Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:57:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)2D Artist Critique my portfolio please
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Artist Critique my portfolio please  (Read 1232 times)
Purple_Draws
Level 0

Hi guys!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »

Hey all, I'm wondering what sections of my portfolio needs filling out. Any additional things I need? Also need critique on layout/readabilty of portfolio, so I'm posting my link directly, to my website rather than post a bunch of images.

http://www.rebeccamcconnell.com/video-games.html

Thanks for your critique, appreciate it!
bac9
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »

Hey there! First of all, great work in that portfolio - that speaks louder than anything else. I've got a couple of pointers on the website, though. Here is how it looks on my display:

2560x1440

And here is what I'd recommend to do:

2560x1440

Here is the list of changes on that image, in no particular order:

• Header image should be centered to work on any screen size properly
  • Header image should probably fade into solid color fills on the edges, to allow you to use a simple colored background to cover 3840px, 2560px or other screen widths nicely without any need for you to spend time drawing and spend money sending an enormous ultra-wide image - as you can see on the example, it's still the old art, with a simple background block behind it
  • Top level navigation needs some vertical spacing to let your logo breathe and to separate the buttons from it
  • Navigation button captions should ideally use a bit more smooth sans serif like Agora Sans (check Google Fonts documentation for a very simple way to import fonts into your website if you don't know how to) to avoid conflict with smooth and beautiful lines of the logo
  • Line weight of the navigation button labels should be a hair thicker, right now they are too thin, edging on an impression of a downscaled image with subpixel lines.
  • Curly braces around button labels look better with a separate, thicker line weight - that emphasizes that they are part of the style inherited from the logo, and not a part of the text
  • Your selection is best shown by a small selector image (e.g. arrow, or a white line eating a bit of navbar space under the selected button) and color change of the button of the selected page, not through use of another big header. Having a big "video games" header right under "video games" button is not really necessary.
  • I'd leverage the neat color palette of the header image for the navbar background, no need to keep it strictly grayscale unless you have pages where header image palette has extreme clashing with page content.
  • Subcategory navbar label font size should be identical to the main navbar font size, having a sub-element bigger than it's parent element throws the user off about the hierarchy of the pages and looks a bit unpolished
  • I'm using a bit different spacing between the letters to improve readability
  • Spacing between the curly braces/buttons should be completely identical everywhere. Imagine they are button images, with trim, edge highlights, outlines and such - it would look strange if margins would jump from single space to ten spaces like they do here, right? Same deal even if you have minimal text-only buttons, uniform element spacing is just pleasant to look at even if elements aren't images.
  • Separating the subcategory navbar from the content with a subtle element like an arrow and line here might be a good idea

I hope this helps!
Purple_Draws
Level 0

Hi guys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »

That you so much sir!(mam or whatever you prefer)

This is astoundingly helpful. I appreciate everything you've said! And the kind words. Cheers!  Beer!

Let me know if you ever want a critique.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »

I would get rid of the braces altogether but thats just me.  Otherwise there's some really good work in there.

Erikari
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:38 AM »

I agree with the others, art is cute! how about making a showreel (a video showing also the animations and implementations in game, if you did some)?

Hi I'm new! 2D animator and illustrator itch.iomy website
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic