Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:07:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeBullet Hell games.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Bullet Hell games.  (Read 4575 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »

Does anyone remember a  PC bullet hell game, I think it had "Raptor" and lots of purple bullets. It had SNES graphics and what was fun was the absolute bullet-hell, there were just tons of bullets to dodge.

Mechanically, rRootage takes 4 popular bullet-hell mechanics (Lasers + Bombs, Ikaruga, Bullet "grazing (a close dodge)" to build up super meter") & one more..  and gives you dozens of levels in each mechanic. http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/games/

ABA also created BulletML, a Bullet markup language for describing Bullet patterns. There's a unity asset store BulletML scripter somewhere, too.

A trick a number of SHMUPs use is to make the player's hurtbox smaller than their actual drawing so the player can dodge better. Some games show the actual hitbox as a rectangle in the middle of the ship.

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »

Does anyone remember a  PC bullet hell game, I think it had "Raptor" and lots of purple bullets. It had SNES graphics and what was fun was the absolute bullet-hell, there were just tons of bullets to dodge.

Are you talking about the DOS era Apogee game, Raptor: Call of the Shadows? Because that game was an absolute BLAST.
Willy Elektrix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »

Mechanically, rRootage takes 4 popular bullet-hell mechanics (Lasers + Bombs, Ikaruga, Bullet "grazing (a close dodge)" to build up super meter") & one more..  and gives you dozens of levels in each mechanic. http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/games/

rRootage does offer a TON of variety with its different play modes. However, I love Noiz2sa from the same developer. Instead of geometric patterns of bullets, the enemies unleash a chaotic storm of bullets. The game gets slower and slower the more bullets are on screen. When you destroy an enemy, it clears all the bullets around them, which is frequently necessary considering how many bullets are on screen.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »

Are you talking about the DOS era Apogee game, Raptor: Call of the Shadows? Because that game was an absolute BLAST.

Yes, thank you!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic