Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:47:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 35
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 35  (Read 16994 times)
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »

< 2-1/2 HOURS TILL THE STARTING GUN PEOPLE!!!

I may or may not be overly excited about this...either way I'm sooooooooooo ready.

shellbot
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »

Super excited over here. This is gone be good Crazy
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »

Shapeshift, eh?

Good theme, but I'm drawing complete blanks right now. :/

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
shellbot
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »

All my excitement instantly turned into dread... Not liking this theme No No NO
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »

I think the problem with this theme is that it's hard to come up with something simple enough to make in 48 hours.  The standard "morph into different forms" idea already requires a lot of different mechanics and artwork for each form.

My idea was to be able to morph into very simple objects and use their properties to solve platforming puzzles but that already would require a physics engine that I've never really made before and probably would be hard to do in Game Maker.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 12:57:20 AM »

Tough theme yeah, wonder how other people are going to pull it off.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2016, 04:07:45 AM »

I think the problem with this theme is that it's hard to come up with something simple enough to make in 48 hours.  The standard "morph into different forms" idea already requires a lot of different mechanics and artwork for each form.

I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I only have to animated sprites so far :p No code, nothing.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »

Well, 1/4 of the way through the compo and I still don't have anything.  I might just skip out on this one.  :/

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »

Understandable. I'm at least going to finish my goal of making a raycast engine in Game Maker. We'll see were that goes. Learning shaders is neat!

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »

You know what?  I think I'll just use my idea I had for One Massive Enemy.  It still fits the theme somewhat and I never really went for a high theme score anyways.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »

This is my second LD (of a total of 2) where my possibly least desired theme from the finals wins. But I figured something out that sort of fits.

But I'm gradually realising how unprepared I am this time that the theme does not really matter. Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »

What have y'all got so far?

I'm getting into a habit of tackling more and more complex things every time it seems, so after my whole first day I haven't really gotten beyond almost-working controllers for this octopus.

But at least it's starting to look like something now. Marte has been building on the actual levels using my terrain thingy and Morten has been working on a different character's controllers (a frog). I don't have their latest stuff ATM so I'll wait until I get it to post it.

We're following the theme both mechanically and narratively.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »

So far so good, first day over, I have my sprites, textures, statues, and basic code is functional. I've even started the level design of the first level, to teach the bear mechanics. Tow more levels to grasps hare and crow, and I'll be good to make the REAL level, with animal combinations.
I'm fairly confident for the rest, now a good night of sleep!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »

Was looking at this and for a moment i thought i was lost looking at your Vatnsmyrkr devlog.
That's kind of cool creating stuff that could be transposed to your main game (if it's the case)  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »

Well that is quite a hard theme this time. I wouldn't get any good idea if any during the first 3/4th of the first day but I finally decided on something that is still going to be tight to make in such a short timespan. I've got a basic platformer engine with slopes and water going but there's not much worthy of showing as of now except this little idle animation.

That'll be a one tough of a jam, good luck to y'all.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »

Okay wow, I got my game world all modeled, textured, in the game, good to go basically...and I would estimate about 10% populated with desert-ish things I've tossed together...

Quite a bit left to do but all the most time-consuming tasks are out of the way.

So very tired, I'm off to bed...g'night tigsfolk and fellow jammers.  Tired

@Princessa: That's a cool octopus...very 'morphy' creatures by nature and a nice choice considering the theme.  Look up the mimic octopus when you have a free minute if you want to see nature showing us how shape changing is done lol.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 11:42:17 PM »

I'm in again and my entry is coming along slowly.

Took me awhile to come up with a game for the theme but finally decided on something and pretty happy with it so far.

We'll see how it turns out at the end though, since I always have trouble completing these things.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:14 AM »

Good morning,

So far I have the meager basics of a side-scrolling shooter. The player character is a witch that can shapeshift into a bird (altering movement speed, weapon strength, hitbox etc). 

I'm continuously deploying (rsynk-ing) the game here as I progress:
http://www.superattack.se/games/ld-35/latest/game.html

I have input handled and some collision detection. At the time of writing the next thing on the todo-list is to have something actually happen (and not just printed to log) when hit boxes overlap.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 01:23:43 AM »

I've wanted to take part in one of these for a while but don't usually find the time.  Today though I've got the house to myself and no responsibilities for about the next 10 hours, minus an hour or two to watch the F1, so I'm thinking I'll give something a crack  Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 02:16:18 AM »

Nice job by everyone so far! I'm starting to get farther but I'll wait to show something new until we've brought the mechanics together. We're still working in separate scenes.

Was looking at this and for a moment i thought i was lost looking at your Vatnsmyrkr devlog.
That's kind of cool creating stuff that could be transposed to your main game (if it's the case)  Hand Thumbs Up Right
I didn't think of it that way when the idea hatched, but it's definitely a bonus I realised soon. Tongue But it must've been in the back of my head somehow, because an octopus was actually what I was considering playing around with sometime soon in Vatnsmyrkr as well.

That's a cool octopus...very 'morphy' creatures by nature and a nice choice considering the theme.  Look up the mimic octopus when you have a free minute if you want to see nature showing us how shape changing is done lol.
Don't worry, I know my cephalopods. c; I guess we won't be using any colour shifting mechanics due to the art style we've chosen for this game. No ink either, I think. Just the squishiness.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic