Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:31:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat scares you the most?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What scares you the most?  (Read 4942 times)
OccamsRazor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »

The things that scare me the most are long, drawn out ways of dying. Things like drowning, being caught in a fire and being buried alive freak my out way more than, say, being shot.

I think it's the idea of powerlessness. Of knowing exactly what is happening and what the result is, but feeling powerless to do anything about it.

How one works that effectively into a game...I haven't the slightest idea.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »

Worked pretty well in the drowning simulator Sortie En Mer  an interactive short movie, but i wonder if there's an efficient way to put into a real game.

FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »

You should go out in the world and be terrified by something. Otherwise, you really have no experiential fuel for your creativity. Its likely you'll jut compile a collage of meaningless tropes and disturbing imagery and that's no fun.

Go get chased by the neighborhood pitbull.

Take a peak inside a forbidden building.

Then you can talk making a game that really scares people.

I've actually been booking trips to go to supposedly haunted places over the summer to get some ideas and I don't scare easily so I feel like if I find something scary it'll be pretty terrifying haha

{del}
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »

I'm scared of Public Speaking.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »

You should go out in the world and be terrified by something. Otherwise, you really have no experiential fuel for your creativity. Its likely you'll jut compile a collage of meaningless tropes and disturbing imagery and that's no fun.

Go get chased by the neighborhood pitbull.

Take a peak inside a forbidden building.

Then you can talk making a game that really scares people.

I've actually been booking trips to go to supposedly haunted places over the summer to get some ideas and I don't scare easily so I feel like if I find something scary it'll be pretty terrifying haha

Cut all your ties with your loved ones, live on the streets and learn the true meaning of loneliness, sadness and desperation. Or maybe don't Tongue

Seriously though, visiting haunted places sounds like a good and fun idea. Learn the stories and folklore from the locals. That should be inspiring.

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »

The most terrifying experience I've ever had, and it was quite common when I was a kid, was was realizing I was dreaming and frantically attempting to wake myself up. I was terrified that I'd be stuck in sleep forever.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »

The most terrifying experience I've ever had, and it was quite common when I was a kid, was was realizing I was dreaming and frantically attempting to wake myself up. I was terrified that I'd be stuck in sleep forever.
This has happened to me basically every time I've attempted lucid dreaming, and for a long period after I stopped doing it willingly, this still kept happening on its own from time to time. It really is difficult to get back up, so I know the feeling. Strained my jaw once while trying to get back up once. Hurt for days after that. I usually had to get out of bed, because if I tried going back to sleep I just fell right back into it. No idea how I would try to convey this experience in a game, tho, because it's so physical too...

FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:58 AM »

This has happened to me basically every time I've attempted lucid dreaming, and for a long period after I stopped doing it willingly, this still kept happening on its own from time to time. It really is difficult to get back up, so I know the feeling. Strained my jaw once while trying to get back up once. Hurt for days after that. I usually had to get out of bed, because if I tried going back to sleep I just fell right back into it. No idea how I would try to convey this experience in a game, tho, because it's so physical too...

I've had this happen to me once, in the dream I thought I couldn't breathe and when I woke up I was laying on my face. Twas quite the scary experience.

Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »

Needles! Hypodermic needles. Nothing else really scares me but man... needles.

I'm panicly afraid of needles to the point that when I watch a movie/tv where someone is getting some injection I cover the needle part with my hand in the air. It's not easy to take a blood test with that phobia.

There was this scene in one of the Saw movie where there was a hole filled with needled syringes and someone had to jump in. Terrifying...

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

THIS... IS... AWESOME! I must train for lucid dreaming now.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »

Once, someone told me "the only thing to fear is fear itself", which I took to heart and hence developed phobophobia.

Also humans.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
MisterDeluxia
Level 0

No.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »

To be honest once i had a bad dream that Guy Fierri(rip name) was chasing me at night with his smile and doing that wierd revesed gif of him eating a noodle...

I would put a signature but i dont have a pen...
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »

To be honest once i had a bad dream that Guy Fierri(rip name) was chasing me at night with his smile and doing that wierd revesed gif of him eating a noodle...
Some
BODY
once told me

MisterDeluxia
Level 0

No.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »

"All Star"

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow

[Chorus:]
Hey, now, you're an All Star, get your game on, go play
Hey, now, you're a Rock Star, get the show on, get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now wait 'til you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture

The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire. How about yours?
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored.

[Chorus 2x]

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep, what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

[Chorus]

And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

your very welcome

I would put a signature but i dont have a pen...
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/mouth-sounds

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »

This is the best thing I have eve

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »

For me, good horror taps into the truly uncomfortable truths about life, in a way that sticks with you. (I'm making a Lovecraftian game so I'll use Lovecraft as an example.) The scary thing about Lovecraft's fiction isn't the giant tentacled monster that can't be stopped. It's the idea that humans don't and never will fully understand the universe, that our place in it is a random and borrowed one, without any larger significance than that which we create in our own minds. Mythos monsters represent how the giant, terrifying forces at work in the universe (like entropy), don't know or care about humans, and will do what they do, shaping and destroying our lives, like the functioning of an infinitely complex machine that can't be stopped or controlled.

That's probably what scares me the most, and that's one reason why I find The Wire much scarier than a lot of actual horror.

As for Harlequin babies:

The skin normally forms a protective barrier between the body and its surrounding environment. The skin abnormalities associated with harlequin ichthyosis disrupt this barrier, making it more difficult for affected infants to control water loss, regulate their body temperature, and fight infections. Infants with harlequin ichthyosis often experience an excessive loss of fluids (dehydration) and develop life-threatening infections in the first few weeks of life. It used to be very rare for affected infants to survive the newborn period. However, with intensive medical support and improved treatment, people with this disorder now have a better chance of living into childhood and adolescence.

If I were going to use this disorder in a horror game, I would avoid having Harlequin Babies be another scary monster that attacks the player. It'd be kind of disrespectful to turn an unfortunate condition (which might have been a tragedy in one of your players' lives) into part of a horrifying freakshow. Rather, in keeping with how I feel about the world's random meaninglessness, I might include Harlequin Ichthyosis as part of the game's backstory--a more realistic portrayal of parents being shocked and made miserable by the loss of a child to the disorder. That would be more respectful to the condition, while still working it into part of a larger theme of horror in the universe.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »

Being stuck in an abandoned space station slowly drifting further and further away from Earth, where all you can do is watch the blue dot get smaller and smaller knowing all your friends and family are there, knowing somewhere a new day is dawning and all you have left is death.

So being alone and helpless in space, basically.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:51:08 PM by Eigen » Logged

eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »

So not alot gets to be these days, at least in regular life.

But if you have a returning villain, someone who just screws you over, then seems like he wants you to remember or await more, Just give him a nice big creepy, smug, satisfied yet wanting more smile.

It makes a great afterthought, and an even better segway, just him in the dark.

In playing my games, I get scared of loosing what I earned. Like playing hardcore in Terraria. All that digging and collecting? Down the drain.

My brother arranged for me to have a teddy bear. But not just any bear, no, this had orange reflective eyes that glow at night. Eternal terror. And when I remove it? He made me put it back! I couldn't simply dispose of it either as it was also my big cuddle pillow.

Imagine coming in from an hour of work in a videogame, only to face a real terror in your own home.
schoko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 03:22:25 AM »

The only nightmare i got repeatedly is that I am still at school, or still at university. Like I am doing my everyday business and then i remember that i still have to finish that course or i might get kicked out of university... and would lose my job because i would lose my degree.  Screamy

Me or someone i love becoming seriously ill would be what scares me the most.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic