Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:48:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeShowing Prototypes?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Showing Prototypes?  (Read 834 times)
Perrako
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »

I'm just now diving into the full-time world of Indie Dev, and I'm focused on building up a folder of prototypes to sharpen my design skills a bit. What's a good way/place to log progress and get feedback on these? It's all programer art for now with on window dressing/UI, so itch.io doesn't seem the right place. It's not consistently one game, so I don't know if the Dev Logs area is a good place to put it.

Any other game programmers have the same concern? I'd love to be able to talk about what I'm making with people who share similar context.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:01 AM »

Best people to show early prototypes are other developers IMO, they are mostly aware of the "earliness" of your game and won't judge you by the art or anything like that like other people would. So.. I'm guessing here? Maybe we should have a thread for prototypes...

I have a similar concern, I started making a game a while ago and it still has only programmer art so I don't feel like showing it yet, been only getting feedback from close developer friends.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »

The playtesting forum here is pretty good. People will only criticize what you ask them to. More than once I stated "ignore X and Y, but consider Z" and people read it.

I guess where you put the game doesn't really matter at the end. Just make sure the right people or community (like TIG, for example) has access to it and you have access to their feedbacks. A lot of people share dropbox links. I have a few prototypes on gamejolt and I got great feedback from this forum. I don't really mind the passers on that site that play those games and criticize their quality, completely missing the point of a prototype. And there are few of them too, I guess the huge disclaimers about the status of the games helps.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic