Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:55:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsPush & Pull - the art of guiding players through an environment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Push & Pull - the art of guiding players through an environment  (Read 913 times)
Corwin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »

Hey TIG,

I find it hard to find time in my busy life to work on my indie project, so to do something constructive I've written an article about guiding a player through a 3D environment. It's quite focused on single-player (I have more limited experience with MP) and mostly useful for modern AAA development but tackles enough high-level points that it can hopefully still help/inform people working on crazy out-of-the-box projects around here.

Push & Pull - The art of guiding players through an environment

1. Introduction
2. Facilitate mental mapping
3. Influence via composition
4. Lure with affordance
5. Drive with goals & narrative
6. Communicate through a language
7. Direct with restrictions & cameras
8. Show with UI elements & cut-scenes
9. Conclusion

Of course, feedback would be very much welcome! Smiley
MattEbbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »

Hi Corwin,

Thanks a lot for posting this tutorial, I found it very helpful. Me and my friend recently made the lead from 2d to 3d and I've been scratching my head over a lot of the concepts you went over, so I'll be returning to this frequently concerning how to maintain ideal composition and camera movement in a 3d environment. Really appreciate it!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic