Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:59:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArsenic Cookies
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Arsenic Cookies  (Read 7274 times)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »

Alright. I'm a little heasitant to release info on this, but I think that it is far enough developed to be known.

Arsenic Cookies (From and "In" joke) is a dark, yet somewhat humorous game about a serious topic. Suicide.
Basic Stuff
It is an exploration platforming game (drawing inspiration from Knytt) in which you go around looking for Arsenic Cookies. The story 'concept' is that you want to die, but the only way you can kill yourself is by eating arsenic cookies.
Gameplay
You start with three choices of whic way to go, with 20 health, and each Arsenic Cookie lowering your health by 1. Eventually you can go anywhere in the world. ALong the way, depending on what path you take, you will find out more and more about yourself, and why it is so hard to die.
Features
-around 200 Arsenic Cookies to find.
-Enemies raise your health.
-Your health will theoretically be able to go infinately high. In acutality if you go above the current number of cookies, you restart from a save point.
-Save points
-A LARGE world
Where it's at now
I'm working on teh world.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:39:14 PM by Bood_War » Logged

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »

Make it so the "enemies" are like, friends and wellwishers.

Lo
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »

Make it so the "enemies" are like, friends and wellwishers.
Hmm, the enemies I have thus far are Medics and Medic-Kits, but thats a good idea... Maybe something like said Medics and kits heal you 2 and friends and/or wellwishers do 1? Interesting, thanks for the idea!

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »

Very interesting concept, the opopposite of what you try to do in almost every other plattformer.

I wanna see some screens soon.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:55:25 AM »

Don't worry, some early screens will be here today or tomorrow.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

Maybe you could add enemies that hurt you but can't make you go below your minimum health, which is lowered by eating arsenic cookies. The enemies would die on contact to prevent over use. You could use spike pits as health discharge (Is there a better antonym for recharge?) stations. You lose if you go above your maximum health, and win after finding all the arsenic cookies to lower your minimum heath to 0
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »

Screenshot number 1!

genericuser
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »

Heh, sounds like an interesting concept. This could very well be a nice game  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

BTW; what are you using to make this game?
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »

Heh, sounds like an interesting concept. This could very well be a nice game  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

BTW; what are you using to make this game?
Gamemaker  Grin I'm gonna have an alpha in a day or 2, so
it's coming along!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »

after seeing the screenshot and reading about the premise I think I would like to see a little more visual punch up. the very geometric shapes and solid blacks and greys just dont work for me. I would like to see something a little more exciting. perhaps bring some color into the world even if you want it to be moody you can still use a limited color pallette to convey that. and if your going to stick with the all black. look into the work of michel gagne. he does very effective work with just outlines but uses bold colors as background. I like the reverse idea you have going on here. your idea is so fresh and different that i think it makes your screenshot a little bland. If you need any crits or help on the art let me know, same with gamemaker. feel free to PM me.

check this link out.
http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Gallery/gallery_spectre.htm

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »

the very geometric shapes and solid blacks and greys just dont work for me.
Perhaps I should explain the graphics. The game is in very VERY early stages, as such, the graphics aren't great. What I plan on doing is keeping the ground tiles black, but give more detail to it.
perhaps bring some color into the world even if you want it to be moody you can still use a limited color palette to convey that.
Don't worry, there will be much color (albeit no bright) in enemies, characters, set pieces, etc.
And for backrounds, I plan on finding a good artist (who will work for free!) to do good backrounds for me.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »

fantastic!!

I guess i should have asked if that was an early engine test or a mockup.

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »

Do NOT touch the graphics!  Mock Anger they're perfect as is I think ! It fits the mood that you described perfectly.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »

Do NOT touch the graphics!  Mock Anger they're perfect as is I think ! It fits the mood that you described perfectly.
Don't worry, like I said, the ground, and much of the scenery will be like the scrren.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

Screenshot number 2

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »

For future reference, You probably should save your pictures as gifs, jpegs ruin quality.
Due to lack of colours, it only really shows up on the door, but once you get any detailed graphics, it makes a big difference.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »

For future reference, You probably should save your pictures as gifs, jpegs ruin quality.
Due to lack of colours, it only really shows up on the door, but once you get any detailed graphics, it makes a big difference.
I'll keep that in mind, although I saved this as a 24-bit bmp  Shrug

Fuzz
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »

Photobucket automatically changes bitmaps to jpegs. Sad
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »

Photobucket automatically changes bitmaps to jpegs. Sad
Hmm, that might be the problem  Apoplectic

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »

If you're just using Paint, it might be safer to save as a PNG, if you have that option. I believe Paint saves GIFs using the standard 256 colour palette, which could have undesirable effects...

Concept sounds pretty great, by the way.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic