Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:00:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XLVII Voting!
Poll
Question: Who won? You decide!  (Voting closed: April 04, 2016, 08:09:07 AM)
Geoff Moore - Arrivals - 4 (57.1%)
Zencha - An Ancient Cavern - 2 (28.6%)
RedNoise Stardroplets - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XLVII Voting!  (Read 671 times)
cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »

Right folks, fantastic submissions, I'm really happy with everyones song, you all made some great tunes Toast Right It was really hard trying to pick 3 out of the 4 submissions, all the song have their own merits. Anyway, above you'll find the voting poll and below you'll find your individual feedback. Don't take the feedback too seriously, opinions and all that jazz Smiley you should all be happy with what you created! Remember to vote for your favourite from the above! Anywho, lets get to the feedback:

Zencha - An Ancient Cavern
Love the feel of this track, you really demonstrated the power of the Thor synth, I really like the kinda motif thing that the kinda overdriven lead is doing, that works really well with the chord progression. My main critique would be where you placed the bass synth in the mix, I think bringing it down by just a couple of dB could make a huge impact on the track, but thats a really nit picky complaint. I also feel as if the track is missing an element, I can't quite put my finger on it, I feel a pad sound might do a fair bit to add a bit more depth imho. Overall, fantastic submission, well done man! (Love the pixel art too btw)

RedNoise - Stardroplets
Having never used the Minibit, I'm unsure of the potential of this particular synth, but I feel like your composition of the track fits the whole country/chiptune vibe you went for, it sounds very homely, I love all the little elements of the track, you seem to have a good attention to detail when it comes to this. If I could change anything about the track it would be to utilise the stereo field a bit more, just a personal thing, but there are elements of the mix that seem pretty closed due to this, and just panning a few bits here and there would go a long way. But all in all, great track man, well done!

Dustin Van Wyk - Synth
I love the sounds you've created here, they're really neat, they really are reminiscent of chiptune music, the start reminds me a lot of Undertale. The composition of the track is pretty nice, I feel the drum sequencing could have been adjusted a little bit to fit better with the 'reggae chip-funk' vibe you were going for, I think the drums just need a little more swing. One thing to note, I don't know if this was intentional, but at about 1:01 where the track starts to fade out, it kinda pans hard right, then hard left for a second, then goes back to hard right. I'm unsure if this is a digital error or whether that was intentional, if thats what you were going for thats completely cool, but I found it kinda strange Tongue Overall though I thought this track was really quirky, I really like it man!

Geoff Moore - Arrivals
This track is pretty awesome, I have a soft spot for ambient, and it's good to see you didn't go for the chiptune approach, not that theres anything wrong with that, but if refreshing to hear something ambient Smiley I've breifly used the Absynth and its up there with one of the synths I really want to get due to how powerful it is, and you seem to have utilised the more melodic side of it, I really like all the textures that are in this song. If I can mention anything to improve it would be the pad sound that comes in around 1:50, I feel this would be a good opportunity to like an LFO with the pitch control of that sound to make it wave in and out of tune, only ever so slightly, like 0.05Hz or something. But great track man, you should be happy with what you've made!

Overall fantastic submissions all around, the poll will last for 7 days, so happy voting and may the best man/woman win (The drama is real)  My Word!

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »

Self voting is wrong, so I went and voted on Geoff Moore for his awesome ambient track! Nice work Geoff (:
Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »

Ooo, I'm gonna have to go with Dustin's track. Vibe is funky in both the rhythmic sense and the sense of something being a bit off haha. Great use of panning too. Dig it  Beer!

Comments on my track make sense, listening back similarly felt that I was missing an ingredient. Agreed on the bass too, my EDM taste coming in too strong haha.

Great tracks guys though, dig em all. Glad to hear the variety.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »

Neat submissions everybody. ((: I'm a sucker for ambient music, soooo my vote's gonna go to Arrivals. Nice one Geoff! Good to hear Absynth in action. Grin

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »

Congratulations Geoff Moore!

You are allowed to host the next challenge Smiley

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »

Oh, snap! Thank you everyone Smiley Smiley Smiley

Sure, I can do the next one! Is there a list of past comps or any guidelines or anything, or do I just make it up as I go along?

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »

Grats man! You deserved it! You just sort of make it up as you go along, at least, thats what I did, feel free to use previous challenges as a guide if you want Smiley

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »

Gratz Geoff!  Gentleman
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic