Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:36:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionMelly's Game-a-day entries! (Change of plans)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Melly's Game-a-day entries! (Change of plans)  (Read 7720 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »

I got little more than a day to make a cockpit game (not counting sleep). I'm using AS3/Flash, I'm inexperienced with it and I have no fucking idea what to do.

So I'm letting YOU people decide. Grin

What should I make my fellow TIGers? Kiss
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:37:17 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »

You've got a week!

Also: you are behind the cockpit of a Giant Naked Man, controlling him as he does all the usual Giant Naked Man things. Go!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

Wait, I do? o.o

Well that kinda makes this embarrassing. Embarrassed

But whatever! Still taking suggestions! Gimme!

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »

Wait, I do? o.o

Well that kinda makes this embarrassing. Embarrassed

But whatever! Still taking suggestions! Gimme!
Well, Derek only just changed it. I would like to expand Terry's suggestion to being behind the cockpit of a Giant Naked Gentleman.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

WHERE does it say that exactly?

Also, MOAR!! Mock Anger

Fuzz
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5438.msg175264#msg175264
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

Nobody else gonna give me ideas?

Am I REALLY gonna have to make a game about a naked gentleman? Shocked

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »

Not sure if I posted this already... it was an idea that I had but didn't use:

Reverse-Cockpit Simulator: You are looking directly onto the front of a starship cockpit much like in classic Star Trek episodes, where the crew is looking out at "you". It is your job to bombard the starship with asteroids, enemy fire, made-up sci-fi gobbledegook hazards, etc., and watch the little starship crew get flung all over the cockpit while dry ice steam wafts in from vents and the captain makes increasingly manly poses. I'm not sure what the goal would be yet (besides lulz), but it'd basically be a tamagotchi-like game.

Or, you know, Giant Naked Gentleman has a lot of potential too! Gentleman
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »

If it wasn't for the fact a game like that would demand ragdolls, I'd do it. Tongue

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »

Well, I'll tell you sort of a shaky unfinished idea I had for this compo (since there's no way I can enter this time), but it's kind of lame. No, it's just plain lame.

You're some cutesy girl who likes to collect (capture) cute animals, but as your collection of rabbits and other cute stuff is getting bigger, you grow somewhat tired of the very basic selection of cute animals your local forest contains. So, what do you do? You build a crab-walker exploration robot capable of traveling to, and capturing, exotic cutesy animals in far away locations.
So basically, I imagined this to be a sidescrolling 2D rail shooter kind of thing. You're the girl in the cockpit of the crab-walker (named crab-walker since it walks sideways, thus the sidescrolling view from the cockpit), and when exotic cutesy animals appear from the scrolling landscape in front of you, you use the controls in the crab-walker bot to somehow capture the creatures before they disappear/go off-screen (if it's a bird or something, I guess it might fly off-screen before you can catch it?), whether they be captured with extending arms from the bot, or teleported into crates that are automatically pooped out of some handy machine you have inside your spacious crab-walker bot.

I told you it was lame...

As far as an idea thought up JUST for you, hmmm... How about this (It still has to do with animals for some reason. LOL):
You're at the zoo. As you walk closer to where the elephants are located, you see that the zoo staff are allowing brief elephant rides that day for $15 each, so you get in line, 'cause obviously you don't want to miss out on this awesome opportunity. So anyway, the elephant has one of those boxy seat thingies attached to its back like they have in India (I have no clue what those things are called.). Once it's your turn, you're helped onto the elephant, and then as the creature starts to slowly walk and pound the ground with its massive weight, you realize that the boxy seat thing you're riding in (which happens to be the cockpit in this game) must not be fastened properly... Just to top it off, the zoo staff that's supposed to be keeping watch to make sure your ride is a safe one, well, they seem to have gotten in some sort of fight, and now they're throwing mother insults at each other (how childish). They start rolling around on the ground punching each other to death as you're sitting in this boxy thing that's swaying back and forth as the elephant walks, coming closer and closer to swinging down the side of the elephant, which would wind up throwing you to your untimely death (What a stupid way to die!). The object of the game is to keep your balance somehow, maybe from some kind of tricky keyboard control set-up. But there's another challenge of course... The elephant's smelly, but apparently you forgot to shower that morning, and now you smell worse than the elephant, so the black flies are now attacking you while you're trying to focus on keeping your balance. The trick is to keep your balance and smack the flies before they bite you (which would cause you to lose some balance), but also not to smack them too hard in the fear of jerking the boxy seat thing too hard.

Okay, you asked for help, and I tried (AND FAILED). LOL Screamy

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »

:D

Well, at least the crab-walker is inspiring. And crab vehicles are awesome.

UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »

Giant naked gentleman game or you will receive no candy from me  Lips Sealed

Actually, you know what? Make a giant naked gentleman crab cockpit simulation where you're a nude crab man and you have to battle giant aliens while defending your junk from mermen!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:09:18 AM by UltraJMan » Logged
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »

That's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard. It also gives way to tons of "sea"men jokes Durr...?

mirosurabu
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »

Here's one somewhat boring idea:

You walk into the crowd. You soon notice that everyone is starring at you. Some faces look surprised, some aghast, some are laughing and some are disgusted. You have no idea what's wrong.

It's up to player to figure out (or imagine) what's so wrong with you. You may like to hide a mirror somewhere so when one finds it one can discover the true reason (that you are naked or any other thing socially unacceptable).
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »

you are a bullet. you have to stay on course while shooting different things. Shrug

I have mooselike reflexes
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

A bullet that shoots MORE bullets? Awesome.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »

You are the gnome that lives under the cockpit. When someone above you presses a button you have to connect a wire to the corresponding socket.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »

here are some awful ideas (its quite late here- that's my excuse):

frogger from the froggy POV - though that's not really a cockpit, so - um robo froggy! Very low down with with cars and trucks thundering overhead.

cctv street camera - its an old one that can't be rotated, so you just have to wait (a LOT) until you see a crime, hit the red button to call the cops - then sit back and enjoy a biscuit. zzz

crazeee comet POV - steer a comet about, smash into small rocks to create more comet pieces (which creates more cockpit views onscreen) - avoid big things like jupiter which will absorb you.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

A bullet that shoots MORE bullets? Awesome.

Technically those exist in real life

I was about to include MIRVs in my game, but it would mean that if you're on the receiving end, you're pretty boned, because you wouldn't be able to intercept them all in time. Might revisit it and try to implement them in a more balanced way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:59:18 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

That's pretty sweet. But I meant shoots more bullets from a gun it carries. I am not a very realistic person, you could say. And, for some weird reason, the bullets would go FASTER than the one shooting it. And those bullets could carry guns, and so forth... Droop

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic