Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:06:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Tainted Mob (previously Mages'n'Peasants)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The Tainted Mob (previously Mages'n'Peasants)  (Read 23284 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »

Hey!

Let's talk about what The Tainted Mob (previously called Mages'n'Peasants) is about.

"As people go missing, they turn malformed and twisted. Eventually the Tainted begin forming into groups and raiding the good folk. The problem soon gets out of hand, and several villages fall prey to wretched creatures, scarcely resembling the people they once were.

The remaining settlements eventually realize that they were abandoned by the Duke, who had to turn his attention towards preserving the capital. Sentenced to die, they decide to arm themselves and stand their ground against The Tainted Mob.
"

That's the story background. Here are the key things you'll do:

1. Raise buildings and fortify your village

You can build structures which provide food for your soldiers, or let you recruit them, or research upgrades. Fortifications include gates, archer towers and traps.

2. Extract minerals

You'll need to get to other nearby islands to mine for iron, which is essential in further upgrading your units.

3. Survive in the dark

During the night, the Tainted attack your settlement. Each night brings stronger enemies.

4*. Quest for artifacts (I hope to add it)

Through exploring other islands, you get to fight it's inhabitants and collect "artifacts". These items can be stored in the cathedral (a building you can build), and provide a passive boost to your units.

That's the premise of the game. Here's what I got around to implementing (the GIFs are pretty big so please be patient with them loading Shrug):

Lumberjack

This guy chops down trees for wood. As you can see, I held true to my promise and used a placeholder for his hut. It's slowly starting to bug me as I add more of these placeholders, though. It's hard to dissuade what's what.

Hunter

This guy provides food by hunting animals. Not very reliable, but cheap and fast to build.

Archer (and first Tainted enemy)

Archer is the weakest range unit available to recruit.

2nd building layer & grid building

Building structures is now constrainted by a grid. And you can have buildings in the background (the 2nd layer), to allow for more stuff to be built.

I've set up a website!

The website is available at taintedmob.com. There's a newsletter there, so sign up to that if you'd like to be notified via email when the game's out Smiley

Peace out, brothas

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »

Hey guys! Time for a quick update.

As I was saying earlier, the world is made up of several islands. You start on one of them, and gradually explore the others. Exploration can yield extra resources. Sometimes you'll stumble upon a deposit of stone, iron or divine metal if you're lucky. These minerals, if harvested, let you build better structures and recruit better units.

To get to another island, you'll want a boat. These can be built in the Docks, in exchange for some wood and gold. I've added two types of boats: ship and dinghy.

The difference between those two is of course cost, but also how many soldiers one can carry. Once you have one of these, you can pack it with some soldiers, and sail away.

The map is, like the rest of the world, procedurally generated - I use several small hand drawn islands and pseudo-randomly place them on the map.

Here's how a packed ship looks like sailing: CLICK.

That's it for this devlog! See you in the next one!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2018, 09:15:25 PM »

love the gifs from this game, how's it coming along?

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »

College and work had me step on the brakes. I'm writing my engineer's thesis, which takes the strength left in me after a day of work Tongue I'll have the thesis be done in a month, up to two, and I'll get back to working on the game again (I'll keep posting here, too)!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic