Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:10:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDo you prefer short or long games?
Poll
Question: What's your preferred time range of game playtime?
very short 1-2 hours - 13 (14.1%)
short 2-4hours - 17 (18.5%)
mid 4-7 - 18 (19.6%)
long 8-15 - 17 (18.5%)
super long 15+ - 14 (15.2%)
proc-gen games (e.g. Binding of Isaac style) - 13 (14.1%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Do you prefer short or long games?  (Read 2742 times)
ickmiester
Level 0

Makin' Games you play with your friends

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »

Yup, jumpin' on the short game bandwagon here.  Now that I have a full time job, I appreciate being able to finish a game at least within a weekend.  Even better if i can finish it in one night (4 hours) and discuss it the next day.
PixHammer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »

For me it's less to do with total playtime, but what the expected play session is. If they're asking for half a day for a satisfying experience then nono, I ain't got time for that, for me it has to be short sessions, maybe 30 mins to an hour. I mean, I'm playing Dark Souls 3 which is a 30+ hour game, but has short 10-30 minute cycles, and having a blast.
I guess I'm kinda lucky to even have that sort of time, which explains why so many people (me included) play mobile games, since you have tiny sessions and can squeeze a game or two in the dead time you're using for transit or something.

You can really see the considerations for play sessions in games such as Destiny, and Enter The Gungeon which are specifically made for short sessions, especially with console, hence why they are generally very popular.
Games such as The Last of Us, Hyper Light Drifter, Journey, and all those walking sims that demand hours, they're definitely not bad, and i'm not saying that, I just don't have the time to invest in them without compromising the experience.

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »

With family and full time job it is short game all the way. I'd also add onto this, short game with a high potential for "put down, come back week later, have a clue what is still going on". Demanding I know.

Down here, it's our time.
DigiGuineaPig
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »

It looks like the majority selected Mid. I selected anywhere between 4-15+ hours. These days I can't play an entire 40+ hour game, though. I just don't have the time. My sweet spot is somewhere around 25 hours or so for like an RPG or something! I prefer 8-10 hours for other genres like a platformer or something. As for Procedural games I'm just not that in to them, honestly. But I understand why people like em!
AtomR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »

I've recently come to love those games that you can play in a weekend if you play 3-4 hours a day. Games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or the episodes of Walking Dead or Life is Strange. Maybe it's just a byproduct of getting older where your life doesn't allow you to spend all your waking hours playing a game (how I miss that).
This has a double advantage of allowing you to take a couple of days off your busy life every once in a while and get that gaming fix, or if you do have time play many different fast games instead of spending hours on the same one that never ends. truth be told, as much as I love games like Skyrim or Dragon Age Inquisition (and I do love them) they do have a lot of filler content just to be artificially long.

Take Care
AtomR
Atom3Games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic