Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:29:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLonely Star - action / corn / RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Lonely Star - action / corn / RPG  (Read 12674 times)
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »

I really love the audio and visuals, and over all this game looks like it has very good production standards. Any chance of a mac distribution coming sometime?

eh
Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »

Yeah! My Macbook is broken but as soon as I have money to repair or replace it I'm going to port the demo. Thanks for your interest and your patience.
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

Here's a small update, mostly just animations improved and graphical glitches fixed.

Old static image for "Electric Ancestor" character

New one Sad

It includes all the combat improvements from last week, of course. I'm not gonna add any new content to the demo from here on out, but I'll still update it to reflect changes in how the finished game will look and play.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7dea0xdwzwjkjgb/Lonely+Star+Level+2+Demo+1.075.zip

Enemies are a little more aggressive, but they move in a more natural way now-- no more sudden losses and gains of momentum-- and more importantly the player's dodge/jump attacks have a lot faster recovery, so you're not going to get punished for fighting back just as aggressively.
Gorgondantess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

I downloaded the demo a while back, and I absolutely loved it. The *feel* of the whole game is just wonderful - elements of Fallout 2, of Dark Souls, of the aforementioned Jodorowsky, but also very much its own unique creature. The game is, at its most superficial level, very ugly and clunky - but still manages to feel wonderful, and look amazing. This may well be the most promising indie game I've ever seen, and believe me, I don't make that kind of statement lightly.

A few questions, though:

-On your website it says that you have a Spring 2016 Kickstarter planned. Spring 2016 has come and gone, and I still don't see any way to give you my money. Smiley

-Judging by this thread, you seem pretty receptive to (and even looking for) criticism; I have a several pages of comments/notes written down (you could say I'm invested in this game), but I'd rather not send that kind of thing unsolicited. Would you be interested in hearing what I have to say? And if so, is there an email address I could reach you by? (And don't worry, I'll send you the condensed version).

-Okay, I've gotta give - I've gotten to the bottom of snake town, and I'm back to being a human, and I've got the fire magic, but for the life of me I can't find my way out of this place. I've spent hours! Please help. Beg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:40:25 PM by Gorgondantess » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 06:14:22 AM »

i love everything about this. i don't have anything to add but i'm definitely following it.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:11 AM »

i like the enemy that walks like the dentist from toejam and earl. good luck to you and your game
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »

i love everything about this. i don't have anything to add but i'm definitely following it.
I downloaded the demo a while back, and I absolutely loved it. The *feel* of the whole game is just wonderful - elements of Fallout 2, of Dark Souls, of the aforementioned Jodorowsky, but also very much its own unique creature. The game is, at its most superficial level, very ugly and clunky - but still manages to feel wonderful, and look amazing. This may well be the most promising indie game I've ever seen, and believe me, I don't make that kind of statement lightly.

A few questions, though:

-On your website it says that you have a Spring 2016 Kickstarter planned. Spring 2016 has come and gone, and I still don't see any way to give you my money. Smiley

-Judging by this thread, you seem pretty receptive to (and even looking for) criticism; I have a several pages of comments/notes written down (you could say I'm invested in this game), but I'd rather not send that kind of thing unsolicited. Would you be interested in hearing what I have to say? And if so, is there an email address I could reach you by? (And don't worry, I'll send you the condensed version).

-Okay, I've gotta give - I've gotten to the bottom of snake town, and I'm back to being a human, and I've got the fire magic, but for the life of me I can't find my way out of this place. I've spent hours! Please help. Beg

Thanks! Please send your criticism! Or just post it here. [email protected]

To get out of Snake Town-- [spoiler]counting down from the top, it's the second floor, on the far right. Get a running start to dive over the open shaft and keep going to the right til you see an ancient toilet you can jump down. I think there should be a glow coming from it? Dang maybe I forgot to implement that. You'll end up in the cave that connects to Universal Mine. Make sure you got the altar stone before you go (or the hoop; I changed it to an altar stone a couple revisions ago to tie in to something that'll happen later in the game)[/spoiler]

As for the Kickstarter yeah it's behind schedule-- I'm trying to build some more momentum with press and youtube streamers, but it's getting to the point where it's about ready I think. It's frustratingly hard to find data on what kind of following you need to make what kind of money, but maybe that's just because it's different for everyone...
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »

Oh there's no spoiler tags on this forum. Welp

i like the enemy that walks like the dentist from toejam and earl. good luck to you and your game

Thanks! I never played Toejam and Earl but it was always fascinating to me because it looked like a game about walking around a weird, awful world and doing nothing in particular
HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »

I made an account just to tell you how cool this game is, and I'm really looking forward to the completed game. I've always been into games like this, and this seems to most polished, actually. The soundtrack is amazing, and the game is overall pretty fucking tense.

10/10 would pour money into.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

owing to my long history of suggesting video games involving corn as a central theme or mechanic on this web site i fully support your efforts. triumph or die.
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »

I made an account just to tell you how cool this game is, and I'm really looking forward to the completed game. I've always been into games like this, and this seems to most polished, actually. The soundtrack is amazing, and the game is overall pretty fucking tense.

10/10 would pour money into.

Thank you! I've got some logistics to figure out first but you will get your chance soon

owing to my long history of suggesting video games involving corn as a central theme or mechanic on this web site i fully support your efforts. triumph or die.

I know, right? Corn in American history is sort of like souls in Dark Souls. Decided against the title "Dark Corn" early on though
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »

Mostly doing promotional work lately but I've also been catching up with all the little graphical errors / minor bugs that didn't affect much

Like the "spiderman" glitch for example is going to be gone in 1.08. It wasn't actually hard to fix after all this time, I'd just been psyching myself out trying to code things too elegantly when they needed to be airtight instead. Walk up ye walls while ye may
HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »

No problem. I'm just glad to see a genuinely interesting, unique game out there. Also jesus christ I am a snake and have no idea what I'm doing.

Are snakes always this confused?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 01:51:29 AM »

No problem. I'm just glad to see a genuinely interesting, unique game out there. Also jesus christ I am a snake and have no idea what I'm doing.

Are snakes always this confused?

HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 06:39:50 AM »

I. See. It all makes sense now.

I'm still utterly lost on this snake part though.
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »

Snakes are blessed with simpler goals than us

There's a couple ways to escape snake mode. Either you find the thing Moustapha sent you to find (in the latest update there's a picture of it in the "Quest Memory" section of the menu) or you find what is up with that mysterious ancient shrine that seems to be glowing in the dark near the center of the city. Remember you can enter the glowing holes in the ground with the E key, the same way you'd open a door.
HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »

Snakes are blessed with simpler goals than us

There's a couple ways to escape snake mode. Either you find the thing Moustapha sent you to find (in the latest update there's a picture of it in the "Quest Memory" section of the menu) or you find what is up with that mysterious ancient shrine that seems to be glowing in the dark near the center of the city. Remember you can enter the glowing holes in the ground with the E key, the same way you'd open a door.

Ah, I see. I'm having a really hard time finding the stone, for some reason. I feel like I've been to every location, but I don't remember seeing any white stone...this is probably just me being an idiot, but, I'll look again.

*Edit*

Yep! I was being stupid, it has been found. My snake days are over. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:18:46 PM by HollowHollowHollow » Logged
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

I'm glad you brought it up because I was checking to make sure I hadn't accidentally closed off a path or something and discovered a glitch where, if you kill a scorpion and don't eat it, all the other scorpions will start crawling over each other trying to cannibalize it and start popping off 60000 collision events per second.
Peace Soft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »

Here's some more of that soundtrack

"Tomorrow Never Comes" from the quest intro scene

"No More Fucking Life" from battles with the ogre-type enemies

"The Lonely Soul" from the file select menu / hidden "boss" room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ry_xZHKH8
HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »

I'm glad you brought it up because I was checking to make sure I hadn't accidentally closed off a path or something and discovered a glitch where, if you kill a scorpion and don't eat it, all the other scorpions will start crawling over each other trying to cannibalize it and start popping off 60000 collision events per second.

I actually noticed that, yeah.

Also, I streamed today for a while, among friends. About six people were there, they seemed pretty interested, and we had a good time. Even though half of it was me trying to get out of Snake Town, because I'm bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic