Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:09:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSANTRIA! A quirky 2D-JRPG inspired by Earthbound and Twin Peaks
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: SANTRIA! A quirky 2D-JRPG inspired by Earthbound and Twin Peaks  (Read 14954 times)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »

Man, I am falling in love with this game! Will there be any posts regarding the music? I assume that it'll be fairly light-hearted and airy (I'll even go as far to say Undertale inspired). Also, will music genre effect the game in anyway? It'd be neat if typing in a particular answer would trigger a specific type of battle theme or boss battle, or perhaps change the home theme!
Anyway, looking forward to more.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:03 AM »

This is very lovely and anything with Twin Peaks in the name piques my interest!

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 09:12:54 AM »

I still haven't seen Twin Peaks  Facepalm Wut am I doing with my life?

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »

Man, I am falling in love with this game! Will there be any posts regarding the music? I assume that it'll be fairly light-hearted and airy (I'll even go as far to say Undertale inspired). Also, will music genre effect the game in anyway? It'd be neat if typing in a particular answer would trigger a specific type of battle theme or boss battle, or perhaps change the home theme!
Anyway, looking forward to more.
Thank you so much! Your chosen music genre will affect some important scenes in the game. Your idea with different battle themes is awesome, I will consider it. Claudi Martinez is composing the OST for Santria, you can already listen to two songs, enjoy:

https://soundcloud.com/claudimartinez

This is very lovely and anything with Twin Peaks in the name piques my interest!
I will try my best to include some appropiate Twin Peaks atmosphere! Let's see how this turns out Smiley

I still haven't seen Twin Peaks  Facepalm Wut am I doing with my life?
Watch it! No more excuses, just do it! :D

Today I worked on some locations on the worldmap (junkyard) and included a first GUI version!

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »

Hi Tigsource! Let's talk about my progress this week!

UPDATE:

First, I continued my work on the world map. The result is this little american indian village near the Pine Falls Motel! Please, take a look!

Another big chunk of work was the implementation of a questlog. I slowly approach a point in this game's development, where the integration of early quests is very likely. Therefore, I juggled with some data structures and code fragments, resulting in this gif:

The questlog is divided into three section, representing the three story arcs of SANTRIA! Some statistics about completed main and side quests can be found in this overview. In each section, the quests are listed with the recommended level and information about the juicy rewards.

That's all for SANTRIA this week! I hope you enjoyed this little insight! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates.
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 05:19:57 AM »

Hi Tigsource! Let's talk about my progress this week!

UPDATE:
This week, I implemented a personal computer in SANTRIA! This device has some important applications in the game, but first:

You can use the following programs:

• Browser: The purpose of this software is to improve the immersion. You can read recent news and order special items not avaiable in the local ULTRA market.
  • Data: Somehow like a trophy room. Do you remember the photographer in Link's Awakening and Earthbound? You will face something similiar in SANTRIA and will be able to look on it using your data folder. Nostalgia all-inclusive!
  • LITTLE BOMB: A quirky littte minesweeper clone, nothing special
  • Mail: I enjoy mails from NPCs! Do you like it, too? If so, this program will be your favorite thing!
  • Calendar: Special events and festivities will take place at curtain weekdays. Look it up in the calendar!
  • Settings: The origin for the computer implementation. The player should be able to change the settings ingame, but this feature isn't used that often to justify an own button in the game menu. This was the solution!

Another big chunk of work was the world map, again. This time: a lemonade stand! Enjoy!

That's all for SANTRIA this week! I hope you enjoyed this little insight! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »

Loving it all! Especially the desktop interaction!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »

Loving it all! Especially the desktop interaction!
Thank you so much! Some feedback is the unleaded fuel for my gamedev engine!  Kiss

UPDATE:
Hi tigsource! Let's skip the chit chat and go straightforward to the animated gifs, with the only purpose to entertain you! Enjoy! This are the results of the last weeks:

#1: I finished the equipment menu and I'm pretty happy with it. Works flawlessy and gives a good overview about the actual improvements of new items!

#2: An example for one of the many special animations in the game. I will try to improve the game to a very interactive and immersive game world.

#3: Campingsites? I can't miss this one in SANTRIA! Do you catch the gaming easteregg?

#4: The newest addition to the long list of locations: a radiostation with corresponding broadcasting tower. I enjoyed the creation of this place a lot and try to achieve a very unique and quirky feeling for it. What do you think, tigsource?

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »

UPDATE: Let get tactical, tactical!

Hi tigsource!

I'm glad to introduce you to the new tactical battle system of SANTRIA! It's very XCOM-like but include some interesting twists of the formula! Check it out and tell me what you think!  Smiley

But first an animated gif, enjoy:

The turn order is determined by the agility value of each battle participant. Therefore, you don't have a strict separation between player and enemy rounds. Every participant can use two action points to move twice on the battlefield or move once and perform an action. The dark blue nodes marks the one-move range and the light blue nodes the two-moves range. The following actions can be performed:

• MOVEMENT: As discussed before. You can increase the range of your movement with a higher agility stat. The size of the battlefield will always be in the scale of the example in the animated gif, allowing to cross it in few movement steps. My design philosophy is a very fast and arcade-like battle system, which is just slightly slower than a traditional ff-like turn-based system and improve the player experience with an additional variable: space.
  • MELEE: Classic! Can be performed without PSI points, but you need to be in range.
  • DEFENSE MODE: The player can switch to defense mode, that cuts incoming damage in half. A very powerful ability for the tanky use of some party members.
  • PSI POWERS: Core of the battle system. Every party member has 100 PSI points and regenerates 10 points each turn. You can cast one of four character specific PSI powers for 20 PSI points. One example is shown in the animated gif below, [INSERT MUSICGENRE] OVERDRIVE. This attack hits every enemy in the range of the flying LP. Every PSI power can be modified with the use of specific PSI stones. The following modifications are avaiable for [INSERT MUSICGENRE] OVERDRIVE: option 1 - limitless range, only hindered by unpassable objects; option 2 - the attack taunts the hitted enemies, allowing some tanky gameplay; option 3 - the attack stuns the hitted enemies. These modifications allow different play styles and different enemy types may favored a specific modification. Additionally, the synergy with other PSI powers may be interesting to explore. Another big feature of PSI powers: the powers may be changed in critical one by a successful quick time event. See the gif below for a example!  Smiley
  • Backpack: The item management is very simple compared to other tactical battle systems like Fire Emblem. I try to preserve a very fast and streamlined battle experience. Every partymember has access to one big backpack and can used heal and PSI potions for one action point. Additionally, the items can also be used on another party members while they are in range.
  • END TURN: Classic.

This was the introduction to the tactical battle system. The change of the system was very important for me, I see the following improvements:

• Introduction of a new variable - The importance of position and line of sight improves the tactical deep and variety of the battles, even for the same enemy group. Additionally, the skills are more interesting with various ranges.
  • Presentation of the battles -I want to present story relevant battles like small movies, with different suprises and cut scenes like joining enemies entering doors or the use of lasers to block specific grid positions. I think, this kind of system is the best suited one.

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »

UPDATE: LITTLE BOMB AND OCCULT STUFF

Hi tigsource!

I worked on a litte minesweeper clone this week: LITTLE BOMB! I like minigames like this one in RPGs, the player will get a deeper experience and richer interactivity during gaming.

Another addition to the world map, the Pine Falls shopping mall! I had a lot of fun working on the occult grocery store with it's skeleton vendors! This location will be important for the main quest and sells crucial items for occult side quests. Stay tuned! The barber shop allows the individualisation of the party member and the post station will be important for internet orders. The beatnik jazz bar is heavily influenced by the beatnik club in Grim Fandango and the theater in Earthbound.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic