Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:24:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLand of Fire - Devlog starting again!! [Pixel-Art RPG]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Land of Fire - Devlog starting again!! [Pixel-Art RPG]  (Read 12432 times)
Pixelcomet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »

We've finally gotten a chance to work on ranged weapons, which are the basis of our ranger class. We started off with a bow which many consider mandatory if you want to have a archer-esque class. We wanted to capture the key characteristics of the classic archer. What initially came to mind were how versatile archers seem to be in modern media with their various arrowheads, versatility and of course deadly accuracy.

Within a few days we managed to get the basics of the weapon down. As you can see under normal circumstances you have a maximum range in which an arrow can fly before it hits the ground. So if you like to go ham and let a flurry of arrows fly in quick succession know that you only have so much range to work with.

After toying with this we realized something was left out. Archers are usually portrayed as deadly accurate and infinitely patient when trying to hit their mark. So how could we  replicate that mechanic, while keeping an air of fairness(homing projectiles were pretty much off limits for this situation, and since we have no tab targeting it would've felt pretty clunky)

After being stumped for awhile I was struck with inspiration after playing a little bit of battlefield. Oddly enough i was also playing the recon class. I wont't go into the details of BF but the tool in the game is called the soflam. This essentially is a manual targeting system used for guiding missiles.

This is what it looks like in the game. The idea is to keep your mouse as close to your target as possible. From their a target appears and after a fixed amount of time you'd be able to fire a 'focused' arrow that travels further and faster than an ordinary shot.

The focused shot in normal circumstance is a guaranteed hit on whatever you're aiming for. A well timed dodge however is always practical to avoid taking damage. We still have some kinks to iron out but so far I think we might be heading in the right direction

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »

The art is awesome. What engine are you using currently? (I noticed talk about "ported to a stronger engine")
Pixelcomet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2017, 04:46:01 AM »

Hey. Zireael glad u like it. The game is currently being built using vylocity.com the game is mostly written using JavaScript and HTML.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:36:55 AM by Pixelcomet » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

I heard JS doesn't scale well with bigger games - with many characters, complex calculations etc. (something something memory requirements). Is that true?
Pixelcomet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »

Well that's tough to say. We've had great performance so far. We are a small team and we have no intentions of creating  a game on the scale of most MMOs date so its hard to say if we'll run into those sort of problems.

Zane444
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »

This is the initial phase of a mock-up we made that depicts a climatic scene from our second pre alpha trailer!
It's been over a year since we made our first trailer and it really doesn't do the game justice in it's current state.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic