Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:53:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMjolnir [Concept Thread]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mjolnir [Concept Thread]  (Read 3982 times)
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »

Premise
Mjolnir is a project I've been working on for a little while. It's going to be a mixture of classic sidescrolling beat-em-ups and modern sandbox games. You find a massive hammer, then its up to you what you do next. Your decisions decide what enemies you fight, if you fight at all, what moves you learn, what areas you can visit, your general stats, and even the final boss. Its going to be programmed in either Stencyl or Mechasource, depending on which one I prefer when they are released and assuming I on't come along someone willing to program.

Gameplay
You will fight by moving the mouse, different directions doing different attacks. Side attack being a quick move that can be chained into other attacks, down being a heavy area attack that knocks enemies back, up being an attack that launches enemies into the air. Various other moves can be unlocked. When you unlock your first level of charge is unlocked early on you can charge up your hammer to do a more powerful lightning charged version of each move, each on using a certain amount of your super gauge. You will later be able to charge it with other elements depending on your alignment and unlock new levels of charge, which may supply you with new moves altogether. The final (4th) level will have a single move, but you'll have to wait and see what that is. As you acquire moves by doing missions from whoever you're working for, you can choose which moves you put where (for example you may start out working for the police and gain a rising attack for your up attack then also apply a move you get from a gang you join later, a flaming smash for example, to your down attack) allowing you to mix and match. Placing a move on a lower level of charge will cause it to use much more of your special gauge. You can also drop the hammer for increased mobility. You later gain the ability to throw it and even summon it.

Controls
With Hammer
Arrows- Move
Double Tap L. or R.- Dash
Mouse Movement While Holding L.Click- Attacks
L. Click- Action (talk, interact)
R. Click- Block
X- Drop Hammer (throw w/ level 1 charge)
Hold L.Click (not moving)- Charge (4 levels)
Without Hammer
Arrows- Move
L. Click- Action
R. Click- Jump
x- Summon Hammer

Graphics
Idle-
Idle w/ Hammer-
Walk-
Walk w/ Hammer-
Jump-
Hurt w/ Hammer-
Title Screen-
Explosion-
Police Man-

Can You Help?
You most certainly can. If you have any ideas, are pretty good with pixels, happen to be good at programming, or are a supar rad musician, feel free. You will get credit and you will be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:42:17 PM by Tuna Unleashed » Logged

Lo
medieval
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »

The gameplay mechanics you thought up are very promising, I think. Certainly I'm going to follow this project! Grin
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »

Sounds and looks cool, if not a little ambitious. I'd play this. Coffee

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

It's not like expecting to finish this in a week.

Lo
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »

major update to the walk

Lo
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05:40 AM »

Okay, nearly all the sprites on the first post have been updated. The walk w/ hammer still needs some stuff done to it though.

Lo
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »

I like this concept. As an idea, maybe you could summon hammer-based vehicles? Like a Hammer-Car or Hammer-Copter?

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

I don't think the name Mjolnir fits, mostly because of the size of your hammer.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Eitri then puts iron in the forge and tells Brokkr to never stop blowing. Loki comes again and bites Brokkr on the eyelid much harder than before and the blood makes him stop blowing for a short while. When Eitri comes and takes out Mjöllnir, the handle is a bit short (making it one handed).

Quote from: Wikipedia
... would be able to strike as firmly as he wanted, whatever his aim, and the hammer would never fail, and if he threw it at something, it would never miss and never fly so far from his hand that it would not find its way back, and when he wanted, it would be so small that it could be carried inside his tunic.

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »

But doesn't the last sentence imply that it can change size?
Bood_war-... what?

Lo
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »

Meh, I don't know  Shrug YOu mention being able to summon the hammer so maybe you could summon it and use it as a transport? I HAVE TURRETS!!!!

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »

But doesn't the last sentence imply that it can change size?

The mythological Mjöllnir is small for a hammer to begin with, and then he shrinks it. Imagine having a weapon that can strike as hard as you want regardless of size, why would you want it so big that it hinders movement when you can make it a size you can easily wield with one hand? In addition, it's a throwable weapon of infinite power which automatically returns to the owner. Why rid yourself of that advantage?

If you want to make the name fit the mythological Mjöllnir, I think you need to make some changes. If you really want to stick with it, I'm sure you can make it into a story about a military project by that name, or something similar, meant to produce a really powerful weapon.

In any case, a story doesn't have to be complicated, but it should be there to help you create something consistent without running out of ideas halfway through. I'm just saying that because it sounds like you have an ambitious project in mind, and I think planning ahead will be crucial to a project of that scope.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »

Before saying anything else I have to ask this: What exactly are the sandbox elements of this game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »

Arachne- It wasn't meant to be particularly story based, but the gist of it was that thor drops his hammer during a big epic fight, it lands on earth near our hero. He finds himself able to wield it, albeit with some difficulty, then you can do whatever (that answers your question GSF). There will be a time when you're able to change the size, but you're slowly gaining Thor powers, so for most of the game you're stuck with the size you get it at.

Also if I got rid of it it would remove the whole puzzle aspect of putting down your hammer because you can't jump or run quickly with it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:48:38 PM by Tuna Unleashed » Logged

Lo
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

Well I actually meant things like: Are you in one big sidescrolling city? (you know with cops and gangsters?) What's the sandbox mission structure? (Do you go to cops and gangs places in the city? Do you do missions with the sandbox city? Is there even a city? lol)

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »

You pretty much just described it perfectly, except there will be several more factions.

Lo
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic