Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:09:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Web][iOS][Android] bananadoh - tile tapping, banana-laden action puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Web][iOS][Android] bananadoh - tile tapping, banana-laden action puzzle  (Read 756 times)
staff0rd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

Hi all, this is a game I wrote in HTML5 and am currently distributing on Web, iOS and Android.

Any feedback is good feedback, but I'd especially be interested in feedback specific to balance - how hard the game is.  Is it too hard, is it too easy, is it just right?

It takes a few goes to start getting good/quick at the game, so in the spirit of playtesting I'll provide some hints on speeding up that process;

• Tapping a tile always rotates the tile the same way - clockwise.  As such, tapping a straight tile a total of twice will rotate the tile back to its original position.  Tapping a corner tile a total of four times will rotate the tile back to its original position.
  • Collecting pickups causes a new row on the playfield to be added and a row on the opposite side to be removed.  The row chosen to be added is based on the direction the truck is/will be facing when it exits the tile it made the pickup on.

I'd love it if anyone could share their thoughts on the difficulty, and if you could also please share your high-score and how many games you played as it kind of gives a measurement of how difficult the game was.

Those links again;

Otherwise, here's some screenshots and a description of the game;

bananadoh is an action puzzle featuring a truck that has lost its bananas. Rotate tiles in order to keep the truck on the road as it journeys through a colorful game world, and relish in the fruits of your high-score. bananadoh features a range of unlockable tiles and pickups, and every level is procedurally generated ensuring a unique experience each time you play.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:56:40 PM by staff0rd » Logged

Play bananadoh - tile tapping, banana-laden action puzzle on Web, iOS and Android.
laffertyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »

-Nice look and feel of the game. (Art and UI)

Suggestions:
-It is way too hard (at least for me and my kid). I would slow down the truck. With out getting a red banana, my high score was 3, with the red banana it was 12. These low scores came from me playing several times.
-Hard to tell what is happening with the gray ground being added in. You might want to make this slower or more intuitive.
-If you slow down the game, it might be nice to see other obstacles: rocks, other cars, water. (From the screen pictures it looks like there might be.) Maybe I just didn't make it that far.
-Maybe the car should speed up as you collect more bananas.
staff0rd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  A lot of other players have also found it a bit steep with the starting difficulty.  I have a build that I'm working on that should make the game much easier for new players whilst still allowing regular players to get the speed kicks they need.

Additional game mechanics and scenery items are revealed as your score increases, and, the truck currently speeds up whenever you pick up the red chillis.  I'll let you know when the new build is uploaded.

Play bananadoh - tile tapping, banana-laden action puzzle on Web, iOS and Android.
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »

I gave this a try. Loved the look & feel. Very clean and polished. I actually didn't mind the difficulty - I stumbled on my first couple runs but then started getting the hang of it. Rewriting old paths quickly became crucial.

It did feel slow. I don't know how to adjust that without making it brutally difficult, but sometimes it just seemed to crawl while I waited for my truck. Maybe start with a bigger scene so I have more to tinker with and can plan ahead better?

staff0rd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »

I've added several updates since I originally released this, including;

• Added difficulty modes.  Starts off a lot easier now - although in saying that the game is still too hard for some people.
  • Added leaderboards iOS (Game Center), Android (Google Play), Newgrounds, Kongregate
  • Added achievements on iOS, Android and Newgrounds
  • Added youtube trailer (edited into original post)

@laffertyr I'd be interested in knowing whether you (and your kid) find it any easier with the added difficulty modes.  By default it starts on easy (blue) which is considerably slower than when you first played it.

@bdsowers You would have played it after I added the difficulty modes Smiley  The original speed of the game was the green mode.  If you find blue too slow, try green but just limit how many chili's you pick up and aim for the glasses of milk if you get too fast.

batemanapproves
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:19:58 AM »

Unique look and playstyle. Reminds me of pipe dream but more optimised for touch controls! I enjoy the difficult nature of the game. That being said I feel like the slow beginner game is too slow and the next difficulty level is much faster leaving me with no middle ground. The slow game does not ramp in speed quickly enough for my liking. I have to wait for a red chili to speed up which does not come around often enough imho. Might be difficult to implement but a right click option of some sort to rotate the tiles the opposite way would help. The mechanic where the board changes due to picking up a banana is not explained in your brief intro tutorial (was not sure why the board was changing until my third or fourth play).
All being said and done really enjoyed the game! Keep up the good work!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic