Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:59:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHyper Hype Drifter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Hyper Hype Drifter  (Read 4174 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »

so does that mean joe's game aka joe no geimu is cancelled?
here are the 3 versions of "joe's game" that have existed

1: joe's game, as seen in the trailer. used the underside engine, there was a soldier enemy in tiger camo that would yell things like "it's the hero of the fsa" when it saw you and bounce at you aggressively with its legs flailing. there was going to be an interstitial stage which was like super punchout but the enemy was a very large phil fish. arthur made a sprite for it, it was good

2: a parody of passage, where a foetus slowly grows and scrolls right as it travels through the fallopian tube, after being born and taking 2 steps you die of old age, then the text "progeria" fades in

3: i """programmed""" this thing with ledge grabbing wall kicking and ceiling climbing and punching and kicking and a "joeryuken" uppercut entirely with if statements but couldn't keep it all together in my head and left it on an old computer
JWK5
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »

my new game "hyper life rafter" is a music driven survival simulator with a pulsing electronica soundtrack
Or, as its US port is known, "Super Turbo Acid Dropper Championship Edition".
MrBones
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »

It's a solid game, art and music certainly didn't disappoint. I've been playing through and having fun for the most part, but something about it is disappointing me though, and I can't exactly put my finger on it.
Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »

I'm 3 hours in and literally the only thing I can tell people about the game is you're supposed to collect little pink triangles.

I appreciate the visual storytelling and all but holy shit is this obtuse. To the point where I have no motivation to do anything because it's all meaningless.

Gorgeous art though?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »

Got that feeling too, as if it behind all the flashy gorgeous art and solid gameplay, there is no soul. Empty shell
MrBones
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »

Got that feeling too, as if it behind all the flashy gorgeous art and solid gameplay, there is no soul. Empty shell

I'm 3 hours in and literally the only thing I can tell people about the game is you're supposed to collect little pink triangles.

I appreciate the visual storytelling and all but holy shit is this obtuse. To the point where I have no motivation to do anything because it's all meaningless.

Gorgeous art though?

I agree with both these statements, I think the game's direction can be a bit annoying because there's no direction. I appreciate the alternative approach to storytelling being solely visual, but I agree it doesn't work all the way. I'm having a hard time understanding the reason certain NPCs even exist; it's certainly not Dark Souls levels of lore exploration , but it seems like it's trying to grasp that.
I think the other problem is that it's trying to push Zelda-like exploration, but without the actual item collection/backtracking and using new items on old areas it just seems like a beautiful world without much actually to it.
Also some of the level design is horrible; in the second area the use of "hidden walls" is just plain frustrating and unneeded. I wouldn't say it's a completely empty shell, but it's not far from it.

edit: a bit off topic but i'd like to point out that the hitboxes are horrible as well
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:21:27 PM by Bonesy » Logged
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »

Finished it today and I liked it a lot... but there's still a lot of stuff to collect.

But yeah, I like the idea of visual storytelling but it's not easy to understand. I'm not sure of what the hell I just did.

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »

Finished it last night. Anyone else wondering where everything in the devlogs went? Feels like at least 50% of the game that was advertised is missing. I mean it was fun and all but damn...way smaller than I anticipated.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »

Finished it last night. Anyone else wondering where everything in the devlogs went? Feels like at least 50% of the game that was advertised is missing. I mean it was fun and all but damn...way smaller than I anticipated.

Yeah, I finished it with 6 hours... but apparently it can take up to 20 to finish it 100%.

Trying to do that now.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »

Just had my first real boss encounter. I appreciate that this game doesn't pull its punches, but geez, it sure can be demanding.

One thing I'm finding that I absolutely love is the ammunition system. Picking up or buying resources that get depleted when you use them is terrible, and waiting for cooldowns encourages degenerate gameplay, but making the gun recharge when you hit an enemy with your sword? Brilliant. It makes for exactly the right kind of risk-reward scenarios and feels great.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »

I remember talking with Alex about this at last PAX, and unsurprisingly it was mostly an issue of being able to release the game in a reasonable amount of time. And slso of course some ideas sound great on paper, but wind up being too fussy in implementation or having unintended consequences that conflict etc etc. AKA gamedev is hard :/

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 06:25:36 AM »

Yeah, I finished it with 6 hours... but apparently it can take up to 20 to finish it 100%.

Trying to do that now.

Finished it yesterday morning. Got all the triangle/gem pieces and clocked in around 14 hours.
Didn't get all the keys or find all the obelisks, however. So I'm probably at 85% complete. 

I'm not surprised content was cut. I would rather have a shorter + well polished experience anyway, personally.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

is anyone else surprised at how the media and players seem to be calling it "punishingly hardcore"? I dont think it was particularly hard, other than so-so controls, so-so hitboxes, etc. The boss fights were definitely challenging, but i dont think i had to play them more than a few times each. And Joar, who never really plays videogames, beat it in a day.

what do you guys think? is it Developer Vision super powers or maybe my dark souls obsession has paid off and i have finally Gitten Gud

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »

Difficulty is highly subjective, but I've found it pretty demanding so far. Everything feels nicely tuned and perfectly fair (except for one room just before the first boss that gave me way too much trouble for bad reasons). If I make a small mistake or have a lapse in concentration for a moment, most of the time the game seems to make me pay for it. It's "good" difficulty in that it's almost always clear which action of mine caused me to fail, but it sure doesn't pull its punches. I wouldn't consider "punishing" to be an inaccurate descriptor.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

what do you guys think? is it Developer Vision super powers or maybe my dark souls obsession has paid off and i have finally Gitten Gud

people just need to learn 2 git gut

I found it hit the sweet spot for challenge, but I also enjoy 'difficult' games.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »

even that bulletswarm robot bastard that everybody is complaining about... the game saved right outside of its room when i had one HP with no health packs and i didnt feel like backtracking, so just did it over and over until i beat em without being touched. I had grenades though, so probably has something to do with build, etc etc

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »

Difficulty is highly subjective

this bears repeating and is too often forgotten tbh. people have different skill sets.

i mean, just look at the souls megathread, we can't even come to a consensus on what's difficult within a single game haha.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »

Only boss that gave me trouble was the first one, from the forest. Defeated the other ones quite easily, most on my first try... even the last one.

At the last hours most of my deaths were out of overconfidence, I really feel like I got good at it. At the end I was combining all the special moves with the weapons and the dash, you can't go far by just mashing the slash button, I like that.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »

I haven't beat any bosses yet. Did a lot of exploration through the west and now working my way through the east. The game is really fun. I love the vagueness and the fact that all dialogue is in pictures.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:34 AM »

reviews like this concern me a bit: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/07/hyper-light-drifter-impressions-2/

personally, i thought the game was very straightforward and the goals extremely easy to understand, as far as what to do was concerned. cardinal directions and all that. if people thought *this* was too obtuse then i have no idea what they're going to think about rain world  Waaagh!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic