Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:35:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhere do I start? (designer looking for coder)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where do I start? (designer looking for coder)  (Read 1633 times)
markinjapan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »

Ok, so I'm a designer, I've worked in the games industry for over 5 years and now, after making other peoples games, I want/need to make my own. So, can someone tell me how I start?

I'm thinking I need a coder(I can do the rest) to mock up ideas with? I've thought of asking around in the company I'm already in but they all seem to have their own side projects and I'd prefer to work with someone who has fresh thoughts.

Does anyone know where I can start looking? I'd be grateful for any links, etc that anyone can throw my way. I've looked around but it seems every 'dev' webpage has a forum, is there a hub of some kind that everyone knows?

Oh, and if there are any coders here, here's what I'm looking for:

-a coder who knows physics, of the 2d kind, lets start simple.
-lives in or close to london (so we can get together and communicate properly)
-has an interest in making small games (as I said, start small)
-has an interest in game design (someone who will challenge my ideas)
-is serious (i'm deadly serious about this, I've got loads of ideas, I know a lot about
gaming and I want to make games.)
-has the time to spare (I would devote all my spare time to this and I ask the same of you)
-has some demos of stuff they've done (either commercial or private, and I'll show you my work)
-is mature, I'm 36.
-this is not paid work, we would be partners in anything we create.

Thats it.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

M.

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:10:11 AM »

So, can someone tell me how I start?

I'm thinking I need a coder [...]

What you need is the ability to convince people that your ideas are good and worthy to be realized. If you have that, people will come and join in.

Per aspera ad astra
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »

An excellent place to start would be the Introduce Yourself thread.

You might give something of a resume to demonstrate that you do have experience as a designer, skills such as level designing or art, and so forth.

You might also want to start prototyping your own concepts by picking up Game Maker or other game making software - take a look in the top threads in the Technical Forum.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »

First off, introduce yourself: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0  around these parts it's considered a sort of basic politeness.

Then, talk about your ideas, contribute to threads, start some relevant ones of your own.  If you're worried about people stealing your 'best stuff' then by all means hold that back, but unless you put some effort into convincing people you're worth working with you wont get very far, 'sell' yourself, walk the walk, -insert other relevant clichés here-.

Oh, and also, a big long list of "things that must be true for me to be interested in working with you" isn't going to do you any favours.  Best case it'll cut out some  awesome potential people, worst case it'll put the people that do fit the mold off too.

Anyway, that all probably comes across a bit negative, but it's really not meant to be.  Good luck with it Coffee

markinjapan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »

Ah yes, sorry, I'm a bit new to posting on forums, here's my introduction:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg174373#msg174373

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »

Might also want to check out this thread too.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1002.0

Also, I'm locking this thread since its not 100% relevant to the Indie section. You can alwasy c&p your message in the collab thread tho. Like others siaf before, just hang around look at games, get in touch and post around, you'll probably find someone you like and wanna work with.  Gentleman

Take care

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic