Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:57:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJim: The Apartment RPG - Fight Your Memories!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Jim: The Apartment RPG - Fight Your Memories!  (Read 9814 times)
da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »

Wow i love the concept. Will follow Gomez

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »

You guys have some really interesting ideas here.

Any of you familiar with the old "anti-humor" comic strip Jim's Journal?

(looks like they have some reboot of the strip going on now, but the classic run is the one that you've reminded me of)

I'm wondering if the setting here is a mundane world considered in new ways, like that comic, or a mundane world twisted into something bizarro and unique, like Earthbound. Both approaches could work but its not clear which you're going to take here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:56:46 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

Tanner sticks the pen up his nose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Wow i love the concept. Will follow Gomez

Thanks so much, I'll be following your project closely as well, I can't get over how rad your visual direction is!

You guys have some really interesting ideas here.

Any of you familiar with the old "anti-humor" comic strip Jim's Journal?

(looks like they have some reboot of the strip going on now, but the classic run is the one that you've reminded me of)

I'm wondering if the setting here is a mundane world considered in new ways, like that comic, or a mundane world twisted into something bizarro and unique, like Earthbound. Both approaches could work but its not clear which you're going to take here.

Thank you! And no, this is the first time I've ever seen this comic, but it looks right up my alley haha

I suppose the best answer to your question would be a combination of both. Moreso a mundane world considered in a different fashion than usual, but with tinges of things outside the norm that are, if anything, just a result of Jim's fantasy of what he sees around him. Growing up (and still even now) there are seemingly normal interactions I have with everyday things that I often elevate to a level of fantasy in my own mind, as a result of my own overactive imagination. Scenarios that play out in my head that seem humorous or noteworthy that could never happen in real life, but are compelling to me as drifting thoughts. You'll see plenty of these types of things throughout the game, but the key idea here I suppose is understanding that Jim's impression of seemingly realistic scenarios and ones that feel slightly out of place in a "normal" world still exist on the same plane of face-value understanding for him.

Hope that concept is making better sense, thanks for asking!

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
Handwiches
Level 0

Handwiches, not Hand Witches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 07:26:21 AM »

I just want to add onto what Tanner mentioned. Ultimately, I think whether or not Jim's world is truly fantastical or mundane should be pretty open to the player's interpretation. Memories don't always manifest in the way they actually happened. Smiley

I'll be back here later today to probably post some experimental shaders we're considering for different memories.  Coffee

Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 08:47:16 PM »

Hey gang, got some great news! This isn't directly related to the Jim RPG, but I wanted to let everyone know that the "This Is Jim" book is now finished and
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON GUMROAD!

The book will have a few tie-ins with the game, but for the most part is completely its own separate entity.

The book is $8 normally, but if you enter the promo code fruitfly you can get it for just $5! If anyone's interested in purchasing, it'd be highly appreciated Smiley

Also, just so this is still officially considered a game dev post, here's a skeleton after taking a whollop from Jim's meaty fists!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:05:47 PM by Tanner Fruit Fly » Logged

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
pixelgriffin
Level 0

Developing With Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »

I was so sure at first when he tried to attack he just missed and hurt himself haha, really like the weirdly cynical style

Twitter: @pixelgriffin
shellbot
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:18 AM »

Following because skeleton
Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »

Haha, I really love how this looks, the art especially. Best of luck on this  Coffee

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »

Hey everybody, it's been a while! No worries, we're still here!

We've been real busy getting things in order for our next phase of development, which was brought to a short halt due to academic responsibilities on my part with college graduation and such. We're back to working on the good stuff though!

We recently had a playtesting session of a working demo with a group of about 30 different people who gave us some awesome feedback on what needed to be tweaked on the game, such as Jim's tripping attack animation confusing people into thinking he was the only one taking damage, and the manner in which Jim reappears in the apartment after finishing a memory. We got a super strong positive response to the game so far overall, and we got some terrific feedback on what needed to be adjusted. Needless to say, things went super well.

This playtesting event was a pretty inclusive thing which is why we haven't put any playable builds of the game up online yet, but our plan is to get a crowdfunding campaign going on Kickstarter in the next month or so with an updated demo to play, which we'll give you guys the link to download as soon as it's ready.

In other cool news, we recently added a fourth member to our team to take on the role of lead programmer, and we're super excited to have him on board helping us with the construction of the game. We've got lots of ideas we're planning on incorporating into this project that haven't been integrated yet, but will definitely be showing up as we move into full development.

We're still doing some tweaking for the Kickstarter release demo, but we'll be making new posts as we get more presentable material for you guys. As always, thanks for the support!

really like the weirdly cynical style

Following because skeleton

Haha, I really love how this looks, the art especially. Best of luck on this  Coffee

Thanks a bundle you guys! Hope to see ya around for future updates. Cheers!  Gentleman

Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

(( follow post ))

Following because yes. Good luck!

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »

That spider has a gun...

Subscribed! Love the awkward punches too!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic