Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:20:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat breaks a game for you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What breaks a game for you?  (Read 6147 times)
AdamRB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

1) Games where player input or player intent is ignored arbitrarily. For example, in a game where running off a ledge causes an auto jump this one ledge ignores that and you fall right off or, in lighter cases, when I assume hitting down in a sidescroller will make me crouch when it doesn't. Most times it's a glitch, missing feature, or oversight; though I also feel it in fighting games where I mistime my inputs because I'm still in hitlag (perfectly fine for balancing a fighting game, not so good in single player games).

2) When I'm free to completely customize my avatar character only to have them be part of a narrative I have no control over. Imagine being told a camp fire story, by someone who doesn't know you, but casting you as the main character. This is especially true if it's a deep narrative where the character has dialogue and a lot of specific choices.

I had the former happen in the newest FE game; It didn't bother me in Awakening, since my avatar wasn't really the main character, but in Fates they are and I felt the dissonance.
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »

1) Games where player input or player intent is ignored arbitrarily. For example, in a game where running off a ledge causes an auto jump this one ledge ignores that and you fall right off or, in lighter cases, when I assume hitting down in a sidescroller will make me crouch when it doesn't. Most times it's a glitch, missing feature, or oversight; though I also feel it in fighting games where I mistime my inputs because I'm still in hitlag (perfectly fine for balancing a fighting game, not so good in single player games).

2) When I'm free to completely customize my avatar character only to have them be part of a narrative I have no control over. Imagine being told a camp fire story, by someone who doesn't know you, but casting you as the main character. This is especially true if it's a deep narrative where the character has dialogue and a lot of specific choices.

I had the former happen in the newest FE game; It didn't bother me in Awakening, since my avatar wasn't really the main character, but in Fates they are and I felt the dissonance.

Godddd I hate it when all of this happens haha

ickmiester
Level 0

Makin' Games you play with your friends

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »

Invisible walls ruin games.  Why oh why don't you simply mark the walls?

I'll accept in HALO that we are fighting over a completely enclosed gulch with a base at either end.  I'll believe in borderlands that when you go too far into a "restricted" zone, you'll be shot dead by auto turrets.

I won't believe that in the Battlefield games, going outside of some predetermined mission area makes me suddenly have a heart attack and respawn.  I won't believe that in an action game where I can fly and teleport, that I can't hop over a chest-high pile of debris to walk around an enemy trap.

I'll even accept non-invisible abstract walls.  In the original left 4 dead, the special infected could approach the absolute limits of the map, at which point they were met with a giant floating NO sign.  It didn't take control of the character by killing them without explanation.  It didn't stop movement without explanation.  It says "You can't go here.  don't go here."  and I respect that. 
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:29 PM »

Unskippable cutscenes. Especially when they're long!
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »

Unskippable cutscenes. Especially when they're long!

Yep. And then after 100 or so times you start to copy the cutscene. I recently did this when trying
to race for the gold in the new ratchet and clank in Rilgar. Starlene keeps telling me
"aww, but you can always try again." Lol it's fucking irritating after 50 or so times.  Cheesy

Invisible walls are also a pain. But I like that if you do it right, you can glitch the game. I
remember getting stuck in a planter in AC revelations, Ezio just looking outside the tree like a damn mime.
Good times.

My biggest one, is where there's an annoying character (good lord Cora trying to tell you to do shit in Ratchet and Clank pissed me off, like it's not even 5 seconds and she goes "come over here, we gotta go, cmon cmon" like holy Crisco,

or when I have impossibly high standards for when I play games that I expect the same in other games, or that I don't fully appreciate the effort made from other games because of said quality, (sniff, NIER why you so good...)  Tears of Joy Cry

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »

Bad implemented trial and error and/or bad collisions when the game mechanics are based on ability... These things are quite infuriating for me.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »

Bad implemented trial and error and/or bad collisions when the game mechanics are based on ability... These things are quite infuriating for me.

Trial and error with bad collisions. Absolute nightmare.
Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »

Trial and error with bad collisions. Absolute nightmare.

Dark Souls.

Raaf
TIGBaby

Game addict #024

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 01:58:08 AM »

This completely. Specially if it causes character death and the penalty for it (restart at last save point, repair armor, run 10 miles again or watch that lovely 5 minute custcene you can't skip) is bothersome.

Also when you have a mechanic that requires precise timing of controls and the controls aren't responsive (input lag int he machine, not in the network). It's maddening!

Game developer during the day day. Gamer by night. Health&Fitness freak in between.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »

I've grown to not stand for walking simulators or other things where there's such an obvious path and you just have to hold a button to do it. I like interesting movement choices.

Thinking of Fract OST, where the tutorial level was a lot of walking.. I am used to quick moving games and I wanted to be flying across the map.

Lack of keyboard controls - I hate using the mouse to click on buttons and much prefer keyboard controls. Please devs, let me use keyboard or gamepad!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »

Easy but time consuming puzzles (or action segments.)

Twitter: @pbergmar
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »

Ridiculous/random difficulty spikes. It's okay to have the game get harder, but to have it get harder all at once is stupid.

At the same time I also hate games that involve leveling up but then they throw some crazy boss at you that you need to stop everything and go grind for an hour just to beat.
FlanPlan
Level 0

That's my horse.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »

Ridiculous/random difficulty spikes. It's okay to have the game get harder, but to have it get harder all at once is stupid.

At the same time I also hate games that involve leveling up but then they throw some crazy boss at you that you need to stop everything and go grind for an hour just to beat.

I hate this too. I don't mind grinding in some games, like Disgaea does this, but it is what it's based around so it works and it also tends to keep the enemies around the same level during each chapter so you only really need to grind between chapters.
Difficulty spikes that are random are just absolutely annoying though.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »

Rubber-banding in racing games, spoon-feeding difficulty, anime

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »

Giving the player "health upgrades" in a mostly linear game, only to have ALL LATER ENEMIES DEAL MORE DAMAGE.

It's not an upgrade if you immediately make it completely worthless

When every enemy, *even the "weak" ones*, can kill you in 1-4 hits, but it takes you 10-15 hits.

They're not weak enemies if they're tedious to kill but just one mistake will kill you

When regular enemies that take a lot of damage to kill, but follow a repeating pattern/have AI that can easily be abused. I will quit a game completely if this happens twice or more.

Don't make me sit in that corner, completely safe, spamming shots for 15 seconds

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »

Unskippable cutscenes.
#1. Amen to that.

Ridiculous/random difficulty spikes.
And this. *coughyperlightdrifterenterthegungeon

- Slowness in general

- Lack of visibility of important things: like a bullet-hell shooter in which you can't see the bullets very well.

Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 06:32:14 AM »

I've played a good amount of games and i've felt disappointed by a 10% of them. But among all of those i've found things i really dislike. A long list.

1: Kid Friendly games that turn out to be too hard. One of the offenders is "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze". Its predecessor for Wii was hard as well, especially in Hard Mode" but nowhere as hard. There is a line between "challenging" and "unfair". Not everyone is a videogame genius who has too much time to spend with them. It was even a good game anyway.

2: Games that are too easy. Kirby's Epic Yarn is an offender. Now i understand the extremely kid-friendly feel of Kirby (well, sometimes the series gets creepy but never scary) but Epic Yarn is just Game Over-less. It's not a necessarily bad game anyway

3: Repetitive bosses. Oh god, when bosses are recycled over and over is just cringeworthy. This happened with a good game like Sonic Colors, where world 4-5-6 bosses are nearly identical to the world 1-2-3 ones. And speaking to "not very good" games, i remember playing "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" PS2 version and had that Tennis Style Boss appearing just everywhere. Some of the game aspects were fun but, eeew...

4: Bland cutscenes. Seriously i just can't stand Harry Potter PS2's cutscenes that just don't give life to anything, they're cringeworthy. Also the PS4 Ratchet & Clank is an offender of this. Compared to the PS2 games cutscenes (I didn't have a PS3, unfortunately) they're dummies! A lot of PS2 games have very bland cutscenes, seriously. So you wonder how were MGS2-3 possible, if PS2 games' cutscenes sucked so much. Still mentioning the Harry Potter thing...

5: Loading times. Shoot! If i ever go inside another area i have to wait 20-30 seconds just to play it. What if i did forget something or if i did in that area by mistake? Just boring. Rayman 2 for PS2 has this as well, even if slightly shorter and even if it was a good game. Well, a lot of games have this problem, you know, i won't mention Sonic 2006 because there is so much wrong with that game that can be described by one scene.

6: Vast and empty maps. In the Harry Potter game i'm talking about you can fly with your broom freely so you can reach unreachable parts of the castle... that feature nothing at all. Seriouly, there is literally nothing you can do in that map.
Talking about modern games in general, today, maps are just too big but with little to do. Assassin's Creed series is just a great offender. There is a reason i loved Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherood (Revelation was fine but it's clear it marks Desilet's departure from the series, poor Desilets): their maps were big but not too much.  But the real offense is AC Unity. Leaving the fact that after beating the game i just lost any interest to complete the games, Paris is just too big.
And only because something looks realistic doesn't mean it is any good. If i want to see a perfect replica of Notre Dame... well, i'll buy a trip to Paris and visit the real cathedral instead. AC Unity has so many wrong with it, besides the boring colossal map, like...

7: Bitter, generic, pointless plot: When i play a videogame i just don't feel like playing "Romeo and Juliet: The Edge Videogame". AC Unity wasn't a good game alone, the plot even contributes to make things worse. Assassin's Creed has never been known for being light hearted but Ezio's Trilogy is just good. There is a reason AC Unity has caused so many controversies (Mars Attack), just like AC3. Maybe i'm probably stuck up with Nintendo Games anyway, lol. On the other hand...

8: Games with no plot at all. As good as Rayman Legend was, i hated the fact that it was just plotless. I mean, it starts with one but it's just an excuse to "let's go adventure!!!". There must at least minimal progression to story, even with a simplistic one like you see in Mario Games. Rayman Legends had none, though. That's why i kinda preferred Rayman Origins, in terms of gameplay. It felt much more original and richer. Also more challenging. At least in Legends the climax is offered by settings and soundtracks. Ubisoft, heh.

9: Games that are too short. In this case, i'll put Wario World. Gee it was so short. But i admit the game was pretty. Epic Mickey 2 was felt very short, so anticlimatic and so unpolished. And speaking about Epic Mickey...

10: when games don't let you revert back to a save. Sometimes, especially in "choice-ridden" games, you may want to go back to a save. Even Undertale, one perfect example of "choice-ridden" gameplay, lets you do this (it's actually one of the main points of the game!). Epic Mickey doesn't. If you did something wrong with these clunky mechanics you can't go back to a choice. If you didn't like the consequences of some of your actions or just want to see both without playing the game ever and ever, you'll have to deal with it. It's just unfair. Someone may like it but there should be an option for it.
But i've never heard about Warren Spector (the author of Epic Mickey) like an humble guy open to criticism. Probably he thought "no my game is fine in this way i don't care" and it was clear with Epic Mickey 2, where most bugs from the predecessor weren't got fixed.

Probably there are other things that annoy me in a video game but there are among the main. I have to admit that, despite Playstation games, Nintendo games have never disappointed me totally like a game like AC Unity did. I'll even put Shadow of Mordor, which had a very short main campaign and a quick time event as final boss... seriously  Undecided
TerminusEst13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 01:59:53 AM »

I really hate games that are "supposed" to be unfun, harsh, or whatever. I can understand wanting to explore games as an art form, but I like playing games because I like having fun. Call me a simple man, but after a rough day I like to sit back and enjoy myself.

I also hate it when there's alternate endings determined by the "right" thing to do--which were long ago, had seemingly no importance, and can't be gone back to. White Chamber was especially bad about this, which is a shame since it was a fun little game otherwise.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »

1: Kid Friendly games that turn out to be too hard. One of the offenders is "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze". Its predecessor for Wii was hard as well, especially in Hard Mode" but nowhere as hard. There is a line between "challenging" and "unfair". Not everyone is a videogame genius who has too much time to spend with them. It was even a good game anyway.

counterpoint: kids totally have enough time for this

nickFromPaintteh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »

- Slowness in general

- Lack of visibility of important things: like a bullet-hell shooter in which you can't see the bullets very well.

good ones  Coffee
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic