Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:23:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrimson Keep - First Person ARPG - Released!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Crimson Keep - First Person ARPG - Released!  (Read 31461 times)
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »

Fighting a skeleton with new hp bar in the new area I'm working on, the crypts!

CRIMSON KEEP - First Person Action Roguelite
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 04:33:05 AM »

Another shot of the new crypt area I'm working on.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:58:20 PM by CrimsonKeep » Logged

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 06:36:57 AM »

Looks neat. How many people work on this?

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »

Looks neat. How many people work on this?

Thanks da neel, at the moment just 2 people. I'm Ian, the artist, game designer, producer type person, and Ben's the programmer. We've also used a couple contractors for sounds and music.

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »

Hey everyone, Ian here, game designer and artist for Crimson Keep. Over the last couple weeks we've added a weapon skill system, introduced HP bars and damage text for the enemies, and completed the first pass on all of the cave rooms. Moving forward we're starting work on the next area, The Crypt. Ben is also working on setting up the game for progressively harder areas, allowing us to swap out monsters for harder ones as you get farther into the game.

Weapon Skills

I've had a love for systems like this in games for a long time. Basically every time the player hits an enemy they have a chance to raise their skill with the weapon they're using. As weapon skill goes up it reduces the chance that their attacks are duds, increases their potential damage, chance to crit, double attack, and so on.

My main inspiration for this system is the original Everquest, which managed to addict me, largely in part to this "minigrind" within the normal level grind. Watching your skill go up somewhat rapidly, and knowing and feeling a tangible increase in damage/effectiveness is a great feeling. There's another game design concept that I connect it to, that I don't really have a name for, but Doom is a good example of it. Everyone loves the guns in Doom, they feel good to shoot, sound cool, some of them are more effective at certain encounters, they're great. Well, all except one weapon; the pistol. Doom's pistol feels terrible. You might lump the fist attack in with the pistol, but that berserk powerup makes even the fists awesome to use. Once you have the minigun you will straight up never use the pistol again. The pistol sucks, but I believe it sucks by design, and it's important that it sucks. The fact that it sucks makes everything else feel cooler. And by the same token our weapon skill system starts the player off doing very low damage, and as annoying as that is, it makes it that much more rewarding when you are kicking ass later.

Enemy HP bar and damage text

I decided the HP bar and damage text was our next priority simply because the skills system was so difficult to test and feel out without some indication of how much damage you're doing. For the HP bar it came down to a decision between the screen mounted Diablo 2 style bar that sits at the top of the screen, or the Dark Souls style bar that follows around enemies, showing up when they take damage, and fading away after several seconds. As you can see we went with the Dark Souls style. I think the Diablo 2 style hp bar works, but only if you don't want to show numbers, but because of the incremental skills system I talked about earlier, I definitely wanted to show numbers. If we showed damage numbers with the Diablo 2 style HP bar, the player ends up just staring at the top of the screen watching the numbers. With our system, the player's vision is focused on the enemy. Their eye is reading their movements, tells, remaining HP, and their own damage, making the main area of information tight and readable. The only real difference from the Dark Souls HP bar is the damage numbers. We opted to not add them up, so the player would have quicker understanding of how much damage each hit was doing without having to do math in their head (not my strong suit).

The Crypt

And as I mentioned, we've begun working on the environments and new monster types for the Crypt, which is the area that follows the caves/mines.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and interest in the project. As always feel free to comment with questions, or thoughts you have about the game.

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »

Coming on very nicely, I also like the mini-grinds. Interesting to see a fellow dev name checking original EverQuest, a game I'm also drawing from.
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »

Coming on very nicely, I also like the mini-grinds. Interesting to see a fellow dev name checking original EverQuest, a game I'm also drawing from.

Yeah, I think EQ was the game that really made me want to make games. 1996 Diablo - "hey games are really cool." 1999 EverQuest - "Okay I need to make these."

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »

New player HP, XP, and weapon skill UI !!!  Waaagh!

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »

Went over 1000 commits to our repo today! Working on making rooms for the crypt tileset:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:58:34 PM by CrimsonKeep » Logged

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »

Looks really action-packed. Needs more HUD.

Mmm... HUD.

And yet, still not satisfied...
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »

Exploring dark misty crypts...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »

Looks neat Smiley

Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »

Keep it up! : )
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »

Thanks eigenbom and Teslohan!

Hey everyone, Ian here, game designer and artist for Crimson Keep. Over the last week we've made some strides with the player UI and a new area of the game, the crypt, as well as setting up enemy progression.

After a couple publishers showed interest in playing the game, we felt it was time again to introduce a little more polish into the look and feel of the game. User interface tends to be a big part of this. Although the art I made for the interface is far from finished, it sets the mood better than plain white text with the Arial font did. There's still a lot of work to do with UI, but I think we've taken some good first steps.

Getting the game setup so that we can place monsters of varying difficulties in each subsequent area of the game, and balancing their stats with the player's is an important task. So over the last couple weeks Ben got the game hooked up so it knows how far into the game each area is, and can spawn different monsters depending on that. In the end we really want to avoid just doing basic reskins with different stats, fortunately there is a lot of things that can be tuned: attack speed, attack range, turn speed, charge stun/snare power/duration, personal buffs, and a lot more. We aim to have around unique enemies in each tileset, with their own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. The plan is to have 9 levels of the dungeon, with 7 distinct tilesets.

Thanks for your continued interest and support for our game! Stay tuned for more articles in the coming weeks. Please feel free to offer up any questions or comments you might have about the game, we're always looking for more feedback.

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:45 AM »

Trying cave textures without the photo reference, to fit in with the stylized look of the rest of the game better.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:58:55 PM by CrimsonKeep » Logged

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »

Fantastic! Love the environment art.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer