Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:32:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHyper Hype Drifter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Hyper Hype Drifter  (Read 4089 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »

reviews like this concern me a bit: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/07/hyper-light-drifter-impressions-2/

personally, i thought the game was very straightforward and the goals extremely easy to understand, as far as what to do was concerned. cardinal directions and all that. if people thought *this* was too obtuse then i have no idea what they're going to think about rain world  Waaagh!

That review sounded rushed, he didn't seem to play the game much in general and only explored one direction until the follow up article.

Modern Game Design (TM) handholds to such a severe degree if a game is even slightly obscure people will criticize it as 'obtuse.' 

However, there are people that enjoy taking time to understand and master a game's mechanics; Ex. consider the *Dark Souls Fanbase* as a demographic and how large it is.

(Note: Although I'm totally in favor of difficult games, I think it's important to have an accessible difficulty spectrum so players can enjoy the game on different levels regardless of background/experience). 

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:42 AM »

I finished the game last week, and really liked it! Stunning presentation, tight controls, great combat.
I didn't find it really hard, just... Fair? I think people found it difficult because contrary to most action games, enemies don't stop charging their attacks when you hit them. Therefore, you can't spam sword swings and just hope to kill everything.
I had big troubles only with the Northern Boss: the mountain area was the easiest of the four, but the last enemy wasn't really a "first boss". I had to return later with some power-ups.

I agree about the obtuse plot, though. I LOVE envronimental storytelling, but HLD doesn't actually try to narrate anything. I know people have deciphered the monoliths and found something resembling a plot, but I think this should be easter egg material. You can't actually hide all your plot, or people will play without feeling invested.
A pity. I feel with a little more clarity, this could have become a real masterpiece.

reviews like this concern me a bit: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/07/hyper-light-drifter-impressions-2/

personally, i thought the game was very straightforward and the goals extremely easy to understand, as far as what to do was concerned. cardinal directions and all that. if people thought *this* was too obtuse then i have no idea what they're going to think about rain world  Waaagh!
Oh yeah, I really hated that review. I usually enjoy RPS' articles, but this time they gave the game an unfair treatment.
Not all games are for everyone. Just give the title to someone able to play it, and let him/her explain who will enjoy it, and for what reasons.
Is it so difficult?

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »

john walker is often controversial like that

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »

Beat this game a couple days ago.  One of my favorite games I've played in a while.  For me at least, it was also one of the least frustrating "difficult" games I've played (probably the only times I got frustrated were some of the arena battles in the north path, which I did first.  Like John Walker, I thought that was the only path I could take at first, and it's probably got the hardest segments in the game of the first three areas you can reach.) 

I really enjoyed the feel of the game, and the level design was really clever overall.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »

the environmental story telling in HLD is the epitome of "placing skulls next to a toilet". aside from scaling, this is the worst thing the game does.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 02:57:41 AM »

the environmental story telling in HLD is the epitome of "placing skulls next to a toilet". aside from scaling, this is the worst thing the game does.
hey just as an aside if anybody ever finds themselves in tallinn, estonia: it is imperative that you dine at olde hansa if for no other reason than their spectacular toilets. google them. you won't be disappointed.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »

honest question: does anyone actually *dislike* skulls next to toilets?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »

make it a poll
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 01:15:17 AM »

So I've played 3.5hrs of this and I'm really wondering if I should continue. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or why. I think my mission is to collect triangles, but I don't know what they do. I have 3 from the north and 2 from the east. I can't find any south or west. The whole 3.5hrs was spent wading through tons of really easy grunts, which I found extremely boring. I came across 1 boss at the end of my 3.5hrs who was way too hard for me. I keep talking to people to find out what I'm missing but they just fob me off with pictures that mean nothing to me.

To the people who have played it all the way through, is the whole game like this? Have I missed something and been stupidly wandering around playing the game wrong?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:37 AM »

Is Hyper Hype Drifter a Zelda clone, because you swing a sword around and collect triangles. What more does a Zelda clone need?

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »

So I've played 3.5hrs of this and I'm really wondering if I should continue. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or why. I think my mission is to collect triangles, but I don't know what they do. I have 3 from the north and 2 from the east. I can't find any south or west. The whole 3.5hrs was spent wading through tons of really easy grunts, which I found extremely boring. I came across 1 boss at the end of my 3.5hrs who was way too hard for me. I keep talking to people to find out what I'm missing but they just fob me off with pictures that mean nothing to me.

To the people who have played it all the way through, is the whole game like this? Have I missed something and been stupidly wandering around playing the game wrong?

youre supposed to be finding and killing bosses. you need triangles to open the doors that lead to the bosses. this is clearly illustrated by doors with x number of triangles on them, that are locked.

all NPCs are useless and provide no information.

its odd, really, that people have so much trouble figuring out where to go. you can only go north, east, or west. the south area is locked out. locked out by big pillars with arrows on them, pointing in the other cardinal directions. as if you were to... beat those areas first or something.

considering how straight forward each area is (they are all fairly linear with off shoots for exploration), i wonder how much of this confusion of where to go is on the player not trusting themselves. you dont NEED someone, or something, to tell you where to go. you just go. go as far into one direction as you can, and get your shit slapped by a boss. cant beat him? go as far as you can into the other directions. you play the game to play the game.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »

It gets better as you figure out more of how the world works. Boss encounters are tough, but (at least of the three or four I've fought) should be doable the first time you encounter each one, and are important for progress. You can buy stuff in town that gives you additional tools to use in combat if what you have isn't cutting it. I thought the eastern area was a little bit weak compared to the others...once you get to the west and south, it really picks up again.

Also, there's a lot of hidden stuff. Look for ways to get into seemingly inaccessible areas, and you might be rewarded.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »

youre supposed to be finding and killing bosses. you need triangles to open the doors that lead to the bosses. this is clearly illustrated by doors with x number of triangles on them, that are locked.
Well I've only found 2 doors like that in the north and I only have enough triangles for one of them. At first I thought the boss in the north was where the big red skull on the map is. I guess they are in these doors then.

its odd, really, that people have so much trouble figuring out where to go. you can only go north, east, or west. the south area is locked out.
I can't find anything in the west. I think I found one of the gold squares that ping, but that's it.

considering how straight forward each area is (they are all fairly linear with off shoots for exploration), i wonder how much of this confusion of where to go is on the player not trusting themselves. you dont NEED someone, or something, to tell you where to go. you just go. go as far into one direction as you can, and get your shit slapped by a boss. cant beat him? go as far as you can into the other directions. you play the game to play the game.
I've walked around the north and east twice so far trying every nook and cranny I can see. It's pretty boring, especially as all the lame grunts respawn and you have to wade through them all again.

It gets better as you figure out more of how the world works. Boss encounters are tough, but (at least of the three or four I've fought) should be doable the first time you encounter each one, and are important for progress. You can buy stuff in town that gives you additional tools to use in combat if what you have isn't cutting it. I thought the eastern area was a little bit weak compared to the others...once you get to the west and south, it really picks up again.

Also, there's a lot of hidden stuff. Look for ways to get into seemingly inaccessible areas, and you might be rewarded.
Well I bought an upgrade to bounce back bullets, but it didn't really help much in the boss fight. As for hidden stuff I've found plenty, but the rate at which I'm progressing is too slow for me to want to do more. It feels like such a grind, and if I've got to grind for 3.5hrs between each boss then I'm out.

0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »

It took me a bit to figure it out but I manage to beat the game. I mean visuals are pretty straight forward. The hard part was finding the right areas to get enough triangles to fight a boss which gave me a heart attack on how hard it was.

Apart from that I think this game is really unique. I liked that it didn't use any dialogue to keep you guessing for what's going on. It's all self interpret but I didn't get lost in any way. I think the argument of not knowing what to do is game is not being able to explore try it out yourself. Back then we didnt have a lot of games of go here or go there unless it was linear. The visuals felt clear, you step by a ledge and your sidekick robot prompts you for a clue. Boom secret pathway. Once you find one, now you want to find all of them.

I did see gifs of air dashing, which I wasn't able to do. Did they remove it or did you have to find a secret to unlock another ability?

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »

I did see gifs of air dashing, which I wasn't able to do. Did they remove it or did you have to find a secret to unlock another ability?
I think air dashing was possible in the preview build but not in the final game. I never managed to do it, but maybe I'm just a noob.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »

There were a couple of times early in the game where I could have sworn I did some sort of air-dash, but I was never able to recreate it  Shrug

0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »

Unless did someone find all the secrets, maybe they decided to remove it?
Still havn't anyone who has.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »

I made it to 6hrs play time. I still only have 3 triangles from the north and 0 from the west and south. I can't find anymore in those areas, and I'm fed up of trying to walk into every wall and bush. I've been able to find 5 triangles in the east though and met my second boss. I still can't beat either boss I've found despite maxing out my sword and gun, and buying bombs. I find the minions so easy it's laughable and the bosses completely impossible.

I think I'm done with the game now. I've not enjoyed it at all.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 08:12:25 AM »

I made it to 6hrs play time. I still only have 3 triangles from the north and 0 from the west and south. I can't find anymore in those areas, and I'm fed up of trying to walk into every wall and bush. I've been able to find 5 triangles in the east though and met my second boss. I still can't beat either boss I've found despite maxing out my sword and gun, and buying bombs. I find the minions so easy it's laughable and the bosses completely impossible.

I think I'm done with the game now. I've not enjoyed it at all.

what. i beat the game in 6 hours.

the bullet reflect, and extra dash upgrades totally break the game. after you have those two every single boss becomes trivial. you only need 4 triangles per area to unlock the boss. secret areas and side paths are... pretty obvious.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »

I have those upgrades, but they didn't help me beat either boss. I can't get them down to half health so it isn't like I'm even close to beating them. The secret areas may be obvious to you but I'm clearly missing something. And as progression relies on finding those hidden things I guess that's game over for me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic