Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:17:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow do you price your game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you price your game?  (Read 1112 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:16 AM »

Discuss!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:46:22 AM »

With money?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:50:46 AM »

With an Ouija board.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 04:55:48 AM »

In all seriousness though, and despite the relatively bland op, I do think that you should price your game so as to 1) get back any amount that you spent developing your game and 2) amass enough money to support your next project. Of course, this brings up the issue of knowing approximately how many units you're going to sell, and that can be hard to estimate. I know there are resources for that online, but I've never had to use them myself so I can't speak for their effectiveness.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »

Assuming you have done all your development, theoretically you should price your game to maximise your profit.

<profit> = (<units sold> * (<price per unit> - <cost to support sale>) )

Costs to support a sale would be an average per unit cost for things like tech support, community management, increased server load etc. Usually fairly negligible for simple games with many units sold, but for complex games with fewer units sold it might be a factor in choosing the price.

Of course, <units sold> is closely related to <price per unit>, because fewer consumers will buy your game if it's overpriced, and more will buy it if it's a bargain.

Theoretically there's a <price per unit> point which will maximize <profit>. The problem is that you don't know the details of the relationship. So how do you know where that point is? There are many factors at play:
  • Many consumers are attached to the idea that a game's price should somehow relate to <average play time>. If a typical consumer spends 20 hours in total on your game, and it costs $20, then we can reason that they spent $1 per hour of entertainment. So that's why replay value comes in to the equation, it extends <average play time> sometimes by a lot. I've probably played hundreds of hours of Spelunky and it cost me only £11.99, so I guess it was a good purchase.
  • Theoretically, consumers should also factor in <play quality>. That is <game value> = <average play time> * <play quality>. OK so you played a game for 20 hours but how much fun was each of those hours? If the game made you grind repetitively then not much fun. If each minute of the game was a unique enlightening experience then <play quality> is high.
  • There are threshold effects, for example some consumers will simply buy straight away if they like the trailer and the game is less than say $2. Whereas once you go over $10 consumers will need more convincing.
  • Sometimes a slightly higher price works in your favour if your product appears to be high-quality (e.g. snazzy trailer, awards, good reviews)  -- the higher price will confirm this in the consumer's mind
  • Certain types of game have a "maximum" price which has been established over time. For example The Witness attracted criticism for its $40 price tag because it's "only a puzzle game". Similar maximum prices may apply to games with the "indie" tag, 2D games etc.

So overall, I guess you should try to estimate the game value in terms of play time and play quality, then price it relative to games of similar game value but be aware of consumer expectations, costs to support sales and threshold effects.

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »

Thanks Josh for the reasonable answer.

Anyone want to share how they calculated the price for their published game, and what the results were?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »

How many sales did you make with your game priced at 6$ ? (which i find completely unreasonable)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »

How many sales did you make with your game priced at 6$ ? (which i find completely unreasonable)

None yet. I'm going to discount it so it shows up on the Discounted page of itch.io . What do you think people would pay for that game? (Gameplay video on the page http://quantumpilot.me)

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

from the video and the fact that it's available for 1$ in the app store. I'd only see 2$ as the max price.

i just played your game ( thanks for making it available) .
Did you playtest the game on windows?
Game screensize is locked and there is a big issue to enjoy the game:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »

Shit, thanks Bakkusa!
I did try on my roommates machine and it looked fine. I've adjusted some things in Electron though which may have thrown it off. I'm rendering an html page with a canvas element but Electron is putting scrollbars around it unless I make the Electron window bigger. I'll try again and there's another Windows machine I'll test on too.
Thanks so much!

Good point, I didn't even think about price comparison. The App Store is a much older design -- the interface is not as streamlined. Thank you for playtesting & feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic