Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:10:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMissSpell
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: MissSpell  (Read 2888 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »

uploaded a new build to the Itch.io page. a lot of changes so check it out.

CBStegeman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »

Tried this for the first time. What attracted me to play was the awesome little graphics. Love the look of the world and the variety of the enemies. (The tree enemy was my favorite. That one surprised me!)

Played three times: died on the 1st try, got the spellbook on the 2nd and 3rd tries. I felt like things were randomly stacked against me on the 1st playthrough, but maybe that's because I didn't quite understand how the game worked yet.

Anyhow, the gameplay is really fun and tight. It was an enjoyable 10 minutes, everything seems well-balanced. Only question I would pose is, what kind of experience do you want players to get out of it? I enjoyed those 10 minutes, but felt like I saw everything I needed to see in that time, and don't need to play again. If your goal is to make just a little 10-minute game, then I think you've done a great job! If you want hook people to play longer, it'll just need increasing challenge and complexity in the player's move choices as the game progresses. Or you could make the game more reliant on multiple playthroughs to unlock items for future playthroughs. In any case, great work on this!
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »

Hey,

I tried the new build and here is what I found:

* The tree enemy is really nice. Gave me a surprise there and that was cool. I wasn't sure if others would like such a surprise without a tell before it so you can at least have some kind of way to plan ahead. Seeing however the previous post, you need not worry about that, I think.

* For some odd reason, I found the book in my first playthrough on floor 3. On my second playthrough I died on floor 6 I think and didn't find it an on my third I found it either on floor 3 or 4. Not sure.

* The Quake spell is nice, I am guessing it has an AoE like Scorch? Looks nice.

* I like the new ogre and the spider enemy, well done with the spider moving faster and can attack diagonally.

* The game now feels more diverse and has more content! Although things got a little harder than what I expected. Not by much but so far nothing to worry about.

* Leech item seem not to work. I had it equipped and I attacked a mob with 2/5 HP and it reduced my HP and then I healed back and attacked another mob went down to 4/5. I kept attacking mobs with it equipped until I reached 1/5 so I am unsure what is the percentage on that item, but it is sure feels like it isn't working.

I really like the game and I haven't found unlockables but I didn't pursue any consciously as I wasn't sure whether you implemented it or not.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 06:06:36 AM »

Thanks for testing out the new build guys.

CBStegeman:

Glad you like what you played, The tree is my favorite enemy also.

as for the 10 minute gameplay, that's kind of something I have been wrestling with. A lot of the enemies in this build will actually be hidden in the final game. By doing different tasks that the player would normally do (Beating the game, killing enemies, using spells) new items will be unlocked. I think just adding more content would make the game feel a lot bigger. I am thinking of it as similar to the binding of issac or spelunky. The game has a limited number of floors, but there is a wide variety of stuff to find. I also think adding events, monsters, or items, that are very rare might help out too.

Vallar:
- The dormant tree actually has a small visual difference, Its very subtle, but I could maybe make it stronger.

- as a test for this build I have the book show up on a random floor between 3 and 5. I wanted to see how that feels but I really don't like it. The final level will probably be level 8 I used 3 just for an easy test. Technically the player never even encounters the slime or the salamander because they are late game enemies.

- Yeas quake does 1 damage to everything on screen, including yourself, but that's very hard to read, so I may change that, but yes it is totally possible to kill yourself with it.

- Leech has a 15% chance. I upped it to 25% to see if that feels better.

- There were no unlockables yet, still figuring out what I want, so instead of figuring that out I jsut keep adding more and more enemies, and items.

CBStegeman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »

Hi Jason, this all sounds cool, look forward to trying another build in the future with your planned changes.

I didn't notice that Quake did one damage to yourself in addition to every enemy on the map. It seemed OP at first since I thought that it just automatically killed everything on the map. The 1 damage dealt to the player character balances it out nicely, although I think that needs to be communicated more clearly to the player, via SFX and/or stronger visual cue when you take damage.

Personally I didn't mind that the tree was a surprise. I didn't notice anything different about the enemy tree sprite and the normal trees. I think it's fine as long as the tree isn't able to take any cheap shots at you before you know it's there. (Although there's a strong precedent in other games to delineate these sorts of tree enemies in a way that's easy to see, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »

Yeah, I need to find a better way to show everyone taking damage. I do like the tree being a surprise but having a small mark that shows it as a Treant. Similar to the Mimics in Dark Souls where the chain goes the wrong way.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28:27 AM »

So more work on this but no new build updated yet. The game now has the unlock system working. As you win, kill, and cast spells they we fill up bars that unlock new stuff. Which is usually higher level stuff. For example once you win 5 times the book will now appear on floor 10 instead of 8.

I have a bunch of ideas for more stuff that I may roll into a future update. Some of them are
- enemy that deals 2 damage
- enemy that summons other enemies
- enemy that will smash trees to get to you
- spell that increases your max health
- treasure that lets you do 2 damage.

Jisan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »

A cute little game, I do have a suggestion Smiley

When you move, your enemies move after you. In between that time you're stuck in place for a short time. This is a bit annoying in my opinion, I'd rather you move as fast as you want, and the enemies move faster if you move faster, that way the gameplay would feel more smooth =)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »

so move the enemies based on the time it takes the player to choose their move?

Jisan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »

No idea how to go about implementing it, since I don't know the exact mechanics it currently runs under.

However, if it's a suggestion that interests you, try the following algorithm (quick fix):
- as soon as player choose their move, enemies immediately jump to their desired move, and begin their next move

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic