Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:51:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat scares you the most?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What scares you the most?  (Read 4945 times)
GertyGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 01:21:54 AM »

Think about your own mother. She's not scary (usually). But imagine being alone in a forest by night time. Suddenly you see your own mother standing there in the dark forest, when you know she's actually supposed to be at home.

Now this is an example I remember reading online once. It implies that even the most normal things can become very scary if they're out of place. Another example:

Imagine yourself inside an abandoned mental institution. Probably a very scary place. Now which one would be more scary thing to see? Something that is a common item in a mental institution or something that shouldn't be there, like childs toy. A doll or a teddy bear.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »

Quote from: GertyGame
Something that is a common item in a mental institution or something that shouldn't be there, like childs toy. A doll or a teddy bear.

Or your mother, who's supposed to be at home. Tongue I'm imagining a cool scene reminiscent of the surreal cutscenes in Silent Hill 2, where the player encounters their sane mom in an abandoned asylum, and she's talking/acting almost normally, but still never quite making sense, and it's never explained why she's there.

GertyGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:13 AM »

Or your mother, who's supposed to be at home. Tongue I'm imagining a cool scene reminiscent of the surreal cutscenes in Silent Hill 2, where the player encounters their sane mom in an abandoned asylum, and she's talking/acting almost normally, but still never quite making sense, and it's never explained why she's there.

Never got myself to play Silent Hills, but that sounds exactly like what I meant :D Unsettling as fuck.
jasontomlee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »

Honestly alot of factors help make something 'feel scary'! If you add some eerie & slow ambient sounds/music along with some visual cues, BOOM! Suspense is key  Evil

==== Creating simple Gamemaker assets & games ====

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/jasontomlee
ITCH:    https://jasontomlee.itch.io/
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »

Children.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2016, 03:12:42 AM »

Children.

Wait, but why?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »

There's always children in spooky episodes of things! Children's laughter, children's toys, children's homes..!

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 06:13:12 AM »

Getting my shoelace caught in the escalator.

FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

Children.

Children: Ironically the best birth control, especially in horror movies.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic