Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:05:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking for games with truly memorable stories
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for games with truly memorable stories  (Read 1935 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »

Kentucky Route Zero

^^^^
Honestly some of the most beautiful dialogue I've read in a game
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »

Pathologic I heard has a compelling... narrative

Necdilzor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »

I liked the Metal Gear Solid 1-3 stories a lot.
Some of the character quadruple-crossing still boggles my mind (won't spoil who).

I think that MGS has some solid story material, it got me every damn time haha.

I'd like to add Baldur's Gate to the mix, it's interesting to discover what really is going on. Baldur's Gate 2 has more character development IMO though and is also great story wise.

The original Deus Ex has a good story too. And Final Fantasy IV and VI too.

If you wanted to look to older games I think my job's done Wink

EDIT: I almost forgot! (shame) The Legacy of Kain series have excellent story and character development IMO.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:18:09 PM by Necdilzor » Logged
Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »

If I had to choose I would say Silent Hill 2. One of my all time favourites and the story was awesome. The whole game was perfect.

I have the "Theme Of Laura" on my ringtone since I played :D

Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »

Kentucky Route Zero

^^^^
Honestly some of the most beautiful dialogue I've read in a game

I have to recommend this too. Brilliant.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 06:06:17 AM »

This thread made me buy SOMA, but it's far too spoopy so I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »

Yay for threadcromancy!

Albion, by Blue Byte. It had more lore than a pen and paper RPG splatbook. The story was, as follows: The player starts on a sci-fiction FTL colony ship that crash lands on a planet. The planet is inhabited by a race of bipedal cat people who use magic. Additionally, later on, you find that the original Celts used some kind of cross-dimensional magic to join the cat-people on this planet.
The lore and story were amazing. Even reading a spoiler-ridden walkthrough just isn't the same, that game was so rich and such a labor of love.

Telltale's Walking Dead series have pretty good plots, but on the other hand, that's really all they have going for them.

Most games are just variations on the theme of power fantasy or save the (locale) from (antagonist), maybe with a twist of (surprise antagonist) and/or (betrayal). Games have pretty rudimentary stories, and that's actually okay. People play games for the gameplay, not the stories. If all they want are stories, there are libraries and bookstores or even movies to fulfill that desire.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »

I really liked okami's story. it's enjoyable on the surface level, but if you understand all the references to asian folklore it's really impressive imo

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »

Opera Omnia

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »

I know people are going to hate me for this, but I've always been a fan of the excessively pretentious convoluted wankage of Xenogears. I mean, even if it is kind of fit snuggly within the confines of derivative RPG archetypes and storytelling formulas. However, I think it does quite a bit more than can be expected of a game of that type, especially for the time it came out.
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »

I really liked the plot of Thomas was alone. Nothing too innovative, but the characters and the narration were so lovely. Pathologic and Vampire: Bloodlines are also favourites of mine.
Portal/Portal 2 made me wept (being italian I understood the lyrics oh Portal2's turrets song, and they really were a punch in the gut.)

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »

I'll always suggest the Mother/EarthBound series for stuff like this. Especially Mother 3.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 12:00:54 AM »

Killer7. I don't know what that game was even really about but it sure left an impression on me. I keep waiting for Suda51 to make something as good, but no luck so far.

Also yes, Vampire Bloodlines is very good. It's imo not so much the story itself that is memorable but the characters. The game has some really good dialog writing for a videogame. I found myself actually talk to NPCs because they are interesting people, not just to get the next quest unlike in 99% of RPGs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:18:00 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic