Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:38:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI want to make a game, but dread dealing with possible fans of it. [answered]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I want to make a game, but dread dealing with possible fans of it. [answered]  (Read 2202 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »

I would just ignore them or play into it, drama can be fun if you own it

hard to ignore the haters when youre big enough (or unlucky enough) to be actually harassed tho. not people calling you incompetent or lazy on the steam forums or whatever, but actual persistent harassment.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »

hard to ignore the haters when youre big enough (or unlucky enough) to be actually harassed tho. not people calling you incompetent or lazy on the steam forums or whatever, but actual persistent harassment.

Yup. Slightly tangentially, to any Tigsource members who were around during the time of Phil Fish, how bad was he really?

I don't mind the guy, because hell he made Fez, but was the amount of backlash ever deserved? I feel like he became a symbol and stand-in for indie game hipster-ism (which honestly we're all guilty of to a degree)...

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »

Phil Fish, how bad was he really?

as a tig member? pretty ok aside from one thread, as far as i can remember. he has posted dickish things on twitter and elsewhere, but from what i know i'd say he is an ok person overall.

was the amount of backlash ever deserved?

no. phil fish haters are a 1000 times bigger problem than phil fish will ever be.

anyway, your post is going to irritate some of the older members (me included to be honest) because we've been over the whole phil fish debate so many times.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »

anyway, your post is going to irritate some of the older members (me included to be honest) because we've been over the whole phil fish debate so many times.

Yeah sorry about that. Didn't mean to open up tired old debates. Shame we'll never get Fez 2 though.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
talum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 03:24:11 AM »

The key is not to be a douche on twitter.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 05:07:28 AM »

I suffer from panic disorder,, anxiety etc.. and I cannot even stand the pressure from people that demands things...... That is why im skipping Kickstarter completely... Smiley This mean my game might take 20 years before its done!
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 08:42:50 AM »

Focus on making the game first, and then sort things out later. There's no point thinking about something like this right now. It's like asking where you should invest the millions of dollars you're going to make before you've even written the first line of code.

Also, I can almost guarantee you that if your game does get a lot of fans, the last thing you'll want to do is avoid them. No amount of social anxiety or agoraphobia will be able to suppress the rush of excitement that comes from people talking about your game. But again, don't waste time thinking about this now as it's completely pointless.

Chaotrope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:17 PM »

It really doesn't seem like you'll have to get super involved with your fans unless you're actively trying to.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic