Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:43:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat breaks a game for you?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What breaks a game for you?  (Read 6110 times)
Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »

1: Kid Friendly games that turn out to be too hard. One of the offenders is "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze". Its predecessor for Wii was hard as well, especially in Hard Mode" but nowhere as hard. There is a line between "challenging" and "unfair". Not everyone is a videogame genius who has too much time to spend with them. It was even a good game anyway.
counterpoint: kids totally have enough time for this
Probably, but i write from my perspective. My parents didn't enjoy i was too much into videogames lol.
And i've even finished Tropical Freeze in Hard Mode. Forget Time Attack, though, that's just... a TAS.
Sceptileus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 03:47:04 AM »

When it feels like the game doesn't respect my time.
Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »

In recent times I've become increasingly wary of games that take a popular style of play, transplant it elsewhere willy-nilly without understanding the meaning behind the mechanics in the first place. Just because aspects of the Souls series worked for, well, Dark Souls doesn't mean they'll work for your game if you imitate them.

It's not that I'm discouraging taking from good games--the problem is taking without even trying to improve the mechanic(s); that's the real tragedy. I think Bruce Lee's pithy quote says it best: 'Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.'

I suppose I ought mention Lords of the Fallen (LotF) now, at least in passing--it gets too much hate and not enough praise for what it did do well.

LotF engenders conflicting feelings in me: on one hand, they seem to follow the philosophy to the T (the camera system is splendid, the way they handle heavy attacks in interesting) and go the exact opposite way other times (level design, the bosses are the weakest part of the game, the narrative/story doesn't work because of how it's told, some buttons are way too overloaded).

There is one thing I will say: CI Games/Deck13 Interactive got the Gauntlet to feel good, they really nailed it. If I want anyone handling the gameplay for a spiritual sequel to Megaman Legends, I want it to be them.

(... at least I did until they announced the Surge at E3 and I can only hope they've learnt their lesson ...)

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
Unlimie
Level 0

Love&Peace

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2016, 02:18:22 AM »

For fatasy games: delusional and illogical plot
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »

For fatasy games: delusional and illogical plot

But the evil empire is invading so we must collect the magic crystals and fulfill our destiny to stop the head of the evil Gaia-killing organization from becoming a god and destroying the UNIVERSE!!!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »

any game that requires high manual dexterity. fighting games, beat em ups, shmups, "hardcore" platformers, you name it. it's not that i think these games are bad, i just can't play them.
Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »

any game that requires high manual dexterity. fighting games, beat em ups, shmups, "hardcore" platformers, you name it. it's not that i think these games are bad, i just can't play them.

This is an interesting point you raise! I think balancing the dexterity of input versus the on-screen output is a delicate art and it's really quite difficult to get it right.

I initially thought that the more I played KoF, the more I would get the timing for the inputs, but it didn't really happen for me. And then there was Rising Thunder which ... 'abstracted' (for lack of a better word) the inputs and I thought was a very neat execution, and really broke down how fighting games sort of work for me? I actually got a bit better at KoF after 'getting' Rising Thunder.

Just a thought I had.

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic