Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:13:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Small Robot Story - Story-driven Retro Platformer [DEMO AVAILABLE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: A Small Robot Story - Story-driven Retro Platformer [DEMO AVAILABLE]  (Read 8656 times)
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply! Good luck for the steam greenlight campaign. I have another question related to development: is your gameplay totally finished, and then you are going to tileset for levels, then you go for building levels? or are you working with placeholders?

I'm a bit stuck in my own game because I don't know what should be my starting point, my gameplay elements are not fully implemented but I need more level and PNJ to test it but I feel that to implement characters and levels I need the associated graphical assets but doing only graphic for now feels like the game development is not moving at all, and it's frustrating... I decided that I should work with placeholders for a while but it's frustrating as well not seeing the character your are talking too  Big Laff

bclikesyou
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

Parallax test for lab level. Needs some tweaking (parallax layers need to be bumped up to a power of two) but it's a decent start.
bclikesyou
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »

Annnnndddd I'm Greenlit  Coffee

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »

Congrats on getting Greenlit! Smiley

bclikesyou
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »

More parallax testing. Gotta tweak that middle layer so it doesn't look so much like building-tops :p
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 01:32:34 AM »

Nice effect! it's nice that is is animated!

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 05:00:37 AM »

Congrats! Last gif is awesome - love this truly oldschool look.

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
bclikesyou
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »

Nice effect! it's nice that is is animated!

Thanks! Yeah the animation adds quite a bit.

Congrats! Last gif is awesome - love this truly oldschool look.

Thanks!
bclikesyou
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »

Test of all Level 3 (Helix's Laboratory) art and set pieces. GIF randomly speeds up :\
bclikesyou
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2016, 06:35:00 AM »

Been working on coding Level 3 enemies. Unfortunately this means nothing cool to show yet since I use placeholder art while coding  Smiley

Good news is that, according to schedule, I am ahead by one week. However I'm sure that will change soon  Cry I just finished all 3 new enemies yesterday and will start on their art this week. Hopefully I'll have something cool to show off by the end of this weekend.
bclikesyou
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »

Two new enemies!

Up first is Headshot. Erratic robot head that shoots a spread shot.

Next is the Infected Robot. He staggers around and then will vomit in your direction. Still working on vomit art. Currently he vomits bullets  Big Laff
bclikesyou
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »

Heads up to my audio friends!

If you've ever exported an audio clip that needs to be a loop, you're well aware of that annoying <1 sec of blank audio that most encoders add. Totally roaches your pretty seamless loop.

Well I found a fix!

I recently tried out the digital audio workstation (DAW) REAPER. It's pretty sweet and made by the dude who made Winamp. First 60 days are free (all features available) and after that you would have to pay for a license. The cost is $60 which is totally worth it. Most DAW's of this caliber run $100+ easily.

Anyways on to the fix. Upon trimming your audio and prepping it to be a loop, you would go to File>Render. When the render box pops up, you'll see under "Time Bound" a check box for "Tail". Uncheck that. It'll prevent the codec you use (mp3, wav, aiff, etc) from adding that annoying empty gap to the end of the export.

If you find yourself having blank audio at the beginning AND end, check out the REAPER manual here and refer to section 21.5 "Rendering a finished song": it explains how to lay down markers and tell the DAW to export ONLY what is between those markers. Pretty handy.
bclikesyou
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »

Finally wrapped my head around passing along parameters to a master object. Right here I have a function passing different bullet parameters (animation, gravity, speed) for different enemies to a single bullet object. Setting up the object UID as param(0) was my hangup.
bclikesyou
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »

All Level 3 enemies. Will probably add a re-skin of a non-projectile enemy for variety. A lot of projectiles flying around!
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 01:06:26 AM »

This level seem very creepy  Who, Me?

bclikesyou
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »

First pass on the Level 3 boss. Largest boss yet! All code is in; just figuring out the art.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »

Looks very cool!

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »

Poor fellow, he seems badly hurt Sad please end his misery  Cry

bclikesyou
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »

Still cranking away! The end is almost in sight!

How's the game going, man?
  • Pushed a new test build out to some playtesters that included new features and levels
  • Brought a friend on board to do all cut scene art
  • Built checkpoint system
  • Squashed a ton of bugs
  • Added analog stick support
  • A ton of other small clean-ups

What's left, dude?
  • Cut scenes and level design for Level 3
  • Everything for Level 4 (art, enemies, boss, etc)
  • A few main features (power-ups, controller schemes)
  • Steam support (anxious about this!)
  • That dreaded last 10%!

Still aiming for a Late Spring / Early Summer release. I still have a ton of work ahead of me but feels good to be somewhere around or past the 50% mark. Delegating out the cut scene art really took a bunch of weight off my shoulders.
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 06:26:00 AM »

Nice! Don't let go man! I'm happy to see you're still in the game!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic