Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:17:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 35
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 35  (Read 16916 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »

Well, okay apparently spouse strictly means someone one is married too, but since that doesn't actually make any difference, whatever. Tongue Partner.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »

I've been waiting this LD since well.. the end of the last one :p This is going to be my second entry, will do the compo again.

But this time, I'll spend way more time testing other projects to get more feedbacks.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

#12/#14 for me, depending on how you count. It'll inevitably be C#/XNA again.

What's the matter with people? There was a decent amount of good themes during the weeding but the first round of themes to vote for today was horrible. How did it end up like this?

People vote for shitty themes. It's how we end up with winners like 'Two button controls' and 'Entire game on one screen'. This time around, we have wonderful themes like 'two colors', 'no text' and 'you only have 3 minutes', as well as wonderfully new and innovative themes like 'one item, choose'. The choices are also wonderfully diverse, with unique themes like 'Upgrade', 'Upgrades' and 'Upgradable'.

I hope the winner will not be something retarded like 'no text'; how am I supposed to build a game around the theme of 'no text'?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »

Round 2 was pretty decent tho! Some of my favourites from the weeding finally showed up. I actually had an idea that works for "one item, choose" but I got it from a different theme that was more open to interpretation earlier. This one, while it still enables my idea, seems like it would yield a lot more of the same than the other one.

Also, please don't use the r-word.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:49 AM »

I wanna try, I wanna try! I'm not a real programmer, I just know how to use Twine and Rpgmaker, but they seem too limited for Ludum Dare projects. Might be a good occasion to fiddle with that Stencyl tool lying on my desktop.
I don't really expect to accomplish anything, it's just an excuse to learn the ropes of a new program.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:17 AM »

That's the whole point! A short concentrated burst of game dev to help you learn stuff!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 03:03:13 AM »

I figured out the Twitter hashtag properly, I think.

I mentioned a couple of them in my initial post, but did say that #LDJAM is the one the official account says to use, but I thought the other ones were sort of useful for specification. But #ludumdare doesn't seem to get retweeted at all, and #LDJAM is the only one that is shown in the feed on the LD website.

So use #LDJAM exclusively, I think, even if you're doing the combo.

EDIT:
Update: I was wrong. #ludumdare does show up on the feed too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:15:10 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 03:06:05 AM »

I will use this information exactly once every four months. Thank you!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »

Great blog post on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/04/11/things-to-really-consider/

zilluss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Oh god yes, it's so annoying when I have to spread my fingers between the Z (QWERTZ ftw) and the X.

@zilluss | Devlog  Hand Point Right
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »

Well, okay apparently spouse strictly means someone one is married too, but since that doesn't actually make any difference, whatever. Tongue Partner.

"Marriage" is a legal formality. If you've been through five LDs together, then you are definitely allowed to use "Spouse".

I wanna try, I wanna try! I'm not a real programmer, I just know how to use Twine and Rpgmaker, but they seem too limited for Ludum Dare projects.

Real programmers use Butterflies. Twine makes an excellent jamming tool. RPGMaker will also work fine (assuming you have one of the newer versions that can export to html).

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »

My last LD was so shit I couldn't bring myself to go and look at the score afterwards. So yeah, hoping for better this time. I intend to spend a good amount of time brainstorming ideas rather than just diving in and coding the first viable-ish sounding thing that comes to mind.

The themes don't look any worse than normal so far, and the worst ones seem out of the running already.
Personally, I'm liking Microworld.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 11:46:58 PM »

I'm liking Microworld.
I didn't particularly enjoy LD23(Tiny World) so I'm hoping Microworld doesn't win. But the theme is usually rubbish and I have been known to ignore it completely so whatever.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:44 AM »

Themes are what you make of make of them. Try not to interpret them literally, and look at less common dictionary definitions of the word.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 04:59:09 AM »

All right, I guess I'll post this tip again...

If you're using Unity and are working remotely with a theme, using source control is a nice way to deal with it.

Here's how to set Unity up with git, using SourceTree, and hosting on BitBucket. Written for Mac, but it's more UNIX specific than Mac specific, and if you have git on your Windows box, I think the command line stuff is basically the same anyway, plus I think SourceTree has a built-in UNIX-like console anyway.

http://adamsingle.com/unitygitsourcetreebitbucketmactute/

Did this last time and it worked like a charm. Just set it up today again to be ready to start right away when LD starts, and it still works fine. May be some minor differences in Unity or BB since this was written, but just pick the closest thing and it shall work.

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 04:38:20 AM »

I'm in.

I'm backing "Companion" to win, seems to be in the final few themes each LD but never wins.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:14 AM »

Last LD was my first. Definitely in again! Coffee

Wisedawn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »

So, how do you handle the music if you decide to go the Compo route and lack digital music production abilities? Are there any tutorials I can follow to create something basic that sounds nice? I have been able to find plenty of random music generators (some of which generate nice sounding results), but all the tutorials I am able to find seem to be fairly rigorous and aimed at serious producers.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »

If it fits the game/theme you could try making something ambient rather than proper music. I did this once when I had nobody to help me and it ended up #66 for audio, which is crazy, because I'm really horrible at music, tho on rare occasions I manage to make something that's not horrible (I try it basically twice a year). So it seems it fit the atmosphere of the game even tho it wasn't actual music. Not being musical hasn't stopped me from learning the software to be able to play around with it, at least.

Wisedawn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »

That's a good idea, thanks! One problem I can foresee is that I may decide to go for a project that requires an energetic soundtrack. In any case, I think it is unlikely that I would have time to compose anything within the Ludum Dare timeframe, but it would be nice to know if there are ways to make music very efficiently (say, ideally under 30 to 60 minutes) without any experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic