Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:42:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYume Nikki II ("2kki")
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Yume Nikki II ("2kki")  (Read 21464 times)
godsavant
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

As a handful of fans and a bevy of /b/tards are aware, some Japanese programmers have taken it upon themselves to begin making an unofficial sequel to Yume Nikki (you read correctly; Kikiyama, the original creator, has not endorsed or addressed this sequel's existence). The game shares  many visual, audio, and atmospheric similarities with the original, as demonstrated here:

Bedrooms: Yume Nikki Hand Point Right
Yume Nikki II  Hand Point Right

Hubworld: Yume Nikki Hand Point Right
Yume Nikki II Hand Point Right

Powers/Effects: Yume Nikki Hand Point Right Well, check 'em out, there's 25.

Yume Nikki II Hand Point Right

Some gameplay videos (

and

) of the current beta (thanks again of Enexodia).

Or just PLAY THE BETA FOR YOURSELF. After extracting the files, go into the read me. Go to the link and get the exe. Run it, then use applocale on the original exe.

So, what do you think? I know this game has its fans even in the West, but considering the cult following the first game generated, there's bound to be some criticism/backlash against an unofficial fan game claiming to be the sequel to a one-of-kind exercise in weirdness.
   More as a general question, do you think the freeware, unlicensed nature of many indie games entitles fans to make spin-offs and sequels without the consent of the original creator(s)?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:20:06 PM by godsavant » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »

Looks interesting, will have to try it. I didn't finish the first one yet, though. Probably should do that first.

I'm not sure about the motivations of the people making the sequel, so it's hard to judge whether it was a good idea or not. If it were me, I'd be flattered if someone made an unlicensed freeware sequel to one of my freeware games, even if it was pretty bad. Though if I were to do it myself, I'd probably ask permission before making such a sequel.

Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »

I can't believe it! I found out about this game yesterday, and now you're making a thread for it.  Shocked
This is kind of offtopic, but does anyone know if the first Yume Nikki is playable on Vista? I tried to get it to work, but it just won't. Sad
Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

Yume Nikki is an amazing game, although I haven't played much of it. I've uploaded an easier to use English version on Mediafire that was originally somewhere on Rapidshare. It doesn't need to use applocale or anything, it's just a simple installer. Here it is.
Are there any downloads of the sequel's beta yet? I think it will probably be pretty hard to make a sequel that matches up to the original, but hey, Yume Nikki is essentially just a 2D version of LSD.

EDIT: Wait, was that link you posted the beta of 2kki? Shit. Oh well, someone may be able to make use of the link to the original in the above post. The videos look pretty good, so I'm downloading it now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:38:03 PM by Fuzz » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »

frankly i think that unofficial sequels sucks, those guys needs to change the name or at least ask for permission, what if that japanese dude is working on a sequel too or intend to do it in the future?

if someone waste his time doing such a clone he doens't really have my respect even if he's a good developer, sorry. I think there's a lot more to explore so i don't feel anyone needs to stuck on a concept for too much without extending\improving it, expecially if it's not the original author...

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:57 AM »

How do we know they're not extending/improving it though?

But yes, I think they'd be more respectable if they instead made a sort of spiritual sequel, with a different name and different main character, but still based around the same idea. I think the exploration / atmospheric game genre is just starting up and there's a lot to do within it.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »

They just shouldn't call it "Yume Nikki 2" (or any variation that implies it's a sequel), but something like Yume Nikki Gaiden (silly, I know). Otherwise, as Eclipse said, it puts the original author in somewhat of a pickle when he wants to release a real Yume Nikki 2 and sees a game with that name already being popular and making the rounds. Makes it really hard for the originally intended sequel to establish when the niche is already filled.

Aside from that little thing though, I am looking forward to it, as I really liked the general weirdness and exploration of the original game.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »

How do we know they're not extending/improving it though?

from the videos it just look like a clone, or at least VERY similar to the original one, i don't really thing it looks better than the first one too, it only has different sprites clearly inspired by the ones of the first game... maybe it will feature a totally awesome and twisting experience compared to the first one, but it don't looks like it will, i'll accept that if it was done by the same guy to "complete" his game vision or to simply give more to his fans, but as he's not involved in it looks more like if The Underside author decided to use a character very similar to Quote and call his game Cave Story 2, at least he didn't it.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »

I think that may be hard to judge from a trailer, especially for an unfinished game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since some of the powers listed look interesting.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:18:21 AM »

Hey Nikki you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind hey Nikki hey Nikki

I like the little japan pun there (japun). 2 = ni. 2kki.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic