Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:34:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTOTEM TELLER
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TOTEM TELLER  (Read 25384 times)
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 08:59:36 AM »

This aesthetic is soo great. I am not a big fan of glitch, usually, but you're doing something special here. I like how you're putting it together in such a way that it is turning into a very unique visual language.

Wonderful stuff, Ben!

Also, congratulations on the little one. I wish him, your girl and you all the best! Hurrah!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »

Looks beautiful! The screentone effect is really cool!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »

really love the style and the concept.  Gomez

Gungnir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »

LOG_03: DEBUG UI

Hi all, I’m Jerry, the other half of Grinning Pickle. I’m responsible for the technical side of this project. I am a Technical Artist by trade and that has given me a certain fascination with tools and workflow. Even in a 2 person team I’m a big believer in streamlining our workflow. And so a significant part of my time is spent on doing just that.

Today I want to go over an example of how we approach that: our Debug UI.

I’ve worked on a bunch of AAA titles and although every studio builds it differently, some sort of “Debug UI” is always there. Usually it’s just a slew of text drawn to the screen by programmers which can look quite bad and it can be clunky to navigate. I’ve tried to improve that, make it a nice experience.

When our game is running we can simply press and hold TAB to open up the Debug panel. It’s got a bunch of pages with related stuff that we can flip between.

There’s controls in the corner to flip pages and  pin the UI. The FPS counter is up there as well,  with a nice bar graph.

The first page has a bunch of general data that is being displayed and gives access to a bunch of things we want to control often, such as the game speed.
We can take screenshots right from this page as well.

Since we’re using such wide array of post processing it has its own page. It lets us check which volume we’re currently in and, most importantly, it lets us inspect every single value on the various effects. There’s also a toggle for each individual effect to turn it on or off.

I spent a few days this week on the graphics page. It lets us control a bunch of settings related to graphics. To me, the coolest thing though, is that we can view our render textures here. I’m drawing them to the UI on the left of the panel and we can flip between all the textures that are used to draw the current frame. This lets us see what information is stored there and what steps are being taken to create the final image.

In this example it gives you a rare peek at the game before any of the effects are being applied, the virgin frame.

That’s all for now. Cheers.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:58:49 AM by Gungnir » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 04:01:15 AM »

Just spotted this on the #screenshotsaturday thread. Commenting to follow because it looks astonishingly lovely.

Also, congrats on the baby boy! I found that game dev is good preparation because you're already used to hardly getting any sleep  Wink

muppetWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 06:05:47 AM »

Congrats on your new baby!

This game has one of the most unique and beautiful art directions I've ever seen! Also loving the posts on the technical side of things and can't wait to see where you guys take this.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Le Loupgarou Dev Blog
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »

You guys should seriously consider doing some high res prints of your environments. Its art I'd hang on my wall...

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 08:47:58 PM »

This devlog is off to an amazing start - keep up the good work guys, I can't wait to see more! You have a wonderful aesthetic and I'm looking forward to see where this project goes.

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »

This game looks incredible.  You guys are true artists. 
Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »

Wow, just incredible. It goes to show how little we have scratched the surface of where game visuals can go! Well done guys.

The game play also sounds very intriguing. Would love to hear/read more.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:38 AM »

can't wait to see what the game will be like

benjkers
Level 0

digging for precious games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 04:20:40 AM »

LOG_04: BEACH AREA PROCESS
This week we spent some time building out a stretch of beach. It belongs to a larger coastal level - one of the three major environments that comprise the story world.

We've been putting this off for a while, as priorities shifted to dialogue systems. We really enjoyed finally getting back to the coast, a space quite different than the forest we'd been building initially.

Here's a look at the process of bringing sea to shore.

Usually, I'll start with a thumbnail sketch, just thinking about general shape/motif. Each area theme is tied visually to narrative concepts this way. While forest is predominantly angular and very contrasty -- unyielding logic -- The beach employs curves, softer, cooler hues and sine wave forms meant to evoke openness & empathy:

Next is a more traditional level design (LD) sketch. Here I'm focused on distance between points, major location features and relative asset scale. I use the lasso tool and a mono palette so I remain focus on those things, rather than art details.

That LD sketch is then used to identify asset need. I sketch those very roughly, then move them to specific files grouped by type (flora, topography, etc). This first pass is always 'common' assets - stuff with high reuse. I'll do 'hero' assets for set piece locations and interactives in a much later pass, as being certain of scale and function is a necessity to avoid wasted art.

Motion of the Ocean
The priority (untested) aspect of the beach art was nailing the 'flat' beach wave cycle. So we started on that first. I produced a mock-up image (constructed of final textures) in photoshop, just to make sure everything is visually in sync.

ignore the bigger waves - they're for another part of the coast :D

Next, those textures are exported and bought into unity for animation. We have several choices for animation, but regular unity anim is the fastest(if janky to use) option for the base wave asset, as exact control over timing was important.

After the wave timing anim is there, we move to secondary animation and effects. In short, more layers, color animation, some distortion shaders.

Happy with the main wave, next we had to address the seam between sand and the main body of the sea. It's also where the player would be blocked, so some visual delineation helps. The wave covers this most of the time, but we need to know that's not too jarring in the few cases it is seen. In the end we went for a combination of a few planes - sea 'fill', rolling waves and an irregular distorted edge. It'll do for now.

Now the fun part starts. Deco, FX, polish. Jerry wrote a nice little anim timing offset script so I could finally add the 'relief' waves. So a new wave is always arriving as the previous recedes. After timing is adjusted, the sea seam is never fully exposed.

Earlier, Jerry had also done some work on a reflection shader. As a first test we set it up on some of the rocks.

Next, I dressed the dunes/inland with the other assets I'd prepared. Practically, I'm testing how well things transition from inland flora. The inland stuff will come into to play more in another area of the coast.

Finally, I set up some distinct post-process and color adjustment for the inland area vs the beach. You may have noticed the base assets are fairly low in saturation and contrast. That's because it gives me more range to adjust in engine. Not quite like diffuse color + traditional lighting, but similar motivation.

For now this is where we ended up:

Still not 100%, but - it's definitely a beach! When we next revisit this I'll probably add a small crest in the sea for each wave, so there's a more definite source. We've also got to add FX for impacts on submerged objects, and for the Teller's footsteps and reflection.

Next tasks: Moving back to writing, dialogue/interaction feedback and preparing some reference for our composer/sound designer. Hope to have a stab at an area/main music theme by end of this month!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:34:24 AM by benjkers » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 04:47:20 AM »

Amazing update, love the detail and (of course) the "finished" scene looks amazing as always.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:36 AM »

Just wanted to say this game is stunning. Keep up with the good work!

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 06:19:51 AM »

I can only echo everyone's sentiment about the art style. So beautiful.
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

Discovered Totem Teller on KillScreen, your game is absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to hear more about it :-)

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »

Oh, by the way, I actually read about your game on this Japanese gaming site first before I realized you guys had also posted to tigsource. Smiley
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »

I love your post processing effects guys, I need them!!! Smiley

elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 01:34:56 AM »

Not much to say apart from seconding how amazing the glitchy art style looks. The colour palettes of each screen shot in the last update vary wonderfully. Will be following this closely, excited to hear what sort of sounds your composer comes up with, too!

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 05:06:29 AM »

I love how you share some insight on your process, really inspiring stuff. Are there any music previews we can chew on yet? I'm really curious to see how your musician approaches this.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic