Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:12:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionDEADLINE EXTENDED ONE WEEK
Poll
Question: Should we ask to extend the deadline by 1 week to April 7th?
Yes, that would be helpful! - 67 (81.7%)
No, get your balls out of your purse and finish it on time! - 15 (18.3%)
Total Voters: 70

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: DEADLINE EXTENDED ONE WEEK  (Read 13442 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »

What with this compo being three dee and so many people dropping out, do you think maybe it would make sense to ask to extend the deadline by a week?

This is kind of selfish of me to suggest as I am also running late with my stuff due to some nasty computer problems, but I thought maybe we all could use an extra week to polish the entries.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:17:36 PM by Derek » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »

That would be great.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »

If the deadline is extended, I'll enter.  There's a game I think I can shoehorn, and I've lost momentum recently, so it'd be great.

Anyway, extending deadlines is a great idea Smiley
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »

i was hoping someone would suggest this!  Beer!

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »

A week ago, I would have immediately voted "yes".

Now that I'm actually confident that I can get a halfassed game out in time. Every developer would like "a little more time", because there's always something to add or polish. So honestly, I'm conflicted, but it's selfish of me to vote in interest of just my game. I'm voting towards granting a week extension, no more.

Honestly, I think the dropout games (don't mean that term in a derogatory sense, of course) are going to stay dropped-out. I have no idea how far along those people have gotten, but I wouldn't think a week would be enough for them to push through and finish the game, a lot of them seem to be dead in the water, or the dropout was caused by real-life events. I am sure I'm biased by my own game, which has vast amounts of tiny little details that are required for the gameplay to be complete.

The best argument for extending the deadline is that 3D is harder than 2D, even simple 3D, so some extra time is really par for the course. The theme strongly encourages people to make first-person games, which complicates the underlying math even more (compare mouse-picking objects in 2D versus 3D... AABB collide versus complex ray scene queries). Also, all the late-comers will be a lot happier and fill up the void left by the dropouts.

My girlfriend will be pissed.  Tiggros before 'hos, amirite? Tiger

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »

I'm not actually making anything for this compo unfortunately (because I have that noir project I'm still working on very slowly), but I'm voting yes, because not only do I hope for some of these awesome entries to be finished so that I can play them, but also, I don't know about everyone else, but I've found this month to be a little distracting with the GDC and of course the news from IGF, so I think there's a logical reason for extending the deadline.

That was one long statement I just typed out...

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »

I voted YES. I completely shrugged off making or asking for any music, so my game would be completely silent (Except SFX). I also need to make 5 more worlds in my game... but I'm going to work as hard as if the deadline were still coming and not take this week for granted, because then I'd just be rushed anyway and we cant be totally sure this will happen anyway.  Shrug

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »

Extending a TIG comp deadline? how unprecedented!

I'm getting pretty pooped out working on my entry and kind of want this thing to end. But I'll vote yes, if only to see if Fuzz can be responsible for > 50% of the submitted games.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »

another week would be a godsend

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »

agreed, I was going to enter, but havent found the time and now the wife is out of town, so i ahve plenty of free time. i am going to try and enter anywyas at least get a tech demo together, but it will be much more polished if i had the extra week.

Fuzz
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »

Extending a TIG comp deadline? how unprecedented!

I'm getting pretty pooped out working on my entry and kind of want this thing to end. But I'll vote yes, if only to see if Fuzz can be responsible for > 50% of the submitted games.

I'll try to make at least twenty games for A Cockpit Game a Day! :D
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

I had something in mind for this, but didn't have the time to put anything together this month. I'd love it if the contest was extended Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »

I have yet to see a compo without an extension
That said, an additional week would make it possible for me to deliver a demo of a masterpiece upon you all little wagging bitches my good fellows.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »

I won't need an extension for my own poopy little game but I don't have any problem with an extension for everyone else. So I didn't vote at all.

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

While an extension would be greatly appreciated (I'm involved in a project that's being deployed on April 1st at work, and that has eaten into my anticipated development time considerably) I do have to say that I think think it's amusing that we generally don't ever have compos that finish on time.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

We need to attach a unit of time to our compo name, like "TIGMonth" or "TIGMoon" (one month is about the time it takes for the moon to go from new to full to new) or something. That way, we feel an urge to stick to it, like Pyweek, 7 Day Roguelike, or LD48. Wizard

Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »

There seems to be an overwhelming majority wanting an extension, but how exactly would an extension happen? Does someone need to PM Derek?
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »

I would guess, seeing as he's the guy who made the original post with the dates.

Fuzz
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »

I would guess, seeing as he's the guy who made the original post with the dates.
Well, he runs Tigsource and the forums and all that.

EDIT: Just PM'd Derek.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:42:25 AM by Fuzz » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »

Sure, an extension sounds good!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: