Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 03:54:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(ノ◠‿◠)ノ ♒✧✿ Generia ✿✧♒ (continued as GHOST MOUSE)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: (ノ◠‿◠)ノ ♒✧✿ Generia ✿✧♒ (continued as GHOST MOUSE)  (Read 7996 times)
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

Aspects from this game are now being developed under my newer project, GHOST MOUSE!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=55581

Images from latest builds, April 2016.

original mockup image, March 2016

[ Synopsis, updated 03-31-16 ]

Generia is my attempt to fill a hole I've had in my own gaming desires after sinking countless hours into Minecraft and Terraria.

There are so many changes / additions I want in both of those games but since my own gamedev abilities are limited I've been putting off creating the kind of open world / crafting / adventure game I'd like to see out there.

As a kid I always loved the open world feel of the original NES Legend of Zelda... that sense of adventure... how HUGE the world seemed even though it was technically small... how complicated the dungeons felt even though they were relatively simple.

After playing a few hours of Stardew Valley, it occurred to me that the 2D Zelda-like format might very well do well with my visions of what I'd like to see an open world / crafting / adventure game be.

So here we are!

I have many many many ideas already laid out to be worked on down the pipeline, but I'm going to keep that all under my hate for now as I move forward, since I know the project will evolve over time.

Make sure to check out the latest posts as I will be updating this often over the course of April and May of this year, 2016!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:53:11 AM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

TheGrandHero
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »

If that image is indicative of the actual game, I would personally suggest upping the game's resolution to something like 426×240. At 96 pixels high, any text elements on the screen are going pretty hard to read and the GUI is going to get crowded really fast. (Personally, I don't care for super-small fonts, but others like them, so to each their own I suppose.) I suppose i does make sense to put that off for now, though, so long as it's not too difficult to change things later on down the road if need be.

What sort of feel are you going for? Do you want something farming/community related Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, or Animal Crossing? Or something more along the lines of survival in a new environment like Minecraft or Terraria? Or something in between or completely different?

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »

If that image is indicative of the actual game, I would personally suggest upping the game's resolution to something like 426×240. At 96 pixels high, any text elements on the screen are going pretty hard to read and the GUI is going to get crowded really fast. (Personally, I don't care for super-small fonts, but others like them, so to each their own I suppose.) I suppose i does make sense to put that off for now, though, so long as it's not too difficult to change things later on down the road if need be.

What sort of feel are you going for? Do you want something farming/community related Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, or Animal Crossing? Or something more along the lines of survival in a new environment like Minecraft or Terraria? Or something in between or completely different?

Agreed on the resolution comments.  I'm definitely just experimenting with everything.

... and yeah, actually what got me really going with this is I started playing Stardew Valley and when I realized it wasn't as open world as Terraria / Minecraft, I knew I had to go forward with this experiment.

I'd like the game to have the relaxing element of Stardew, so like a starter safe zone, but the further out you go the more intense the world gets, kinda like Realm of the Mad God.

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »

This took me way longer than it should have.  Planning on having them gently sway in the breeze as well. :3
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:52:56 PM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »

Bushes sway.  Rustle more naturally when passing by them. :3
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:53:02 PM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

muppetWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:23:20 PM »

Nice stuff! What are you building it in? Are you doing everything (programming, art etc.) by yourself?

Le Loupgarou Dev Blog
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »

Nice stuff! What are you building it in? Are you doing everything (programming, art etc.) by yourself?

Thanks!

Construct 2, and yeah, it's all me. :3

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »

ohh this is looking nice already  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »

More polish.  Experimenting with magic. :3

ohh this is looking nice already  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:53:11 PM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 01:28:18 AM »

Really dig the grass wiggle and the cutting animation; I love the little touches that bring things to life.
Look forward to seeing this develop, doing everything by yourself is a difficult but rewarding challenge. Best of luck! Smiley

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »

Dummying up a GUI.

- - -

Also changed the WIP name from "Relax Zone" to "Generia".  Still not sure if that will be the final name, but I like it for now.  Based it on this SNES era RPG theme I busted out a month or two ago : https://soundcloud.com/deviever/generia

- - -

Really dig the grass wiggle and the cutting animation; I love the little touches that bring things to life.
Look forward to seeing this develop, doing everything by yourself is a difficult but rewarding challenge. Best of luck! Smiley

Thank you!!!! :D

One of my biggest goals with this is to make the world feel alive even with the limited resolution and colors. :3
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:46:50 AM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 02:32:26 AM »

for me personally low resolution feels oppresive and colors are too intense and contrast to be relaxing
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 02:42:21 AM »

I agree with the comment above, even though this is all stuff that can be fixed relatively easily imo

Also cool project, I hope to see more of this in the future!

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 04:18:28 AM »

The bush wiggle is awesome! Also digging that centaur type thingy from the GUI mockup Smiley

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »

for me personally low resolution feels oppresive and colors are too intense and contrast to be relaxing

Here I fixed it for you.

Also cool project, I hope to see more of this in the future!

Thanks! :D

The bush wiggle is awesome! Also digging that centaur type thingy from the GUI mockup Smiley

Thank you!   I really want the world to be as organic as possible! :D

The centaur is actually from when I was trying for a job at Duelyst.  Here's the full animation.

I'm probably going to have her in as an NPC or boss. modified a bit to not so much rip on the Duelyst sketch she was based on.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:47:11 AM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:31 AM »

gamedev goals for next month... at minimum

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 03:01:21 AM »

WIP title screen

- - -

also

A rousing high fantasy fanfare WIP main theme. :3

3 iterations.  Piano, NES, SNES.

https://soundcloud.com/deviever/033016-theme-three
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:47:18 AM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

TheAwesomeHNH
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 03:17:38 AM »

Lilian!
Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »

Very nice.  I love that title screen.  And you're doing the music too?  Wow, very talented!  Of the three I like the second version the best, the NES one.  Gives me a few Zelda vibes.  ZEL Link

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »

Very nice.  I love that title screen.  And you're doing the music too?  Wow, very talented!  Of the three I like the second version the best, the NES one.  Gives me a few Zelda vibes.  ZEL Link

Thanks! ... and yeah it's all me!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic