Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:36:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSynchro
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Synchro  (Read 3031 times)
willthoven
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »

A unique blend of arcade and action, with a hacking theme as the icing on the cake. Beef up your "computer" to try and achieve the highest scores on the entire planet through the online highscore tables! The point of the game is to just destroy as many enemies as possible, passing through as many waves as possible in the shortest amount of time as possible. Featuring some secret codes, you'll be able to use these to unlock some interesting additions to the game.

Trailer.
There's a trailer available on YouTube if you care to watch it:

Screenshots.

Screenshot B
Screenshot C

Information.
  • Made with GM 7.0 Pro
  • Please report any bugs!
  • Can be executed in windowed mode, or full screen (800 x 600 resolution)
  • For more information, check out my website: willgoss.com
Features.
  • Special Add-ons
  • Semi-boss enemies
  • Upgrades
  • Perk Store
  • Online Highscore Table
  • Variety of enemies
  • Unique graphics
  • Original score
Download.
Tell me what you think, and please enjoy Smiley
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:01:09 AM by whgoss » Logged

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:28:50 AM »

You should have provided a download link in your post in the Feedback forums, so you could have made more improvements on Synchro before making posting it in the Announcements. However, since you didn't, here is my feedback.

I like how the memory is saved up for future upgrading, and the gameplay felt much better after a couple of upgrades (it started off more sluggish than I liked). However, after the first several levels, it is easy to mindlessly move along the parameter while shooting inward, since many of the enemies fire in waves.

For some weird reason, I could gain energy while simply shooting at enemies. I think it has something to do with destroying enemies within a close proximity to the player's sphere, but I'm not completely sure how it works. I can get up to 140% around level 5 or 6 if I do it right.

With that said, why are there are no instructions for the game? Every game should at least have a readme or manual file available within its root directory or some in-game instructions to provide all the basic information about controls and how the game works. I still don't know how to get my perks to work, how to properly use the spacebar, nor what the "nukes" are. Also, where are the online highscores?

As for your post above, the Youtube link to the trailer says it isn't available for my country, and the Yoyo Games link needs to be fixed.

I liked the game enough to continue to bother with upgrading, but I've reached a point that I feel like all the extra memory I have accumulated so far will simply sit unused.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
willthoven
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:44:48 AM »

Hello there and thanks for trying the game!

You should have provided a download link in your post in the Feedback forums, so you could have made more improvements on Synchro before making posting it in the Announcements. However, since you didn't, here is my feedback.
I posted the game on quite a few forums, and unfortunately forgot to post it here until a week or so before the release date, in which I had already removed the demo from being downloaded. Oops!

For some weird reason, I could gain energy while simply shooting at enemies. I think it has something to do with destroying enemies within a close proximity to the player's sphere, but I'm not completely sure how it works. I can get up to 140% around level 5 or 6 if I do it right.
I'm not sure what you mean here. 140% of what? Hehe

With that said, why are there are no instructions for the game? Every game should at least have a readme or manual file available within its root directory or some in-game instructions to provide all the basic information about controls and how the game works. I still don't know how to get my perks to work, how to properly use the spacebar, nor what the "nukes" are. Also, where are the online highscores?
You're definitely right. I'll write up a readme and include it for download in the .zip file (and for solitary download for those who already have the game). As for using powerups, when you fill up your bar by killing enemies you press space to issue you a random powerup (nuke, double fire or health). The point of the game is to just destroy as many enemies as possible, passing through as many waves as possible in the shortest amount of time as possible. Finally, if you go to "Highscores" and hit "Submit" you submit your highest score for a single game.

I liked the game enough to continue to bother with upgrading, but I've reached a point that I feel like all the extra memory I have accumulated so far will simply sit unused.
There's quite a bit to buy, so for awhile it shouldn't go unused. But I supposed once you've maxed everything out then yeah, it will Smiley

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »

first of all the controls and the graphics are pretty good.
(but i think in the beginning the ship is way too slow. maybe add speed +1)

however...later when the ship has a decent speed and the fire rate is allright then its pretty fun to get some good chain combos.

anyways i have upgraded everything to the max level and purchased every perk.
but how do i use them???
furthermore is the power up randomly generated? in the upper screen there appears "health" or "nuke" after i have pressed space.

i think it is pretty much impossible to survive any longer than 3:50 min...
cause then the bulletts are everywhere and even with max speed you cannot dodge them.

moreover: a readme is needed as already said.

i think i found a bug:
when you start the first time you have to enter your name...name will be used for only one time. cause when you leave the game and start fresh your player name is by default player (without asking for an individual name...)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:22:03 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
willthoven
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:16 AM »

anyways i have upgraded everything to the max level and purchased every perk.
but how do i use them???
furthermore is the power up randomly generated? in the upper screen there appears "health" or "nuke" after i have pressed space.

i think it is pretty much impossible to survive any longer than 3:50 min...
cause then the bulletts are everywhere and even with max speed you cannot dodge them.

moreover: a readme is needed as already said.
Version 1.1 has been released that fixed all the bugs you mentioned, and it includes a readme.txt As for surviving longer than 3:50, it's definitely possible, just takes a bit of practice. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic