Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:12:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHASTE (Time-bending action)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: HASTE (Time-bending action)  (Read 3849 times)
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »

HASTE is a fast-paced first-person action game. Main feature of the game is it's time-bending mechanic: world slows down when player runs - it's helpful, considering that everything around tends to explode or crush player. Artistically game is inspired mostly by Half-Life and Crysis, gameplay is a combination of first Prince of Persia, F.E.A.R. and Half-Life 2 with more free movement allowing player to strafe in mid-air (it's really a feature, and many level-design choices were made around air control).

Specs:
Engine: Unity 5
Platforms: PC & MAC
Team: VR-Gamers
Status: Greenlit Alpha + 3 playable prototypes (4-th is coming in May 2016)

This is how the game looks now:

It's a test of double-skeleton IK-rig for first'person weapon holding.

Video of core gameplay recorded 2 years ago:

Other cool features:
- Semi-random objects rearrangement;
- Realtime music mixing;
- Try-die-repeat gameplay like in 90-s :D
- No regenerating health (guess it's quite a feature nowadays);
- Tricky secrets;
- Speedrun-friendly gameplay;
- On-Line scoreboards and more.
boustrophedon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:19:27 AM »

so it is like the opposite of superhot?

E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »

boustrophedon, it turned out to be SH's polar opposite, yes, but I seriously didn't even think about it when I wrote first prototype back in 2014.
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »

Adding a new aggressive NPC - hyena-hog.
TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »

I suppose there was avoiding that comparison.

I take it you have to hold the run button while you move in order to activate the slowmo? If so might I ask why the slowmo is chained to running?

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:57 PM »

mesh, there is no run button - protagonist runs on his own, but there is a Walk button =)
Slo-mo is chained to running because protagonist runs 10 times faster than world, but in his perception he's running at normal speed, that's why world is slowing down.
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:37:50 AM »

Added a grenade laucher.
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:05 PM »

I always thought, that it would be much more fun to let player attack while reloading. Not punching or pushing enemies away, but a bit weaker, but legitimate attack. So I came up with this idea: when player is reloading his grenade launcher and urgently needs to shoot - he will throw the grenade instead of inserting it into the chamber.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 04:07:13 AM »

please dont mess this up, this has a ton of potential, i really dig the texture work, the pace and that slowo demo from few years back looks amazing.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 04:53:04 AM »

The second video in the main post reminds me of mirror's edge. Looks pretty neat!

E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »

Time-space rift experiment:

There will be some puzzles involving time-space anomalies, where player has to navigate through the building, which is stuck between two time periods.

davidp, don't worry! I will do my best to provide the best gaming experience I can Wink

RujiK, that level is inspired by much older game =)
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »

New video featuring updated sounds, particle systems and projectiles.
It's also a first small test of slow-motion warfare I'm about to put players into.
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »

Found a new way to keep me focused on development: I now stream my progress on Twitch.
Here's a result of my 1.5 hours' stream - a new playable location for advanced players (newbies will be provided with less dangerous path).

gr0wler
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Yo this mechanic looks pretty sweet. 2 years is a long time, but keep it up! FPS games definitely need more innovation.
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »

Yesterday was the first time I ever went to a gamedev conference to showcase my game.
Despite sketchy visuals in the second part of alpha-build and torn pacing, players liked new demo a lot!
This demo was put together right before I left to the conference, so I had no time to test it properly, but on the event I had  full 4 hours to play it and see places that need to be refactored :D

Also wrote and animated tons of cool stuff to improve overall gameplay.
Hope that new prototype will surpass it's predecessors =)
TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »

So how exactly do the mechanics provide a challenge to the player? It seems if you have control over the speed of the world, it'd be a sinch to dispach baddies since they can't hit you easily if you keep moving.

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »

So how exactly do the mechanics provide a challenge to the player? It seems if you have control over the speed of the world, it'd be a sinch to dispach baddies since they can't hit you easily if you keep moving.

You lose ability to slow time when you take damage, stay in water or attack for a certain period of time. When it happens, you'll have to wait for 5 seconds for system to recharge.

E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 02:18:00 AM »

Basic Level-design of Proto4 is almost complete. Then I'll send my level to an artist to make it prettier :D

Found a new way to keep me focused on development and to push me away from distracting factors such as YouTube, Facebook and other interesting, but not so important websites -> I now stream my progress on Twitch. Usually I sit down for about 3 hours straight and working. Knowing that anybody can open my stream - I don't dare to distract myself :D

Here's the link to my channel - in case if you want to find something new: https://www.twitch.tv/e_cone
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »

A new friend for those, who'll try to swim across the lake in the upcoming Prototype #4.
It's always better with friends! :D
E-Cone
Level 0

Play.Enjoy.Repeat.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »

Almost finished teaching the Megafish how to follow player
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic