Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:02:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBad Hint - A small game design experiment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bad Hint - A small game design experiment  (Read 3459 times)
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:57:15 AM »

Hi, we have just released a small game-design experiment, here it is:
www.qixen-p.com/badhint

It is a bit zen inspired prototype, the idea was to see how multilayer player interactions can be organically implemented into game play meaning.

Few things:

It is really short - only few seconds long game experience.

It has only one puzzle (that is why we consider it to be an experiment only, not a game).

The grass on the big head grows according to the number of times the game has been launched.

I hope you enjoy it.
Any questions and suggestions are welcome Smiley

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
increpare
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »

hmm....i ... don't think I get the puzzle...but...I find it interesting?
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »

Hahaha, I really liked it! Granted it was simply an experiment, but it was suprisingly fun for just the playing around with an idea. Partly because I suppose it's as much an experiment for the player. The bizzare outcome is pretty satisfactory in its bizarreness because the player never really knew what he was setting out to do in the first place. And reckless experimentation should probably lead to that outcome.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:25 AM »

oh, I found a bug...which enabled me to finish the game (the concept I liked Smiley  ), but here it is...

i jumped on the other guy's head and positioned it directly below my spawn point...I wasn't able to do anything then...but he went to sleep, so Smiley

also, typo: the final text has an it's where one would expect to find an its

also: you can still get struck by lightning even when the cloud is gone ?
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:23:16 AM »

lighting - fixed; thanks a lot.

fixed the head bug also Smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:37:38 AM by ori » Logged

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
increpare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:26 AM »

lighting - fixed; thanks a lot.

I tried to do the same thing with jumping and reposting the head, yet i still could move... and there should be nothing preventing you from moving actually.

After doing that, I jumped off the BIG head; after I respawned I kept on bouncing on the head and couldn't move left or right.  I repeated this once to make sure.  But, if it's just me, it's just me.  Hardly a game-breaker anyway Smiley
Fuzz
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:17 AM »

Well, it looks and feels and sounds amazing but I don't get it.

Does it involve bouncing on the other guy's head?
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »

I don't get it either. Looks good though..
Zaphos
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »

I get it, although the first time I won without understanding why (because I was messing with the other character when it happened, and I thought it had to do with that somehow), so it's not completely clear.  Perhaps it would be stronger if the guy also disappeared, when the other stuff does, so it's clearer why you win?

Anyway, neat little game!  I like the style.
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »

well... the other guy doesn't disappear, may be because he doesn't want to, or... hell knows why (i should ask him)... as you can see everything disappears for you as soon as you escape.

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »

Ahhhh... I see what you did there.

Very confusing, which led to a nice payoff when I accidentally "solved" it. Very clever.

Kevin
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »

Heh, cool. I solved it accidentally too, which led to a decent "what the hell?" moment.
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

I must have played this game for 15 minutes straight, and I still have no idea how the hell to get anywhere.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »

It's very buggy... Like what happens when one tries to jump off the head, and sometimes spawning back with the gun only for it to suddenly disappear; being able to move after getting shot; getting a gun when pressing down, where the gun used to be before, etc.

Nevertheless, I think that winning this game could be kind of a lesson to many.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 03:47:37 AM »

We simply have left some glitches that do not interfere with game mechanics like being able to move after you being shot and so on as it has nothing to do with the puzzle solving, some are even made intentional and are being selected on random each time you jump from the head.  Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic