Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:07:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFighting Space - Classic shmup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fighting Space - Classic shmup  (Read 974 times)
Colonel Justice
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »

Introduction

This game is heavily inspired by the mid 90's DOS shareware gaming era, especially the Apogee classics and later titles like Stargunner and the like.

It features the typical shmup horizontal scroller gameplay with some RPG elements. It even has an accurate recreation of 3DRealms/Apogees setup.exe which is basically the game options menu.

Mechanics

-At the start of the game, you choose between 4 different pilots that have a special passive ability each and ship setup.
-Through the stages, you shoot the bad guys (obv. :D), collect cash and defeat bosses.
-Between stages you enter a shipyard where you can buy upgrades from the earned cash.
-The ships are composed of body, engine, wings, six weapon slots and three control slots. There's different stats involved that have a telling of your ship, e.g. max speed, acceleration, hull, shield regeneration, etc.

-The game features a 2 player mode and some ingame mechanics try focus the cooperative aspects. For example, when your ship gets destroyed, your pilot is ejected and you have the chance to reach the next checkpoint for ship recovery. In 2 player mode, the other player can pick your pilot up and give you a ride to the checkpoint. This results often in funny and stressy situations, especially when there's failure involved Wink

-There are quite a few more mechanics I encourage you to explore in the fully functional 8 stage demo.

Stats

Right now the game covers the following content:
8 Stages (40 planned)
4 pilots (8 planned)
12 weapons (20-30 planned)
7 ship upgrades (20-30 planned)
30 different ship parts (x planned)
~20 enemy types (x planned)

Beta Demo

You can grab it at IndieDB http://www.indiedb.com/games/fighting-space/downloads/fighting-space-07
This is the version 0.7 Windows 64 bit client.

Controls

The default controls are as follows:

Player 1

Move: Arrow keys
Fire / Buy / Select: B
Special Tech: N
Pause / Cancel Buying / Exit: M

Player 2

Move: WASD
Fire / Buy / Select: 1
Special Tech: 2
Pause / Cancel Buying / Exit: M

Gamepad (can be configured in future releases):

Move: Analog or digital stick
Fire / Buy / Select: 4 / X
Pause / Cancel Buying / Exit: B / 2

Right now this game is still beta stage, so be warned about some bugs here and there, nothing game breaking though.
I'm further polishing the looks and overall playability until the initial release.

Please let me know what you think, any sort of constructive criticism is welcome, same goes for improvement suggestions!

Thanks for your time and have fun!

-The Colonel

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:13:14 AM by Colonel Justice » Logged

An idle brain is the devil's workshop.
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »

Hi,

I've played the game, it's pretty good, I think it has potential. Here's some feedback:

0. Music is nice

1. At the intro screen when the red text is typing there's some jumpyness. Like when one line ends the word at the end of the
line suddenly jumps to the next line, so it's hard to keep up with the text. IMO it's better to keep the letters where they were

2. DOS-like setup screen is nice, but i would add some artificial delay and a black screen with command
prompt before and after it, i.e. to make an impression that one program exited and then another started from the DOS shell

3. At the "select system" screen I can't really select anything, only "culina inferni". Those other systems
are typed in red - means they're locked ? That's not very obvious, m.b. a lock icon over them would be better...

4. In the game itself, the background and foreground objects are of the same tone, so it's hard to distinguish
them. It's better to make background objects less saturated. I never played stargunner, but after looking at youtube
video here -

I see that background objects there a bit less saturated, perhaps
you should do the same.

5. I managed to reach the first boss (from 4th or 5th try on normal skill) and beat him, but when the boss died he somehow
killed me and there was "game over" for me. I'm not sure what it was and why i died, m.b. because of the boss's explosion.
IMO boss death sequence shouldn't harm the player, i.e. I already won, right Smiley Why killing me afterwards ?

6. When the ship dies its exhaust effect continues to fly, is it a bug ?

7. When the ship flies on a mission there's a small cutscene. In the background there're some kind of boxes, I'm not sure I understand what they are... m.b. just remove them or change them to something else...

8. Regarding ship control, the ship has pretty low velocity damping, so that when I move down I can't immediately go up, because of that
it's pretty hard to dodge enemy projectiles. In general, I feel like I'm slow and my enemies are faster than me, m.b. it should be vice versa.

9. When my ship died and the pilot was flying there in open space it somehow managed to turn back into a ship after some time.
I didn't understand why that happened. But after playing some more I realised that it was because of a checkpoint, i.e. when the
pilot hits a checkpoint it turns back into a ship. m.b. make it more obvious somehow...

10. The pilot is even harder to control, it has less velocity damping than the ship, basically when your ship
is destroyed and you're in pilot mode - this means death in a few seconds, unless there's a checkpoint nearby Smiley

11. After 8th attempt I've beaten the first boss and that took me to the shop screen. IMO the same shop screen is
needed at the start of the game, i.e. I need to be able to shop before the first level as well.

12. It was a bit hard to shop, I had to click the item several times to buy it. Sometimes the
item that I bought only appeared in the slot after I pressed arrow keys.

13. The second level. I liked the second level more that the 1st one, it looks better.

14. The blue walls - I thought it was a background, so I hit them and lost some health. These need to be less saturated, see comments above.

15. The second boss dies easy and fast, but his attacks are pretty random and undodgeable, I would have probably died if it wasn't for
powerups that I bought

16. 3rd level is even nicer, I liked the waterfalls and stuff.

17. Enemies don't collide with walls, so when enemy dies powerup is left inside a wall.

18. 3rd level boss - much nicer, there's a way to dodge his attacks. I've actually defeated him without loosing much life. He only got me
with his red bullets a few times.

19. 4th level is hard, i died there right at the start, too many enemies and too many projectiles were flying at me, hard to dodge.
And when I wanted to replay it it turned out that I had to start from level 1. m.b. it's better to keep the progress...

20. I think that the game would benefit from post-processing, i.e. it has old-school style, so m.b. try some scanline pixel shaders or
something like that

21. No way to exit to main menu while playing, I had to kill the game process to exit.

22. Ship's secondary attack - I didn't quite use it, I don't know why. There has to be a way
to make the player use it, but I can't think of it right now...

So, that's my feedback Smiley Hope it helps. Good luck with your game!

Colonel Justice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:39:38 AM »

Hey,

first of all thank you very much for testing this thing and writing such a detailed feedback - it surely helps alot!
After going through your points, let me first say that there's valuable information. Since some development time has passed, some may have been already adressed, some others are fresh. So here we go:

0. Thanks!

1. Yes, it appears that there is line break in place which moves words if they get to long. Will be fixed in the next release.

2. Actually there's one when you leave the setup, but none when you enter so I will add it for some extra nostalgia Wink

3. Correct, the other three systems are locked. Only the first system is available right now and will be the only one in future demo releases. So maybe I just skip the selection screen in the next release.

4. True that, this is already being addressed right now. I'll append some screenshots afterwards. Let me know what you think of the contrast. The main reason for this is that the art has been somewhat fluctuating but it is now reaching a style that should be consistent. Hopefully :D

5. Yeah, there's a bug. In some occassions armor shell pieces may remain in which your ship/pilot will trust into after the boss explodes. Thanks for pointing that out.

6. Yes, bug. Should be removed when in pilot mode.

7. That's my sloppiness at work :D I changed some spritework last minute which was used in the cutscene. Will be consistent in the next release.

8. This is by design. But true, it should be communicated better to the player. The starting ships are somewhat mediocre in every aspect - including there maneuvering abilities. Key to improve that is to upgrade wings and engine. Wings affect acceleration, decceleration and maximum speed, engines affect maximum speed (the formula is base speed of wings multiplied with  engine power - you see the changes in the shop.). It is also true that the starting difficulty may be too hard to tell the difference. I'm taking the two points with me - better communication of the mechanic and lower starting difficulty - means slower enemies. To check out a speedy setup e.g. try buying wings like Liberty, Lichen or Iltis and combine it with an engine like Alpha Engine 1 or 2, Celestial Engine.

9. Will add some more nice flashy effects to underline the checkpoint mechanic. A checkpoint: refreshes your health, rebuilds your ship and lets you start from there when you die.

10. Yep, being a pilot is somewhat your last resort. In the initial build you spawned with a crappy machine gun level 1 that was even more hilarious. I may boost the pilot controls a bit, but essentially this will remain. In 2 player mode it tends to be a source of funny interaction, as good players prefer to remain pilot rather than to get rescued by a not so good 2nd player Wink

11. OK, lets try starting budget in the next release.

12. Yeah, there is still some weirdness in the shop mechanics sometimes. Have to figure it out.

13. K, thanks!

14. Will be dealt with as suggested in 4).

15. 2nd boss has very low health in this release, will be amped up in future releases. Basically he has to phases, lasers and bullets from the arms.

16. Glad to hear that Smiley

17. This is going to be better with an item attraction mechanic in next releases.

19. Yeah, right now it's over top if you don't buy the right stuff. Try it with a setup like 2xScattershot or MassiveLasers, 2x Plasma Mines or 2x Missiles and a body with Smartbomb capability. You need high damage output to overcome the big ships, also piercing weapons are good to toast the long chains of enemies.

20. I will play around with that maybe.

21. Yep, again sloppyness. Sorry!

22. Try it, you will get past stage 4 Wink

Thanks again for the comments and stay tuned!

Cheers

Ah, forgot the screenies:

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:42 AM »

Hi,

Yeah, according to screenshots the background now looks better, i.e. it really is "in the background". Good luck with making next beta release, if I have some spare time I'll try to play around with it.

Cheers!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:46:57 AM »

I'll give it a go, it looks really nice and competent! I'll tell you what I thought.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »

So I gave it a shot, and I like the vibe of the DOS menu, even if I wasn't a PC gamer by that time (PC were way to expensive for my family).
Sadly, I have an issue with the controls: for some reasons diagonal motion simply doesn't work from time to time. It makes it nearly impossible to play  Sad

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Colonel Justice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »

Hi skaz,

thanks for giving it a shot. As for the diagonal controls, I didn't experience such problem yet, it may have something to do with the keyboard buffering (or not Tongue). I'll check into that. Do you have a chance to play it with a gamepad?

Cheers!

Colonel Justice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 03:54:21 AM »

Coming back to the keyboard issue, try changing shooting to a key like shift or ctrl. It's most likely a thing with keyboard circuitry.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic