Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:34:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhich essential games for better viewpoint on the industry for journalist?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Which essential games for better viewpoint on the industry for journalist?  (Read 1831 times)
Rareboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:11:14 AM »

Hello guys, I want to become game journalist/reviewer however, even when I have  played  some games, I think journalist who writes about game industry should have much wider viewpoint on the industry and on the games in general ... 

So I want to ask some game veterans, which games are/were essential and most important in the industry, which will also give a wider knowledge of games so I wont be "that guy" who reviews and has no perspective what was already made and so cant consider what is original, what is new, what is just reskinned crap and so on. Which games I should play so I will get this type of knowledge what I am talking about? (some list of games and reasons why to play them would be absolutely enough for me)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:14 AM »

take some writing classes instead.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:40:04 AM »

Focus on a genre and start playing lot of game from the same category taking the best and the worst of the genre with a sprinkle of random unknown game.

Read a lot of stuff about video game history.

Read a lot & play a lot...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:00:24 AM »

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ is a good site to learn about lesser known older games.
Rareboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »

I didnt mean that they have to be old just really important for the video games history, for example, in film: Pulp Fiction, 2001 Space Odyssey etc.
There has to be list of these games somewhere on the internet...
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_video_game

and it's quite relative. Pulp Fiction is mostly a cult film, i don't think it's really important in the movie history.
Rareboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »

Thanks a lot Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

you can find a lot of these lists by googling "most important videogames"

here's one: http://www.gamesradar.com/50-most-important-games-all-time/

Dragonmaw
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »

for a better viewpoint on the game industry, spend a decade reading film and literary criticism and theory, and then play some videogames afterward
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 02:27:13 AM »

I spent a decade reading music criticism instead, my bad.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 02:40:01 AM »

Must have been devastating the day you learnt Mamoru Samuragochi was an imposter
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »

When I want to get the gist of a game I might purchase I go on MetaCritic and look at the user reviews that are between 7-8. Almost every game has them and they almost always maintain the same principles: "I had fun with this game, but it had some flaws too. Here is the good and bad I experienced."

Reviews in this bracket tend to be pretty fair and reasonable, you don't get the feeling they are pushing some agenda or trying to exaggerate or anything like that they just played a game and they want to give you a rundown of the experience.

Come from that view point. It's honest, it's informative, it's useful. Whatever outside knowledge you want to sprinkle in there and puns and bad jokes and whatever else floats your boat by all means have at it, but as for the meat of your review just recount your experience with the game. That is all I, as a consumer, am really asking for (and is 99.9% of the reason I can't rely on "professional" reviews anymore).

Don't pollute the recounting of your experience, complement it but don't pollute it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:44:16 AM by JWK5 » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »

for a better viewpoint on the game industry, spend a decade reading film and literary criticism and theory, and then play some videogames afterward
this is literally dum

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »

play everything*, go out of your way to play things that you don't understand, don't shitpost on tigsource instead of actually writing the things you get paid to

*OR find a niche and cover it exclusively and thoroughly

Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »

don't shitpost on tigsource instead of actually writing the things you get paid to

fuck you i'll shitpost wherever i want Angry
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »

i can say for myself that i have never shitposted on tigsource.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »

nah seriously though there's not a functional 'game critique' you can learn from yet, so studying lit crit or, if you can't read, film crit, is the only play if you want to actually know what the fuck.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »

if you really want to go this route, don't read criticism, read aesthetic theory. in the end it's optional tho, nothing can replace knowledge of what you want to write about.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

nah seriously though there's not a functional 'game critique' you can learn from yet, so studying lit crit or, if you can't read, film crit, is the only play if you want to actually know what the fuck.
the joke here is that lit crit and film crit arent any more functional than not being versed in crit
the only functional crit is food crit

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »

the only functional crit is food crit