Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:49:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat scares you the most?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: What scares you the most?  (Read 4964 times)
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »

So I've been working on a survival horror/puzzle game and I feel like collecting data on what scares people would be very helpful. I'm not scared by hardly anything aside from a majority of steam users and under-cooked pizza, so going based off of what I'm scared of probably wouldn't be too helpful.

Also I'd like to add that there won't be jump scares because I absolutely HATE that.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »

I don't think people will be honest about what scares them the most.

that said

We're afraid of things we understand the least that have some power over us. As a bunny, I'm afraid of almost everything. I'll still let my curiosity get the best of me if I haven't really experienced any true fear recently.  Our brains work in mysterious, somewhat arbitrary ways.
Evilperson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »

Approx. 1/3 of the world's population is afraid of spiders and another third is afraid of snakes.
If you wanna be original, I recommend using Trypophobia in your game, as studies show that Trypophobia is present in 80% people.

There really is no universally scary theme, and everyone is different. FNaF for example, most people(including children) aren't scared of, which is why it succeeded so much. However, I cannot stand it.

Sooo... snake spiders with millions of tiny holes in their flesh? Now I really wish I hadn't pictured that in my head. Personally, as my greatest fear, I was going to say 'not leaving a mark on this world' or some abstract stuff like that, but now that I got 'snake spiders with millions of tiny holes in their flesh' in my head I think I'll go for that one.

Another fear that I have that only really occurs in my nightmares, is lack of control, powerlessness, trying really hard to prevent something and failing. Kind of like Final Destination, from what I've heard.

Yeah, I hope that gave you some ideas.

FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »

Approx. 1/3 of the world's population is afraid of spiders and another third is afraid of snakes.
If you wanna be original, I recommend using Trypophobia in your game, as studies show that Trypophobia is present in 80% people.

There really is no universally scary theme, and everyone is different. FNaF for example, most people(including children) aren't scared of, which is why it succeeded so much. However, I cannot stand it.

Sooo... snake spiders with millions of tiny holes in their flesh? Now I really wish I hadn't pictured that in my head. Personally, as my greatest fear, I was going to say 'not leaving a mark on this world' or some abstract stuff like that, but now that I got 'snake spiders with millions of tiny holes in their flesh' in my head I think I'll go for that one.

Another fear that I have that only really occurs in my nightmares, is lack of control, powerlessness, trying really hard to prevent something and failing. Kind of like Final Destination, from what I've heard.

Yeah, I hope that gave you some ideas.

Oh my god, all those holes are really unsettling haha I could implement that to all of the enemies. As for the powerlessness I really like that idea. One thing missing from a lot of newer survival horror games is that sense of helplessness which is usually brought upon by very little ammo and lack of lighting. I'd like to mix early RE gameplay with SH atmosphere combined with controls that actually function haha I've done a bit of writing in the story already and basically what I did was read up on old creepy stories from Michigan towns, which we all know that Michigan has some pretty creepy history haha Seriously, all these ghost hunter shows are always in Michigan for some reason. Anyways thanks for the advice, hope you have a great day/night (Whatever time it is there!) I'll post about this again in the future.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »

Now I really wish I hadn't googled that word >.<
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »

Avoiding
old creepy stories from Michigan towns, which we all know that Michigan has some pretty creepy history haha Seriously, all these ghost hunter shows are always in Michigan for some reason.

I think that one important factor is the setting of your horror game (story). The thing with creepy histories related to a city is that oftenly it won't have the same effect to someone who don't live in the same environment.

I know that stories related to creepy old american houses, ghosts ,possession never really hit me, because i was unfamiliar to the setting, beliefs.

Using universal fears is the best bet. Mixing up Trypophobia with uncanny valley could be effective.
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:33:40 AM »

Avoiding
old creepy stories from Michigan towns, which we all know that Michigan has some pretty creepy history haha Seriously, all these ghost hunter shows are always in Michigan for some reason.

I think that one important factor is the setting of your horror game (story). The thing with creepy histories related to a city is that oftenly it won't have the same effect to someone who don't live in the same environment.

I know that stories related to creepy old american houses, ghosts ,possession never really hit me, because i was unfamiliar to the setting, beliefs.

Using universal fears is the best bet. Mixing up Trypophobia with uncanny valley could be effective.

I eventually decided on going with an abandoned catholic orphanage for the setting mainly because nuns creep me out for some reason. Nuns with tiny holes in their skin... Now that's something I don't want to see. haha

Pfotegeist
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:32:38 AM »

there's a clear driving force of onomatophobia in most social circles intended to cultivate anger. Just the fact that this exists means there are things you probably can't use that would absolutely scare someone, for social acceptance and other reasons.

addition: so. uh. you could reuse this idea and invent a bad guy, by introducing him as he whose name must not be spoken. Or you could talk about jumping rope like it's the worst thing anyone could possibly do, and have jump-ropes a symbol of pure evil. It's all about plot. Oh right, and then later you say the name Kililiwawa and have everyone's behavior will sync in the most disturbing way. They pull out their jump ropes and try to get to 100 first even though this means a few of them fall down.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:40:23 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Evilperson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:45:49 AM »

Another thing you can add that I just remembered, and instantly regretted remembering are...

Harlequin Babies.

Google at your own risk.
More repulsive than Trypophobia images, IMO.
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

Another thing you can add that I just remembered, and instantly regretted remembering are...

Harlequin Babies.

Google at your own risk.
More repulsive than Trypophobia images, IMO.

Oh god, that is horrifying. This is going to be very unsettling if I do this right haha

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »

The Binding Of Isaac has harlequin babies, but the game doesn't do them justice, which is ironic considering the nature of the game.

FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »

The Binding Of Isaac has harlequin babies, but the game doesn't do them justice, which is ironic considering the nature of the game.

That game was a disturbing masterpiece. I have no idea if it's possible to explain it any other way than that really haha.

mleta20
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »

I think what scares me the most in games is the music behind whatever is scaring you. Sure the monsters/thing scaring you will obviously scare players, but I always admired the build up. The music, the sounds, just the audio in general that sets the mood Smiley

Champlain College Senior. Lead Producer for the game, Super Sky Mech. Check us out on Twitter.

@SuperSkyMech
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

I think what scares me the most in games is the music behind whatever is scaring you. Sure the monsters/thing scaring you will obviously scare players, but I always admired the build up. The music, the sounds, just the audio in general that sets the mood Smiley

I completely agree. All the time I spent listening to Black Sheep Wall and playing guitar is finally going to pay off haha

mleta20
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »

I completely agree. All the time I spent listening to Black Sheep Wall and playing guitar is finally going to pay off haha

Ouuuuu that sounds awesome!

Champlain College Senior. Lead Producer for the game, Super Sky Mech. Check us out on Twitter.

@SuperSkyMech
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »

Losing something I've worked for.

You're an MGS fan, I'm sure you can relate.

That could be hard or easy to implement into your game depending on the scope and mechanic.

But if the game lets you build something up or earn something that has meaning, and then keeps you on the edge of it being taken away from you? Genuinely terrifying.

I was more scared about crashing out of the iRacing Indy500 than I've ever been playing a horror game. Knowing that one mistake could put 3 months of aero and shock development in the trashcan with no chance of going back to a save point or even playing the "mission" again from the start.
Dara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:40 AM »

For me it is not seeing what is after you, creepy sound design and dark drone tracks.  Everyone is different though and what works for one person may not work on another.

Dara
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »

If I were to make a scary game now, I would base it around trypophobia. Not only on the monster designs but everything would subtly be uncomfortable, like tiny round windows at a far away house.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »

While 3d modeling an emu I accidently rendered a scary lit version of the head and discovered that my biggest fear is probably being locked in a dark shed with some territorial emus.

Unfortunately no game as far as I'm aware has tapped that fear but emus are pretty intimidating!

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »

You should go out in the world and be terrified by something. Otherwise, you really have no experiential fuel for your creativity. Its likely you'll jut compile a collage of meaningless tropes and disturbing imagery and that's no fun.

Go get chased by the neighborhood pitbull.

Take a peak inside a forbidden building.

Then you can talk making a game that really scares people.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic