Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:52:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCoded Universe - The Rulebreaking Combat RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Coded Universe - The Rulebreaking Combat RPG  (Read 14134 times)
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:48 PM »

I was just wondering if people are fine with the fact that Coded Universe will not have an overworld, and that it is level-based. The game is primarily cutscenes and turn-based battles with a bit of customization here and there.

The game will have a story that is focused on a group of three characters: Kleeg the impatient ninja punk, Cyu the chill and sarcastic yet clumsy brawler, and Batch the stern and grumpy hoverboarder. You learn more about each character and their backstories as the game progresses.

BeTeslohan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »

Keep up the good work, I am a fan of turn-based RPGs, especially interactive ones, and work like this makes me grin ear-to-ear.
: )

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »

Milestone reached, and with a milestone comes a brand new prototype! It contains all encounters in Chapter 1!

Prototype 2 Download: http://gamejolt.com/games/coded-universe-prototype/150223

No cutscenes yet, but we are getting there. We also already started work on the Chapter 2 encounters. Once we have a prototype with the official graphics and music in that goes all the way to the midboss of Chapter 2, we will look into getting a kickstarter ready.

Leave feedback here, in the comments section on the GameJolt page, or in the prototype topic: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56007.0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:40:28 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »

I decided to merge all prototypes on GameJolt onto a single page in order to make things a little easier to keep track of. You can find them all on this page: http://gamejolt.com/games/coded-universe-prototype/150223

mischa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »

temporary menu + logo. what do you think?
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »

I don't think that I ever clarified the other team members commenting on this thread.

mischa is one of our artists. RayRay26 is the engine developer. Say hi!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 05:24:52 AM »

Behold, the complete town background!

And no, I am not sorry about the signs. It had to be done.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »

I haven't posted in a while, so here is a work-in-progress gif of Batch, the third party member.

He will be under active development this week. So far we just have his basic attack going.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »

Official art for some melee weapons!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »

Kleeg is on a stroll!

Mischa has been practicing animating with Spine.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »

The starting area in the game!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 12:58:01 PM »

Prototype 3 will still look MS Paint drawn, but this is what is to come afterwards:

mischa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 04:54:33 AM »

Graphic updates JULY  Panda  Panda  Panda
wip of the forest background

I've been animating Rik's art in Spine. I'm still new to the program and animating in general so feedback is welcome ^_^
shuriken throw
breathe
body protect
  see more here
Meanwhile there's a new costume being developed for Cyu. It's a little different Wink
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:05:38 AM by mischa » Logged
mischa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

Some more work from our artists!

Be honest. what do you think about her looks?

Crystal Forest:
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »

VIDEO UPDATE: PYTHON GANG BOSS (VERY EARLY FOOTAGE, EVERYTHING SUBJECT TO CHANGE, GRAPHICS AND MUSIC ARE PLACEHOLDERS)

New animations (WiP):

Minor UI Update:

Color Coded Text:

Submenus:

Basic Particles:

Current progress On prototype 3: It's getting there. This one has been taking a long time due to major code and logic reworkings.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »

Here is a hack that you obtain in Chapter 2.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »

Python Gang
A group of stubborn teenage thieves. You will encounter them a few times throughout the game. Their various abilities and teamwork almost make up for them being overall weak.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »

We have decided that we are not happy with the current way that the dodge block system works, since it feels limited to work with and not really intuitive.

We have been discussing for a new way to deal with enemy attacks, and came up with this: During an enemy's attack, you can dodge in 4 different directions (forward, back, left, right), and can punch. You can also punch mid-dodge to punch in a different position. Because this would mean that it takes 5 buttons to control one character, you will no longer control all characters at once with their own assigned buttons. Instead, the punch and dodge buttons will be mapped to any characters that are currently marked, the mark being automatically applied based on who is being targeted by the enemy. This also means that the question during dealing with enemy attacks is no longer "who is being attacked?" but "how is he being attacked?"

This change would also mean changing a lot of enemy attacks to work with this new system, but we think it would be worth it on order to make the battle system more intuitive. This system could also help make this game stand more on its own rather than being a Mario & Luigi clone.

What do you guys think of this proposal for a new "dealing with enemy attacks" system?

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »

Hey guys, we are doing a 3 day game jam to make a mini version of Coded Universe, to quickly test ideas and improve team collaboration (since we have been in the prototyping phase for a year now, something needs to change).

We are streaming the whole thing. You can watch here:
https://www.twitch.tv/arayultimate1

Things we are testing are a brand new dodge system, and improvements to the strategy component of the battle system. We may also do a few other things.

We are also finding some issues on why it has been taking too long to develop this game. One thing that I have immediately noticed is that we focused on adding more enemies when we haven't even finished half of the combat system yet. It was good for testing the dodge system in different situations, but we need to focus on the core gameplay before content.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 12:35:12 AM »

Halfway point of jam!

So far, we like the new dodging system a lot more in this version compared to the older one, and makes a lot more sense. We are now experimenting with the game's strategy component. After this jam we will take what we learned from it and implement into the larger Unity version.

We also think that we will do more of these prototype game jams, since it lets us quickly test new ideas in isolation before we decide whether or not to code them in officially.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic