Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:20:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Godot Engine Resources
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Godot Engine Resources  (Read 2029 times)
ciangames
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »

Hi guys, check the curated directory below with several resources, tutorials, scripts, demos and games related with the awesome, free and recently released Godot Engine 2.0:

"Godot is an advanced, feature packed, multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine. It provides a huge set of common tools, so you can just focus on making your game without reinventing the wheel."
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:22 AM »

Fantastic!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

I care if I can make (3d) games for odroid** or  raspberry pi0

Can I? say yes please Sad

ciangames
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:44:50 PM »

Yes, Godot support creation of 3D games for Android, check the official site http://www.godotengine.org/
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »

Android is not the same as arm/videocoreIV or mali4xx but I checked there is a branch for the rpi2 compatible with the rpi1 using raspian. Odroid is not confirmed, but since it's basically a lot like (same spec) a lot of android phone I think it might works

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:59 AM »

Can't you just open up some default project in Godot and try to run it on those? If it works, it works.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »

I think you need to compile first and maybe adapt the code a bit, at least that's what I found after researching the matter. It's too low level for me, fortunately some people has done just that for the pi, though odroid I have seen nothing yet, however the odroid is closer to most phone architecture "in theory".

I have yet to purchase them, should have done this month but there was unexpected expense to deal with, will update once I tries.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »

I care if I can make (3d) games for odroid** or  raspberry pi0

Technically, yes you can. But as you yourself pointed out, that is a low-level operation. I know that at least one person has ported Godot to the Raspberry Pi. But there is currently no official support for this effort. Godot is open-source, so you can do whatever you please with the code, and port it to whatever platform that you can. The fact that one person already ported it to the Raspberry Pi indicates that it is fairly port-friendly.

It would be great to see the community surrounding Godot port it to all sorts of platforms. Micro computers like the Pi are fairly under-served when it comes to game engines. Godot could easily become one of the go-to engines for such platforms with its integrated tools and visual editor.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:30 AM »

Exactly, especially for education, the low cost single board computer make them easy to teach and spread. It also open for self publish indie game console customized to one game complex toy to game.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »

I recently dug back into this topic, doing a little research to see what was possible.

Godot has been updated to version 3. This new version adds a lot of big changes, including C# mono integration for some strictly-typed scripting. The one down side is that they have dropped support for older versions of OpenGL, which essentially invalidates Godot for use on the Raspberry Pi. (pretty much any version, even the 3) Even the basic Android deployment wouldn't run on a Raspberry Pi 3.

This development, as well as my experimenting with running Unity games on the Raspberry Pi 3, have lead me to begin exploring other micro-computer boards. I found that the RPi3 allows for running Android, and can run Unity games that are deployed to Android, but the performance is very poor. Sadly, the RPi3 just isn't performance focused when it comes to graphics. This is understandable, as it is much more focused on education and experimentation. It is supposed to be cheap and stable, not graphically capable. And while the RPi3 can be used for games, it just doesn't have the kind of muscle to handle proper middleware engines.

After doing some research looking for alternatives, the most likely candidates are the ODroid XU4, and the Asus Tinker Board. Both of these are more expensive boards, but both also have more advanced, powerful GPUs that support OpenGL ES 3.0. Both boards also have superior OS support, with base-line distros for Android as well as ARM Linux. (which would allow for a reasonable deployment target for many game engines) I haven't acquired either board yet, but likely will at some point in the future. The Tinker Board is actually a bit scarce at the moment, as Asus is prepping to release a more advanced "S" model in the near future.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »

Thanks for that, though I would like to heard about cheaper board lol, guess I'll have to make homework

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic