go:

Compared to the mage, he has a couple of extra melee animations. The weak attack has three animations instead of just two and there's a special smash animation which activates when the last enemy in the area is lying on the ground:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:06 AM »

The forest level ends like this:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »

It's time for the second level. As our heroes launch themselves with a catapult into the castle, they land on the top of the battlements:

As the goblin invasion is in progress, the battlements are filled with dangerous war machinery. The castle guards are defending a siege and have prepared various weapons and traps for the invaders. You are intruding here, so prepare to deal with the guards and the hazards at the same time.

The second level is meant to be more dangerous, but possibly shorter than the forest area playwise. You're walking around the battlements looking for a way to enter the castle insides.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »

The game just passed the greenlight and it's on Steam now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/539400

I made a couple of videos showing the gameplay, enjoy:

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »

Congratulations on the greenlight!

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2016, 01:41:36 AM »

I have been quiet with adding new features to the game as I was preparing for the Steam release. Many bugs were fixed, netcode works properly again, and I made some changes to enable full controller support. That's right, now you can lean back and play it all with a controller, even stuff like entering player names and password codes for online multiplayer.

The Glacier has been nerfed a little bit - the special Freeze All Enemies power is now magic based instead of rage based. It needs 2 mana bars to activate. It's still very powerful, but not game breaking anymore.

I also added health bars to enemies:

I was a little bit conflicted about this change. Neither Castle Crashers nor The Binding of Isaac have those. But Rampage Knights has, and the combat feels better. You would rarely look at the health bar for enemy, but sometimes it gets important, esp. when you're dealing with bigger crowds - it makes it easier to pick those you can one-shot and remove from the battle. I understand some players might not like it, so it's optional. You can turn it off in the Graphics settings.
Ashmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2016, 03:58:09 AM »

I think it's a pretty nice game. I can't wait to play your game!  Coffee
KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2016, 05:10:32 PM »

lol awesome design on the ogre mom.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »

I have been so busy with development (and sick with a flu), so I barely managed to give any updates on the progress. Anyway, the Archer's ready:

He shows up randomly in the forest as an NPC and gives you a quest. Once you complete the quest, he will be unlocked and you can select him.

And the game is now available on MacOSX and Linux.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

I can't say I like what I've seen so far from the game. But I would like to give you at least a bit of feedback instead of letting you in the rain. So don't get me wrong when what I say is not haw awesome it is what I've seen so far.

I don't like the art style. That is definitively a matter of taste, but it feels a bit conceptless. On one side it looks with these  proportions like it tries to be cute, but on the other side it has orcs in them being brutal. But their are also not very brutal, they seem more like they want to fondle you.

The mechanics I've seen so far I have all seen already, so I don't understany why I should be exited about this game. Also I don't get why this recombination should be so great.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

The mechanics I've seen so far I have all seen already, so I don't understany why I should be exited about this game. Also I don't get why this recombination should be so great.

I understand it isn't the game for everyone, so I don't expect everyone to get excited. The game is made for people who have played through Castle Crashers and want more. Castle Crashers gets boring pretty soon, because the game is linear and the bosses are sponges with a lot of HP. And magic / archery is very limited.

The point of this game is that it's roguelike and you can play it over and over again. As you said, there's nothing new if you take any of the ingredients separately, but if you take it all together: there's no 4-player co-op fantasy beat'em up of this type.

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »

I have been silent for a while because I'm preparing a lot of content for the next chapter:

The goblins are storming into the castle. While the guards are fighting back, you are trying to get to the dungeon. You need to go through the keep while the goblins and guards are both attacking each other and you as well. This gives you some interesting tactical options. Do you just evade them and let them battle it out before attacking the winner, or you try to help the weaker side to even out the balance of power.

The next update will feature a new area with different graphics, background music and environment (traps, destructable items). And a couple of new enemies and a new boss.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2016, 01:58:53 AM »

Some new items coming in the next version as well:

There's a reusable map, bottomless bag of bombs, and a magic chest that turns mana into gold.

Beside those, there will be a bunch of pendants granting you immunity to fire, ice, poison and petrifying. The Run Like the Wind potion is removed from the pool because it was OP - a new amulet is introduced instead which gives you a permanent speed upgrade.

The Overdose potion is going to be replaced with a Beer Beer! item, so that drinking unknown potions isn't so punishing.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »

if you use the sunset scroll on lvl 2 it affects the ogre & battering ram

Fixed it. It will be in the next version. Thanks.

A new sword is added to the game:

It's called Thunderstriker currently. If you have an idea for a better name, please tell me.

It has regular swing and overhead strike attacks and the special rage attack is to shoot a lighting bolt. The bolt doesn't knock down enemies, and does 25 damage/hit, so it can deal anywhere between 50 damage to lesser enemies to 125 damage to a boss. The shorter range of the special attack is compensated by the longer range of the sword (currently it's the weapon with the farthest reach in the game), decent damage and ability to shoot lightning through obstacles.

Get an Infinite rage potion and have some fun.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »

After a long time I come back. I actually played castle crashers, and I liked it really a lot. It is not only an entertaining game, it all the time completely exaggerated, so that the first time playing through the game it all seems ridiculous and a lot of fun. I can't see this exaggeration in your art style, it all seems to be generic with what I can see so far. I can't find the magical liopleurodon, or the laser raptor. I feel there is this special ingredient missing that makes this game look different from the other games. And there are a lot of side scrolling beat em up games for 4 players that you can play over and over again. Little Fighter 2 for example.
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »

Little Fighter 2 for example.

It only has beat'em up, and lacks all the items, mechanics, pets, random dungeons, treasure chests, etc, etc. from My Mom is a Witch. And you can't really say that graphics are better either.

The only game with similar feature set is Rampage Knights and it's two-player only.

I don't see why are you so hostile. People make the games that look like other games all the time, that's how genres came to be. Not every game has to be revolutionary, esp. small games by one-man teams.

Anyway, nobody is forcing you to play it nor follow this thread. My Steam sales show that there are definitely people interested in this type of game and I'm making the game for them.

Cheers.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2016, 05:55:43 AM »

Krux isn't being hostile, that person is just trying to help you.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic